Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » give me your advice! freakin out here...

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: give me your advice! freakin out here...
Spitfiremk24
¯
Member # 5698

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spitfiremk24  Ford pictures for Spitfiremk24    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
whatsup guys

so I got kuhmo ecsta MXs on my car, and I really like em. was getting a tire patched today, and I asked if they could check the tread life and give me a ballpark on how much life is left. He says about %50 tread left.

WHAT? I got these tires a couple weeks before christmas!!! I can understand, I mean they are "ultra high performance summer" tires, so I wasnt expecting them to last forever, but I havent raced on them, and I drive relatively easy on them on the street. I have put probably 2-3 thousand miles on the car MAX since i got them. Is this abnormal? or what?

So heres what I am thinking. Since I take my car to the occasional autocross and track day, I have always thought about getting a 2nd set of wheels for my car. That way, I can have some ugly wheels with crappy rubber that will last forever on the street, and have a set of tires to swap on for when I race. You know how it goes.

I think that I really want to save these tires. Get a set of like v6 wheels on craigslist for like 300 bucks or something, and just save these kuhmos for the track. Is that a good idea?

In terms of wheel shopping, Id appreciate any advice you can give- will any ol 5 lug mustang wheel fit on my car?

And NO. I am NOT going to get a set of 18 inch chrome five spokes for some bling on the street... the whole idea here is to make some wise financial decisions.

Its going to take some pride swallowing, but I think I might even sport the v6 wheels on the street. I am trying to save money here.

Anyways, I am sure you are tired of reading, but just let me know what you think. Thanks!!

[ February 19, 2006, 01:25 AM: Message edited by: Spitfiremk24 ]

--------------------
04 GT

50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50Reasons  Ford pictures for 50Reasons    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sure you could fit 15s on your gt as long as you dont put 13 inch rotors on it but any 17" tire you put on your stock gt wheels is going to have a short life span there soft tires

--------------------
50Reasons Car Club President
Daniel/50Reasons
http://youtu.be/n_UkDg_F4MQ
https://youtu.be/066xRvxKy-g

Posts: 9483 | From: Sacramento Ca | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for twisted54  Ford pictures for twisted54  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Don't believe what the tire sales or installer say as they want you to buy tires. Look for your yourself and see how much rubber is still left above the wear bars in between the tread.

I use to work at the Wheel Works in Walnut Creek and I recently put some new rear tires on our Expedition. My wife got a call on that day from the sales guy and he said we needed new front tires soon. I checked when I came home and they weren't even close to being worn in any way.

--------------------
2013 Black on Black 5.0 with Boost N Things - CORN FED 🌽

SPEC -Fabrication
¯
Member # 4980

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SPEC -Fabrication  Ford pictures for SPEC -Fabrication    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I run the SAME Kumho exta's MX, I have made my fronts last over a yr and the rears well thats a different story [Big Grin]

--------------------
1999 Saleen#124
1997 Tahoe
2006 ZX636R
CWS certified welder

Posts: 1321 | From: drinkin BEER! | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
Spitfiremk24
¯
Member # 5698

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spitfiremk24  Ford pictures for Spitfiremk24    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 50Reasons:
sure you could fit 15s on your gt as long as you dont put 13 inch rotors on it but any 17" tire you put on your stock gt wheels is going to have a short life span there soft tires

is that really true? how about the 90 dollar kuhmos, do they last much longer do you think?

thanks

--------------------
04 GT

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by twisted54:
Don't believe what the tire sales or installer say as they want you to buy tires. Look for your yourself and see how much rubber is still left above the wear bars in between the tread.

Agreed, NEVER ask a Tire/Brake salesman anything about your car they will always tell you its time to replace. Always look for yourself.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Spitfiremk24
¯
Member # 5698

well the tread LOOKS fine, but I mean the guy whipped out this measuring thing on the spot and started doing all this math, he guessed how much tread the tires had brand new, and told me %50, and I believed him...

say.. how do I check the tread life myself? is there any place I can find the tread measurments when they are new?

thanks guys

--------------------
04 GT

Camaro Kid Z/28
¯
Member # 3100

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camaro Kid Z/28  Ford pictures for Camaro Kid Z/28    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
go on line to whatever brand you bought! all manufactures have tread wear rating of thier tires and tred depth brand new! i am sure you can buy a tread depth measuring tool! the UTQG rating is how long a tire should when properly serice and maintained!

Basically soft tires wear faster, usually the higher speed rating tires (ie: V,Z,W,Y-130 mph and up) so if your rating is like 200 then they will faster than one of lets say 400! that why tire prices vary so much! Allot of people tht buy new cars complain they only get about 10-20 K on the set of tires that come with the car. (Higher end cars mind you)

check this out...

The Treadwear rating is a number based on a vehicle test where tires are compared to a control tire. The rating is based on a percentage in projected wear life. So a tire rated at 400, projected twice as far as a tire rated at 200. Since there are many factors that influence wear, such as vehicle speed, road surface, climate, vehicle alignment, and driving habits, these ratings are merely an indication of the wear characteristics of the tire.

The Traction rating is a letter based on a straight-line wet surface braking test. The ratings are AA, A, B, and C. AA is the highest rating possible. The AA rating is relatively new and many tires currently rated as A might qualify for an AA rating, but have not yet been tested. It is important to remember that the test does not test hydroplaning resistance, nor dry or snow traction nor, cornering capability - wet, dry or snow.

The Temperature rating is a letter based on a step speed test. The possible ratings are A, B, and C. The rating is a bit of a misnomer. While temperature does play a role in the speed capability of a tire, it is not the only factor.

It is important to note that these ratings are based on standardized testing conditions. The tests do not reflect tires operated overloaded, underinflated, and/or misaligned. It should also be noted that one tire might be a low "A" and another a high "B", so the actual performance differences might be small.

It is not uncommon for there to be differences in UTQG ratings within a given tire design. Sometimes a vehicle manufacturer will require certain properties for the tires supplied to their vehicles, which can affect the ratings, both positively and negatively. Sometimes there are differences between small sizes and large sizes in a given design. These things can affect the actual rating put on the sidewall.

One little quirk: Testing tires for treadwear can be an expensive proposition. So the government merely asks the tire manufacturers to be able to justify their rating. In my experience this seems to mean different things to different people and a wide range of "justifications" are being used.

Another little quirk: Each tire manufacturer has its own philosophy about UTQG ratings, especially when it comes to the treadwear rating. Some view the rating as a huge marketing tool, while others tend to think of it as an implied warranty. Be cautious when you compare ratings - they may not be "apples to apples".

--------------------
1973 Camaro Z/28(clone)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2649130
"4-eyes forever essay!"

BlackDrop50
¯
Member # 1715

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackDrop50  Ford pictures for BlackDrop50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
They only have a 200 treadwear, plus they are ultra high performance with like a Y or W rating.
Posts: 1379 | From: 510 East Bay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com