Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » LEOs and other officers...POST academy ?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: LEOs and other officers...POST academy ?
z pyro
¯
Member # 3745

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for z pyro  Ford pictures for z pyro    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I know that pretty much all agencies require POST certification, but I'm not completely sure about how you get it. You go through an academy, right? Don't you have to be 21 to get into most academies? I know Sac PD has the Recruit program and you only have to be 18. And Sac Sheriff's minimum age is 18 as well. What other agencies around here (Northern/central cal) have similar programs/requirements? thanks for any help in advance

--------------------
'95 Integra LS
'08 Buell XB12R Firebolt
'65 Mustang 289 - soon to be 306

Posts: 1732 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
kingmoochr
¯
Member # 5834

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kingmoochr  Ford pictures for kingmoochr    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
do a quick google for post academies. you can either apply to an agency and if selected, they send you to a POST program, or you can attend a POST program like any other school, apply and pay money. you are generally paid to go if you are hired by an agency first, so thats the avenue id try for, but you are a much more desirable hire if you already attended.
IRISH
¯
Member # 1629

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for IRISH  Ford pictures for IRISH    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by z pyro:
I know that pretty much all agencies require POST certification, but I'm not completely sure about how you get it. You go through an academy, right? Don't you have to be 21 to get into most academies? I know Sac PD has the Recruit program and you only have to be 18. And Sac Sheriff's minimum age is 18 as well. What other agencies around here (Northern/central cal) have similar programs/requirements? thanks for any help in advance

Go to www.post.ca.gov

There you should have more info for what you need. But in California you have to be 21 to own a firearm. Well what do Police use! On most PD's and SO's you have to 20.5 at the time you apply. If your looking for a good spot. Try Alameda County Sheriff's Office. We are going to be hiring for a Non sworn position. Check the web page. http://www.acgov.org/

Good Luck

9Roush8
¯
Member # 2472

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9Roush8  Ford pictures for 9Roush8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a few people in my Academy that are only 20 years old... Your POST is good for 3 years.

--------------------
2001 SVT Lightning
Belltech 3/4, 22" rims, slotted rotors, magnaflow high flow mids, bassani catback, JLT CAI

t top freak
¯
Member # 6269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for t top freak  Ford pictures for t top freak  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i think sierra college offers a post academy. i often see the piglets outside the classrooms in uniform when im going to class

--------------------
1994 cobra - sold!
1986 t top gt - parted out and sold!
on the hunt for another

Posts: 1023 | From: sacramento | Registered: Dec 2005  |  :
sharkattack
¯
Member # 645

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sharkattack  Ford pictures for sharkattack    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If your under 21, I say go to school. Take AJ courses and pick up some life experience. Don't throw away money on an academy. Find an agency that will put you through one when you get hired. If your set on putting yourself through wait till your a little bit older. Most agencies want some life experience. We hired one 21 year old in the last 10 years and he washed out of FTO. Just too young!

--------------------
1965 Fastback

03 Cobra with some stuff

SmokeyBurnout
¯
Member # 5745

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokeyBurnout  Ford pictures for SmokeyBurnout    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Now that the LEO's are all in one thread, I have a question. Is anyone interested in giving me a ride-a-long?

I used to be a cadet for OPD but found out that my color blindness was going to stop me from getting hired on as a LEO. It's still my dream job so I have to live with going on ride-o-longs every once and a while to get my fix.

Sorry for the hijack but please PM me if anyone can hook something up. Thanks! [Smile]

z pyro
¯
Member # 3745

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for z pyro  Ford pictures for z pyro    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SmokeyBurnout:
Now that the LEO's are all in one thread, I have a question. Is anyone interested in giving me a ride-a-long?

I used to be a cadet for OPD but found out that my color blindness was going to stop me from getting hired on as a LEO. It's still my dream job so I have to live with going on ride-o-longs every once and a while to get my fix.

Sorry for the hijack but please PM me if anyone can hook something up. Thanks! [Smile]

i'm pretty sure you have to go through the agency. just go to the PD and ask about it. they are pretty fun though [Big Grin]

and I'm still going to school, takin 18 units this semester. I failed the interview for Sac PD recruit so I have to wait a year to reapply

--------------------
'95 Integra LS
'08 Buell XB12R Firebolt
'65 Mustang 289 - soon to be 306

Posts: 1732 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
SmokeyBurnout
¯
Member # 5745

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokeyBurnout  Ford pictures for SmokeyBurnout    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by z pyro:
quote:
Originally posted by SmokeyBurnout:

i'm pretty sure you have to go through the agency. just go to the PD and ask about it. they are pretty fun though [Big Grin]

and I'm still going to school, takin 18 units this semester. I failed the interview for Sac PD recruit so I have to wait a year to reapply

If you know an officer/deputy they can set it up for you. I've been on about 7-8 rides before and about 5 of them were set up though the officers. If I could, I would go on a ride at least once a month or so, lol. [patriot]
slidewayz94
CAFords OG
Member # 3101

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for slidewayz94  Ford pictures for slidewayz94    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I put myself thru and luckily got a job offer a couple months before graduating. Sac P.D. and Sac Sheriff combined academies so they have a regional training center. At the same faciilty is the fire training as well now. Although I think P.D. and Sheriff are splitting apart again [Confused] (not sure just rumors)

We have a few guys on my shift that are only 20 so being hired young is attainable. Like sharkattack mention you will need to prove life experineces such as having jobs, credit, paying bills on time etc.

I would also say finish at least your AA. I am trying to balance going back to school with 12+ hour work days.

Joooestang66
¯
Member # 2828

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joooestang66  Ford pictures for Joooestang66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Whats the best way to apply for a cadet position for Sac PD/Sheriffs to get sponsored to attend POST? I applied online but those never really get anywhere.

--------------------
"Don't Drive Faster Than your Guardian Angel Can Fly..... Well My Guardian Angel Can Fly Pretty Fuc*ing Fast!!!"

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com