Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » what would you do?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: what would you do?
Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am driving our 2001 Civic EX auto up I5 from San Diego the day after New Years Eve. I get about 125 miles outside of SD and begin entering Los Angeles.

I start noticing that the tranny is slipping. The motor is free revving while in gear. It catching and transfering power, then slipping. This goes on for about 1 minute. After 1 minute it went neutral in every gear. I put the hazard lights on and get out of the car in the pouring rain and push it off to the side of the road. The A-hole behind me actually had the nerve to honk while I am pushing the car. LA drivers, lol.

Because I don't know shops in that area nor did I really know where I was, I had the car towed to the nearest Honda dealership. This was on Sunday and I was told the service dept was closed until Tuesday. I left the keys in the after-hour drop off box with a description of the problem and caught a flight home from LAX late that evening. It was a LONG day.

I got a call from them a few minutes ago confirming that the transmission was burnt and needed to be replaced. The worst part, they are claiming $3700 + possible tranny mount cost ($150) for parts and labor. Amazing what a dealer will charge for a foerign tranny swap.

Anyway, just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas for me. If this happened locally, I would probably try to locate a used tranny and swap it myself. I've done 4 transmission swaps although never on a foreign front wheel drive car.

If I am not mistaken, Honda changed the tranny in 2001 so finding one might not be easy.

With towing averaging $7 a mile, I was not interested in having it towed 400 miles.

2001 Civic folks. I thought these cars were the poster-child for affordable economical reliability.

[Frown]

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would probably make the trip back with a truck and a tow dolly from uhaul and tow it back.

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
89point.
¯
Member # 6078

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89point.  Ford pictures for 89point.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i would do what fostang said to do and take a better look at it and see if its something you can do, or see if there are nay honda websites like cafords and see if there is a good mechanic on there that can do it for you. it might be expensive but i dont see it being anywhere close to 3700.
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
LA has about eleventy billion foreign car repair shops, pick up the phone, call a few, see what they'll quote for a transmission swap.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

Joooestang66
¯
Member # 2828

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joooestang66  Ford pictures for Joooestang66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Im not a Honda guy but that price seems reasonable for a remanufactured transmission plus labor. Plus you'd get the warranty.

--------------------
"Don't Drive Faster Than your Guardian Angel Can Fly..... Well My Guardian Angel Can Fly Pretty Fuc*ing Fast!!!"

88gt
Custom
Member # 579

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88gt  Ford pictures for 88gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My cousin had almost the exact same thing happen with his wife's Honda Civic. Driving to the Bay Area from So Cal, they cross the grapevine and stop to get gas. They turn the car one, put it in drive and the tranny catches just slightly, then just starts revving. They towed it to a Honda dealership to have it looked at, and the next day the dealership called and said even though the tranny and car was past it's warranty, they'd give them a new tranny for free, they just needed to pay for labor.

The car/tranny had about 86k miles on it.

Perhaps you could call Honda and see what they say? Maybe they could cut you a deal depending on the mileage of the car, etc.

Posts: 1482 | From: Santa Clara/Bay area | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Joooestang66:
Im not a Honda guy but that price seems reasonable for a remanufactured transmission plus labor. Plus you'd get the warranty.

[patriot]

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 88gt:
My cousin had almost the exact same thing happen with his wife's Honda Civic. Driving to the Bay Area from So Cal, they cross the grapevine and stop to get gas. They turn the car one, put it in drive and the tranny catches just slightly, then just starts revving. They towed it to a Honda dealership to have it looked at, and the next day the dealership called and said even though the tranny and car was past it's warranty, they'd give them a new tranny for free, they just needed to pay for labor.

The car/tranny had about 86k miles on it.

Perhaps you could call Honda and see what they say? Maybe they could cut you a deal depending on the mileage of the car, etc.

Funny you mention that mark... Back in 2002, I was driving down the Grapevine and lost OD in my 92LX hatch AOD. I drove the car in 3rd the rest of the way home at about 40-50mph, lol...
I found out that the plastic grommet that holds the TV cable got brittle over the years and broke off.

All you aod guys, I strongly suggest you swap the plastic grommet to a metal O-ring. Its just a matter of time.

Honda was not willing to cut me any deals unfortunately.

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
OldSchoolFormula
¯
Member # 823

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for OldSchoolFormula  Ford pictures for OldSchoolFormula    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd be calling LA shops down there and seeing how much it would be to swap the tranny. If you can find the parts up here to do it at significantly less cost, I'd go back down there and rent a u-haul and a trailer and trailer it back.
88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I believe $3800 is a ridiculous amount for a Honda transmission.

Here's one for $700 shipped:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001-Honda-Civic-Used-Auto-Transmission-HB08_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33727QQitemZ8014314277QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

There's tons of auto shops down there that will cut you a deal and Honda junkyards that have 2001+ "improved transmissions". You just gotta sit down and make several phone calls and cut through the BS.

There's a HAP (Honda Auto Parts) center in American Canyon and Rancho Cordova that deals with junked Hondas that give prices cheap if you haggle with them in person with cash. I couldn't find the American Canyon one though. PM me if you want me to look harder for it.

Rancho Cordova HAP
3450 Recycle Road
Rancho Cordova, CA 95742
Toll free: 800-999-9499 Local: 916-638-3311

N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
88drop
I was just about to suggest them.

There are all kinda of salvage yards over there. My neighbor just replaced his tranny at a honda dealership here in stockton and it cost him 2500...and I felt that was too high. I think those dudes are ripping you off. I got a remanufactured tranny with warranty for a mitsubishi galant I had for 1300+400 to put it in. I would definately suggest you tow it home then do some research.

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sell the Civic somehow, and save yourself the heart-ache.....

.........Just my .02

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
03smknsvt
¯
Member # 5514

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03smknsvt  Ford pictures for 03smknsvt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
id be down to go down for the trip and sight seeing [Big Grin] [Razz]

--------------------
03 silver cobra #3461 out of 8394
96 gt supercharged
03 mach 1
93 cobra
99 black bird
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step"

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com