Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Anti-Theft chips in key for 03-04 Cobras???

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Anti-Theft chips in key for 03-04 Cobras???
Hyperider
¯
Member # 5936

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hyperider  Ford pictures for Hyperider    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
With all these Stangs getting stolen left and right. I want to know if these new computer chips inside the keys on 03-04 Cobras really work? Ford said with out the key in car, the car won't start even if you hot wired it. Anybody know more about this? I already have an alarm installed on mine, but I want to be sure. Better safe than sorry.

--------------------
04 Cobra

stangless
¯
Member # 1414

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangless  Ford pictures for stangless    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
don't worry your car is almost impossible to steal. unless they tow it of course.. [patriot]
5.0s are really vulnerable though.. [Frown]

--------------------
=(

PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

Ford Icon 9 posted      Profile for PWR HNGRY 302  Ford pictures for PWR HNGRY 302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Jmir018:
don't worry your car is almost impossible to steal. unless they tow it of course.. [patriot]
5.0s are really vulnerable though.. [Frown]

Yea they have been around for so long that everybody knows the tricks to getting them open. [Frown]

--------------------
87 Fox- Restoration in progress
2014 Tacoma DCLB MGM
2017 Prius Prime (The Daily)

Posts: 2655 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Sep 2005  |  :
Camaro Kid Z/28
¯
Member # 3100

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camaro Kid Z/28  Ford pictures for Camaro Kid Z/28    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the toyotas have them to, not cheap for the keys and to re-program them! [Eek!]

--------------------
1973 Camaro Z/28(clone)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2649130
"4-eyes forever essay!"

sharkattack
¯
Member # 645

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sharkattack  Ford pictures for sharkattack    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Hyperider:
With all these Stangs getting stolen left and right. I want to know if these new computer chips inside the keys on 03-04 Cobras really work? Ford said with out the key in car, the car won't start even if you hot wired it. Anybody know more about this? I already have an alarm installed on mine, but I want to be sure. Better safe than sorry.

I had a spare key made and it would not start the car till the key was programmed. Key cost me like 2 bucks. Ford wanted like $70 to program. Never programmed it!

5.0? I could drive of with one of those in about 30 seconds. One thing I learned how to do very fast since becoming a Police Officer is how to steal a car. Many models excluded.

--------------------
1965 Fastback

03 Cobra with some stuff

Joooestang66
¯
Member # 2828

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joooestang66  Ford pictures for Joooestang66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Any Ford keys that look like this have a transponder in them. A new key needs to be programmed, two keys need to be programmed minimum. If you try to start your car with an unprogrammed key twice it goes into anti-theft mode and that requires a trip to the dealer.

-

--------------------
"Don't Drive Faster Than your Guardian Angel Can Fly..... Well My Guardian Angel Can Fly Pretty Fuc*ing Fast!!!"

1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The antitheft theftlock does work. It will disable the ignition if you stick a non chip key in too. On a side note, we at FPPauto.com offer the FORD OEM Theftlock keys as well as the aftermarket theftlock keys with instructions on how to self program. If anyone needs any feel free to send me a PM.

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
Hyperider
¯
Member # 5936

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hyperider  Ford pictures for Hyperider    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks to all that responded. I feel a lot better now knowing that those keys really works. The Ford dealer did told me that I need 2 keys to be program at the same time. But nobody answered if the thieves tries to hot wire it, if it will start?

--------------------
04 Cobra

cobraracer46
¯
Member # 1142

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraracer46  Ford pictures for cobraracer46    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
But nobody answered if the thieves tries to hot wire it, if it will start?

Yes, a thief can hot wire the car and turn over the starter, but the car will never fire and run because the engine computer is not getting a signal from the pats system because a programmed key is not being recognized by the PATS transponder, so really, the only way to steal a pats equipped mustang is to use a tow truck. The PATS anti theft system is unbeatable. By the way, I have the same equipment Ford dealers use to program keys, So I can reprogram the PATS system for a lower price than the dealer.

[ December 15, 2005, 11:13 PM: Message edited by: cobraracer46 ]

--------------------
2001 SVT cobra convertible with a Viper T56, Fikse wheels, Griggs frame kit, roll bar, Vortech, 4:30 gears, brembo GT brakes and more.

Posts: 1172 | From: Woodside California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  :
Hyperider
¯
Member # 5936

Thanks for the very informative respond cobraracer46. You sound like you really know your stuff. So that's what's its called the PATS and it really works. Cool, now I could really have a peace of mind leaving my Cobra out on the open. I will keep you in mind for futures jobs if I need it.

quote:
Originally posted by cobraracer46:
quote:
But nobody answered if the thieves tries to hot wire it, if it will start?

Yes, a thief can hot wire the car and turn over the starter, but the car will never fire and run because the engine computer is not getting a signal from the pats system because a programmed key is not being recognized by the PATS transponder, so really, the only way to steal a pats equipped mustang is to use a tow truck. The PATS anti theft system is unbeatable. By the way, I have the same equipment Ford dealers use to program keys, So I can reprogram the PATS system for a lower price than the dealer.
[patriot]

--------------------
04 Cobra

Juiced-03
¯
Member # 2245

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Juiced-03  Ford pictures for Juiced-03    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
By the way, I have the same equipment Ford dealers use to program keys, So I can reprogram the PATS system for a lower price than the dealer.

So let's say you wanted to steal an '03 Cobra. Could you use your equipment to bypass the PATS while hot wiring the ignition?

--------------------
Just your typical modded '03 Cobra

Hyperider
¯
Member # 5936

Good question! [patriot]

quote:
Originally posted by Juiced-03:
quote:
By the way, I have the same equipment Ford dealers use to program keys, So I can reprogram the PATS system for a lower price than the dealer.

So let's say you wanted to steal an '03 Cobra. Could you use your equipment to bypass the PATS while hot wiring the ignition?

88bird
¯
Member # 1424

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88bird  Ford pictures for 88bird    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[/QUOTE]So let's say you wanted to steal an '03 Cobra. Could you use your equipment to bypass the PATS while hot wiring the ignition? [/QB][/QUOTE]

Can't bypass it, but he can break out the ignition tumbler, and program two new Pats keys to the module, but it takes 10-15 minutes to do.

Posts: 149 | From: Citrus Heights | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
Juiced-03
¯
Member # 2245

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Juiced-03  Ford pictures for Juiced-03    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So if someone had that equipment, it could be done in other words?

--------------------
Just your typical modded '03 Cobra

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com