Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » buying a used car

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: buying a used car
tonster
¯
Member # 6093

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for tonster  Ford pictures for tonster    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well a buddy of mine is looking for a used car and well when i bought my car my dad pretty much helped me out. anyways, as of now i'm not quite sure what car he's buying, but what are some general tips you guys have? also anyone willing to check out the car or know a good mechanic in the stockton area that would give the car look see and tune up once he gets the car?
Eddie510-
CAFords OG
Member # 2354

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddie510-  Ford pictures for Eddie510-    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB

[ November 06, 2005, 07:21 PM: Message edited by: Eddie510 ]

--------------------
"I like to be more politicaly correct than what I really believe so I can get more frinds here on CaFords"-Cummings "TIPICKLE"

Eddie510-
CAFords OG
Member # 2354

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddie510-  Ford pictures for Eddie510-    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Eddie510:
:Salvaged or Clean title....
:look to see Blinkers and lights work(switch might be out
:look at the tires if worn
:look if the body parts are lined up(could of been crashed look at the chassis as well.
:jack the car up .Check for Leaks when car is on(rearmain seal)
:Check to see if paint is all the same(somtimes its off a little bit)
: Run it on the street and freeway
:Make sure all windows work
:Check ball joints if mustang!(baught a 94 and it ripped off,could been serousley injured)
:Check to see if engine is shaking(motor MOUNTS!)
:Ask him when he changed the fluids on it, and then check your self,tranny and engine oil,and if hes cool check the rear diff as well,some people never change it.
AND LOOK AT IT WHEN ITS DAYTIME!!!!!! [patriot] JUST LITTLE TIPS.

[ November 06, 2005, 07:21 PM: Message edited by: Eddie510 ]

--------------------
"I like to be more politicaly correct than what I really believe so I can get more frinds here on CaFords"-Cummings "TIPICKLE"

MINGRYGT
¯
Member # 2439

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MINGRYGT  Ford pictures for MINGRYGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
best tip would be, come see me for a quality used car, and an awesome deal.

--------------------
R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY 5-17-03

cobraracer46
¯
Member # 1142

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraracer46  Ford pictures for cobraracer46    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Besides making sure your potential used car purchase is mechanically sound by running a vin report and having a mechanic give it a clean bill of health, you also need to protect yourself financially so you don't get ripped off by paying too much money. As a rule, car dealers tend to charge way too much for used vehicles, so looking at used vehicle web sites like auto trader and ebay and buying from a private party will give you the best deal. Furthermore, if you flash a bunch of cash in front of a sellers face, you have an even better chance of getting a good price because people love the site of cold hard cash. Finally, you should never finance a car because it is unwise to be putting money into an asset every month that rapidly drops in value. Pay cash for a vehicle so don't get more car than you can afford and fall into the upside down trap if you need to get rid of it.

--------------------
2001 SVT cobra convertible with a Viper T56, Fikse wheels, Griggs frame kit, roll bar, Vortech, 4:30 gears, brembo GT brakes and more.

Posts: 1172 | From: Woodside California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  :
SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have bought all but one of My car's from a private party usually 1-3 year's old with 10,000-40,000 miles. I usually end up saving 10,000 - 20,000 dollar's off the original purchase price! I alway's put a good amount down to cut down on finance charges and get a great rate from My credit union on the rest. I keep My payment's down around 300 buck's so they aer'nt to much of a burden. The most important thing to do is be patient! If You get anxious You will end up with something You dont really like, a lemon, or end up paying way to much. Good luck. [patriot]

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for season'd 88  Ford pictures for season'd 88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB

[ November 03, 2006, 08:15 AM: Message edited by: season'd 88 ]

tonster
¯
Member # 6093

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for tonster  Ford pictures for tonster    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
he's 21 and it's probably the first car he'll own. he's had his license since he was 16 so he's been driving for a while. he's looking at spending between $5000-7500 for something that he'll probably just use to go to school and to work. he's looking at pickup trucks and suv's he can afford, just because he typically has to haul stuff around.

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com