Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » registering Hi Po 5.0 from out of state?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: registering Hi Po 5.0 from out of state?
lambonotch
¯
Member # 5758

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for lambonotch  Ford pictures for lambonotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I found a fully build 1992 mustang for a really good price. only problem is that is has a N/A 351W in it, and its not registered in cali yet. I know it wont pass smog, but if i got a hook up on that would it pass inspection at the dmv? fyi car has no a/c, heat, wind shield wipers, and NO SMOG EQUIPTMENT. has anybody brought a similar car for out of state?
Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yes, I bought my coupe in AZ.
Luckily it was bone stock and I had no problems.

I hate to be the one to tell you, but you are in for some serious headache.

They will inspect the car for all smog/safety equip.

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Is the car fuel injected still? If so Mayb e You could put the smog equipment back on?

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

lambonotch
¯
Member # 5758

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for lambonotch  Ford pictures for lambonotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yup its an efi, maybe i can find somg stuff from a 95 cobra R and hook it up since thats the only stang that came with a 351 stock.
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
no smog tech I've ever met could tell the difference between a 302 and a 351w...

just get all of the proper mustang 5.0 smog equipment on it and working properly and you should have no problems.

just dont drive into the smog test center and be like "hey I have this mustang with a 351, can you smog it for me?"

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
lambonotch
¯
Member # 5758

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for lambonotch  Ford pictures for lambonotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
can the factory smog stuff still be hooked up even though it runs a f.a.s.t. engine managment system?
lambonotch
¯
Member # 5758

ttt
SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by lambonotch:
can the factory smog stuff still be hooked up even though it runs a f.a.s.t. engine managment system?

f.a.s.t. sound's like a red flag to Me? Go to a tuner site and ask around.

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v-town coupe  Ford pictures for v-town coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
so put the smog equipment back on then have someone tune it to pass and then have the settings switched back a lot of work but if its a good deal and u dont mind do it but def. ask arund first andwhat ever u do dont say it has a 351 in it

[patriot]

quote:
Originally posted by blind:

no smog tech I've ever met could tell the difference between a 302 and a 351w...

just get all of the proper mustang 5.0 smog equipment on it and working properly and you should have no problems.

just dont drive into the smog test center and be like "hey I have this mustang with a 351, can you smog it for me?"

Posts: 4597 | From: the V-town | Registered: May 2003  |  :
NO MANRZ
¯
Member # 566

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NO MANRZ  Ford pictures for NO MANRZ    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Does FAST have controls for the EGR valve, and the thermactor valves? If it doesn't, you're going to have to rig those up so it looks like they're working. The whole project sounds very time consuming. Ask yourself if the deal you're getting on the car is worth all the hassle, time and money you have available. It is another one of those time versus money problems.

--------------------
Bring It . . .

lambonotch
¯
Member # 5758

cant i just make it look like all the stuff there and get a "smoghookup". u know like it looks like all the smog stuff is in working order for the dmv people, but in actuallity its not. then i can just register it and rip all the smog shit off.
NO MANRZ
¯
Member # 566

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NO MANRZ  Ford pictures for NO MANRZ    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah, you can rig it, that's probably the only way but that still takes time and money and at the end it comes down to a risk of the car putting out dirty numbers or the smog guy being picky. A lot of fox bodies are getting flagged for test only smog stations now. Thats something else to consider. I bet you'll be told to go to a test only smog center were it costs about $100 to smog and its much harder to find hookups.

--------------------
Bring It . . .

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by NO MANRZ:
Yeah, you can rig it, that's probably the only way but that still takes time and money and at the end it comes down to a risk of the car putting out dirty numbers or the smog guy being picky. A lot of fox bodies are getting flagged for test only smog stations now. Thats something else to consider. I bet you'll be told to go to a test only smog center were it costs about $100 to smog and its much harder to find hookups.

Test only smogs are the same price as regular smogs.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Cobra5.0Jeep:
quote:
Originally posted by NO MANRZ:

Test only smogs are the same price as regular smogs.
BAHAHAAHAHAH, have you done one lately?

$85 + $8 for certificate and I failed 3 test only smogs last year.

a regular smog is $30 + $8 for certificate, I failed 5 of those last year as "pretests"

a test only pretest would still have been $85

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
[Roll Eyes]
hater
lambonotch
¯
Member # 5758

so any thing dmv checks in the imspection besides vin #'s and smog equ.?

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com