Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Clean up after yourself!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Clean up after yourself!
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I found out the hard way last night to clean up after yourself REALLY well when you've been cutting/grinding on metal.

A few weeks ago, I was doing some cutting in the garage with a angle grinder and cut-off wheel. Lots of metal everywhere. Anyway, full face shield and gloves were used. No problem right? I clean up (sweep, mop, use the compressor to blow out the garage) when I'm done...

So last night at the completion of my 4.6 build, I open the garage for some fresh air. Bad idea. As I'm picking up tools, the wind gusts through and bam...something in my eye.

Long story short? A 1+mm long metal shaving was pulled from my cornea at 1240 this morning in the ER. [Frown]

Just a reminder; if you think it's clean...it's not. Do it all again! [Wink] <---my bad eye!

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
Sean90GT
¯
Member # 33

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sean90GT  Ford pictures for Sean90GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That sucks John. Nothing like a one-eyed trip to the ER at midnight to top off a Friday night. Look at the bright side. Now you can be a pirate for Halloween. Aaarrrrrr. [Razz]

--------------------
Currently Mustang-less...

Posts: 543 | From: Then: San Jose, CA Now: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
Dag302
¯
Member # 4682

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dag302  Ford pictures for Dag302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Uh oh, Now it will take you a extra 3 min 42 sec on gear jobs. Hope you are back to 2 good eyes soon.

--------------------
04 Expedition 4X4
93 Cobra #822
96 Cobra

Posts: 2842 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :
drews50
CAFords OG
Member # 2670

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for drews50  Ford pictures for drews50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
that sucks john [Frown]

lmao to the pirate and the extra time posts though [Razz]

--------------------
*shiftylx*

2013 Race Red 5.0 "Lucy"
1967 Lime Gold 289 coupe "Ethel"

87GeeTee
¯
Member # 5905

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87GeeTee  Ford pictures for 87GeeTee    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well...it could have been worse.

[ October 22, 2005, 02:01 PM: Message edited by: 02GeeTee ]

--------------------
Member #: 5145
PWA Owner & SRA Member
Two-Gun Motorsports

2002 GT; Gone But Not Forgotten
1987 GT Vert (Sold!)

Posts: 4278 | From: San Pablo | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by shiftylx:
lmao to the pirate and the extra time posts though [Razz]

No shit. You can only guess how many pirate jokes I've heard this morning. Got back from the Eye doc not too long ago, he even made a joke. [Frown] Get to go in for outpatient surgery next week...the rest of the rust has to come out. Yay.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
FoX GT
¯
Member # 4587

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FoX GT  Ford pictures for FoX GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
that sucks big time

Hope ya get better soon.

[ October 22, 2005, 01:32 PM: Message edited by: FoX GT ]

--------------------
- AED -
03 Cobra 10th anni 3.4 Whipple 9.47@141
2012 Mustang GT 10.98@125
2015 Mustang GT

Bring what you got and hope its enough!

1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So remember after you finish sweeping and blowing out the garage, grab a hose, and hose down the driveway. That way it should push all of it down the street into the rain gutters.

On a side note, have you found a good eye doctor? Thats nothing to be cheap on.

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've been through that ordeal at least 4 times. When you work with metal almost on a daily basis it's bound to happen over the years no matter what kind of face shield/glasses you wear. I'm kinda numb to the whole thing now. First time it was freaky though. Gotta love getting the rust ring ground off....

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 1Sicgt:
On a side note, have you found a good eye doctor? Thats nothing to be cheap on.

he's in the military, they take care of it [Wink]

Sorry to hear that John! I hope that you can heal fast man! If you need someone to operate your canival rides, I'll help out. [patriot]

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
BOTTLED.LX
¯
Member # 3267

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOTTLED.LX  Ford pictures for BOTTLED.LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
I found out the hard way last night to clean up after yourself REALLY well when you've been cutting/grinding on metal.

A few weeks ago, I was doing some cutting in the garage with a angle grinder and cut-off wheel. Lots of metal everywhere. Anyway, full face shield and gloves were used. No problem right? I clean up (sweep, mop, use the compressor to blow out the garage) when I'm done...

So last night at the completion of my 4.6 build, I open the garage for some fresh air. Bad idea. As I'm picking up tools, the wind gusts through and bam...something in my eye.

Long story short? A 1+mm long metal shaving was pulled from my cornea at 1240 this morning in the ER. [Frown]

Just a reminder; if you think it's clean...it's not. Do it all again! [Wink] <---my bad eye!

i know the feeling same thing happen'd to me but i waited a 2 days to go to the doctors they said if i had waited longer it would of build rust in my eye thank god it didnt

--------------------
SOUTHBAYSTANGS
95 STANG GTS AFR'D,CAM'D,INTAKE ON JACK STANDS
99 RANGE ROVER 22'S SPINNERS
64 IMPALA W/WET KANDY PAINT
80 CADILLAC COUPE DEVILLE

Posts: 1281 | From: E. SAN JOSE.CA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by mtbaughs:
Gotta love getting the rust ring ground off....

Yep, I got the same thing from cutting an exhaust system off a Lightning...ER took out the peice of metal shaving and then I had to get it ground out the next day...It's pretty cool, I've used my Dremel on lots of things, but I've never used it on someones eye like my doctor had to do to me...lol...GRRRRRRRSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

John, I'm sure you're aware of this, but you might wanna have someone drive you home after the "GRIND"...Maybe you already know how hard it is to drive with only one eye....lol

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Bizob
¯
Member # 3768

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bizob  Ford pictures for Bizob  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
OUCH. Hope all is well now, goodluck with the surgery [patriot]

--------------------
01 GT K&N FIPK Mac Prochamber Magnapack Cat-Back Steeda Tri-Ax Eibachs

asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
Get to go in for outpatient surgery next week...the rest of the rust has to come out. Yay.

That whole thing about removing the "rust ring" from your eye is BS. I have been to the ER 3 times over the years for metal in my eye. They always say that I need to come back to have the rust ring removed within a couple days but I never go back. The little dark spot will go away within a week or so on its own. I have a few friends that have done the same thing without trouble.

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
CLEEN 50
CAFords OG
Member # 5867

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CLEEN 50  Ford pictures for CLEEN 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Damn John sorry to hear that. Get well Soon [patriot]

--------------------
91 GT
(cafords reg date: 6/02)

Posts: 2534 | From: Peninsula | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
Camaro Kid Z/28
¯
Member # 3100

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camaro Kid Z/28  Ford pictures for Camaro Kid Z/28    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[Frown] Hope you get better soon Popeye! [Wink]

--------------------
1973 Camaro Z/28(clone)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2649130
"4-eyes forever essay!"

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com