Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Sac PD recruit physical exam

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Sac PD recruit physical exam
z pyro
¯
Member # 3745

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for z pyro  Ford pictures for z pyro    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well my physical test was today, and apparently im in worse shape than I thought I was.
I was expecting the test to be the whole jump over a couple walls and hurdles, do a zigzag kinda thing, wrist lock. dummy drag, then run a helluva lot. but they had it all separated.
first was the solid wall climb. it was a piece of cake for me, i just jumped up it and pushed myself over with my arms. there was a woman who was at least 40 who had a hard time with it but she still made it. I dont think anybody didn't make it.
next was the chain link fence climb. basically it was just a chain link fence on the backside of the solid wall so it was the same as the wall climb
then we had to do the dummy drag. the old lady had a problem with it but I did it no sweat.
next up was the "obstacle course." you sprint about 25yds, make a sharp left, run over a couple of those parking lot curb things, hurdle a 3' hurdle, then sprint some more
finally, after all that, was a 500 yard dash. this is what ****ed me up. I'm not an endurance runner, never have been. add to that the fact that I haven't run more than up a flight of stairs in a long time, and it just wasn't good. I made it in 2 minutes, which is about what the recommended time is. but afterwards I had to sit/lay/kneel down and take a minute just to stand back up and walk over to where they add up your scores. on the way over there I drank a little bit of powerade, and after a minute or 2 of sittin down I decided it was a good idea to walk a lil bit away from the rest of the crowd cuz i had this strange feeling I was gonna see that powerade again. of course I ended up puking it up, along with just about anything and everything I had in my stomach at the time. some of the guys saw me and were cheering me on lol. I came back and drank some water, then walked right back over to the fence and puked that up as well. I just kinda hung out over there for a bit, my head hurt and I just generally felt like ****. I eventually was able to stand up and walk back to the classroom we started at, poured some water over my head and drank some more. then I went to a desk, set my head down and just passed out (ok, fell asleep). one of the cops there came and asked if I was alright, she thought I was one of the next wave of people who were supposed to go out and do the test. I finally felt well enough to drive home, and took a couple hour nap before going to work from 6 to midnight

so that's my adventure for today. I did pass, that 500yd dash was my worst of the day and even that was in the normal area. everything else was up high. my oral interview is on tuesday. but now im hella tired, i'm glad I dont have anything til class at 6pm tomorrow (human sexuality w00t)

oh and on the written exam I got a 69.6, passing was 42

--------------------
'95 Integra LS
'08 Buell XB12R Firebolt
'65 Mustang 289 - soon to be 306

Posts: 1732 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
98Snake
¯
Member # 183

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for 98Snake  Ford pictures for 98Snake    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
congratulations! sounds like you've begun the process for a great career.

my recommendation for you physically, would be to run, run, run. start running as often as you can for as long as you can. we have a couple of LEO's on this board, and they can probably attest to the fact that in the academy, you will be running 5-6 miles at a time. if you start now, you will be ready by the time you make it into the academy, which I am guessing is at least a few months away.

for our physical test, we had to do the wall, dummy drag, agility course, as well as a 2640 YARD RUN! yep 1.5 miles! [Mad] ... and I too, am not an "endurance" runner lol [Big Grin]

good luck on your oral boards, keep us posted on how you do! [patriot]

stangless
¯
Member # 1414

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangless  Ford pictures for stangless    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
good luck dude.
I did a few tests like that when i tried out for a sherrif position in santa clara county.
I loved the obstacle course and the jumping over the wall. seems that your group did better than mine. if i remember correctly 7 or 8 people did not make it over the wall.
Good luck on your oral interview. Try to start running a couple of miles every week. it'll help you if you are serious about being in law enforcement and for future tests

--------------------
=(

venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous99  Ford pictures for venomous99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
cool...a cop into mustangs.
in a few months we'll know where to look when we need to have those fix it tickets signed off..lol

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

CLEEN 50
CAFords OG
Member # 5867

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CLEEN 50  Ford pictures for CLEEN 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by venomous99:
cool...a cop into mustangs.
in a few months we'll know where to look when we need to have those fix it tickets signed off..lol

damn right [patriot]

--------------------
91 GT
(cafords reg date: 6/02)

Posts: 2534 | From: Peninsula | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
z pyro
¯
Member # 3745

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for z pyro  Ford pictures for z pyro    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
few months? try a few years [Razz] I still have to turn 21 and have 60 units in school, THEN go through the academy and finally become a cop

--------------------
'95 Integra LS
'08 Buell XB12R Firebolt

Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
lmao....

I love seeing people yack.

Try doing all that in 100+ degree weather which is when I had to do it. Then after run 2 miles 2 minutes of non stop push ups and 2 minutes of sit ups.

89 seconds for the 500 yard 14:12 min 2 miles I weight 200+.

Holy shit 2 minutes is slow [Razz] [Eek!]
I just realized our slowest runner a girl with no previous history of ever excercising ran it in 119 seconds. 72 seconds for the fastest.

Better get to running [patriot]

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
DOPE 50
¯
Member # 5892

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DOPE 50  Ford pictures for DOPE 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Im going to be studing Criminal justice,and end up being a cop hope to god :whoowhoo:I have been told there were different test like 3.Is that true?

--------------------
94 COBRA CLONE CONVERTIBLE
67 SS CHEVY NOVA,CAGED UP,TUBBED,FUEL CELL,ETC..IN THE WORKS.[67SSNOV]
91 INTEGRA ON 17'S
94 Ranger Getting lifted

Black88GT
CAFords OG
Member # 394

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Black88GT  Ford pictures for Black88GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 98Snake:
congratulations! sounds like you've begun the process for a great career.

my recommendation for you physically, would be to run, run, run. start running as often as you can for as long as you can. we have a couple of LEO's on this board, and they can probably attest to the fact that in the academy, you will be running 5-6 miles at a time. if you start now, you will be ready by the time you make it into the academy, which I am guessing is at least a few months away.

for our physical test, we had to do the wall, dummy drag, agility course, as well as a 2640 YARD RUN! yep 1.5 miles! [Mad] ... and I too, am not an "endurance" runner lol [Big Grin]

good luck on your oral boards, keep us posted on how you do! [patriot]

What city are you in?

--------------------
2000 Griggs Racing GT
2012 Kona GT500

stangless
¯
Member # 1414

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangless  Ford pictures for stangless    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by DOPE 50:
Im going to be studing Criminal justice,and end up being a cop hope to god :whoowhoo:I have been told there were different test like 3.Is that true?

What do u mean test like 3? three tests?
There are several more.
Depends on where you apply but normally it consists of written exam, physical ability, oral board,.. if you pass all that you move on to really meticulous background check, polygraph examination, physical examination and that's it.
Could take anywhere from 4 months to over a year to get hired.
If you are serious about law enforcement then try not to do anything stupid from now on. If you are doing drugs. stop. You need to have been clean for 3 years for most depts. no felonies or serious misdemeanors.

Good luck. [patriot]

--------------------
=(

Sean90GT
¯
Member # 33

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sean90GT  Ford pictures for Sean90GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Get used to the running, oh, and the puking too.

I'm in the Sheriff's academy right now in Arizona. Talk about running in the heat! You should be running at least 3 times a week for a minimum of 2-3 miles each time. That will at least get you prepared for the academy. If you're not up to that amount yet just ease in to it. Do a mile every other day or so then start extending the distances until you are up to the 2 or 3 mile mark.

The entry test for the Sheriff's here wasn't so bad. Run 1.5 miles under 15 minutes. I hadn't been running for a while and weighed about 215 when I did it and turned a 13:45. Then we had to do sit ups and push ups. After that we went in for the written test.

Anyway, for the physical part of the academy we lucked out and got a sergeant that is a runner. He loves to run us. Too bad I hate to run. We only did about 3 miles yesterday but half of it was up and down a six story parking structure. We would stop at the top and do calisthenics. If I recall it was about 90 flutter kicks, 100 jumping jacks, 40 mountain climbers, 20 body builders, 40 pushups and 15 squat thrusters. On the run back to the academy if you were a minute or more behing the sergeant then you got an additional 1.6 mile trail run that was due immediately after arriving back. All this took about 45 minutes to do. We'll be taking the POPAT test soon which includes the whole obstacle course and such.

Good job on your passing the physical test. It's the first step in a long process but is well worth it. Don't worry about the puking. We have a couple of pukers in my academy class. It just shows that they're giving 110%. Good luck!

--------------------
Currently Mustang-less...

Posts: 543 | From: Then: San Jose, CA Now: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
z pyro
¯
Member # 3745

I failed the interview [Frown]

--------------------
'95 Integra LS
'08 Buell XB12R Firebolt

Sean90GT
¯
Member # 33

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sean90GT  Ford pictures for Sean90GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sorry to hear that but don't stress too much on it. I failed a couple myself. Just keep your nose clean and get your school done. Talk to cops or recruits to ask about the oral board questions and just practice answering them. They aren't looking for guys that are totally gung-ho and know all the cop jargon in the oral board. They are looking for people that have a level head, present themselves well and are intelligent. Whatever you do don't give up! If you are serious about this being the career for you then stick with it. It could be a long process that takes years to get you in to an academy class. But everything you do from now on ask yourself "Is this going to further my goal?".

Brush yourself off and move forward.

--------------------

Posts: 543 | From: Then: San Jose, CA Now: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Sean90GT:
Get used to the running, oh, and the puking too.

I'm in the Sheriff's academy right now in Arizona. Talk about running in the heat! You should be running at least 3 times a week for a minimum of 2-3 miles each time. That will at least get you prepared for the academy. If you're not up to that amount yet just ease in to it. Do a mile every other day or so then start extending the distances until you are up to the 2 or 3 mile mark.

The entry test for the Sheriff's here wasn't so bad. Run 1.5 miles under 15 minutes. I hadn't been running for a while and weighed about 215 when I did it and turned a 13:45. Then we had to do sit ups and push ups. After that we went in for the written test.

Anyway, for the physical part of the academy we lucked out and got a sergeant that is a runner. He loves to run us. Too bad I hate to run. We only did about 3 miles yesterday but half of it was up and down a six story parking structure. We would stop at the top and do calisthenics. If I recall it was about 90 flutter kicks, 100 jumping jacks, 40 mountain climbers, 20 body builders, 40 pushups and 15 squat thrusters. On the run back to the academy if you were a minute or more behing the sergeant then you got an additional 1.6 mile trail run that was due immediately after arriving back. All this took about 45 minutes to do. We'll be taking the POPAT test soon which includes the whole obstacle course and such.

Good job on your passing the physical test. It's the first step in a long process but is well worth it. Don't worry about the puking. We have a couple of pukers in my academy class. It just shows that they're giving 110%. Good luck!

YES!!! I love those days. Competition.

quote:
Originally posted by z pyro:
I failed the interview [Frown]

Sorry to hear that man If it's really what you want to do just keep at it. I think we all have failed atleast one.

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
Sean90GT
¯
Member # 33

Forgot to add; you probably have already seen this site but it's good for getting information on the recruiting process and how to prepare. Go to the forums of www.officer.com and check out the Job Center forum.

--------------------

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com