Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Tire comparisons Sumitomo vs Goodyear

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Tire comparisons Sumitomo vs Goodyear
Hyperider
¯
Member # 5936

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hyperider  Ford pictures for Hyperider    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I getting new shoes and Discount tire is recommending Sumitomo's they said it's got good rating and you get a lot of tires for your money. I just want to know if anybody has used these tires and how did they like it? They said these are good tires as far as being compared to Goodyear Eagle F1 275X40X17ZR, the Sumitomo is HTRZ. Thanks!

--------------------
04 Cobra

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my neighbor bought them for his mach, and loves them.

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i dont have experience with the f1's but the sumitomos are good for the price, the treadwear sucks though

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

Hyperider
¯
Member # 5936

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hyperider  Ford pictures for Hyperider    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Guys, fyi I did check the Tire Rack USA website for the ratings and they do rate the Sumitomo good. I already have them ordered, total about $500 out the door for all 4 tires, mounted and installed w/ warranty. Discount Tires will also fix and balance your wheels and tires for the life time of the tires.

--------------------
04 Cobra

RixSikCobra
¯
Member # 5058

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RixSikCobra  Ford pictures for RixSikCobra  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Hyperider:
Guys, fyi I did check the Tire Rack USA website for the ratings and they do rate the Sumitomo good. I already have them ordered, total about $500 out the door for all 4 tires, mounted and installed w/ warranty. Discount Tires will also fix and balance your wheels and tires for the life time of the tires.

What tires did you get for 500 bucks out the door? I'm buying new tires also and everything worth a damn that I've seen is 1000 bucks out the dough.

Was that you who I saw on Treat Blvd the other day?

LMK on the tires.

[ September 21, 2005, 08:15 PM: Message edited by: RixSikCobra ]

Posts: 2120 | From: Pleasanton | Registered: Nov 2004  |  :
Motorhead6T5
¯
Member # 4969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Motorhead6T5  Ford pictures for Motorhead6T5    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I got my 255/45-17s for 71 bucks a piece,and I don't have any complaints [patriot]

--------------------
65 Fastback
72 Malibu

BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueOvalRacing  Ford pictures for BlueOvalRacing    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Hungry Hippo:
i dont have experience with the f1's but the sumitomos are good for the price, the treadwear sucks though

The rating may only be 220, but I got over 50k on my HTZR2's and love them. I will order another set.
Hyperider
¯
Member # 5936

originally posted by: RixSikCobra
What tires did you get for 500 bucks out the door? I'm buying new tires also and everything worth a damn that I've seen is 1000 bucks out the dough.

Hey Rick, yup that was me waving at you at Treat. You going home from work? Anyway I ordered the Sumitomo HTRZ 275X40X17 from Discount Tire on Monument Blvd. The $499.98 includes everything tax, mount and balance and even road hazard warranty. It's pretty good deal I did shop around. I dealt w/ this guy Brad, he said it's roughly $99.98/tire. Tire Rack USA has it for $88.89 per tire and that's without the s/h. Yeah, if you want that deal just look for Brad tell him what I told you. I've bought a lot of tires from them, they give you free rotation and balance the life of the tires too. Let me know it there's anything else you want to know.

--------------------
04 Cobra

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by BlueOvalRacing:
quote:

The rating may only be 220, but I got over 50k on my HTZR2's and love them. I will order another set.
i've never gotten more than 10k out of any tires, even some with a 400 treadwear [Cool]

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

Bizob
¯
Member # 3768

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bizob  Ford pictures for Bizob  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by BlueOvalRacing:
quote:

i've never gotten more than 10k out of any tires, even some with a 400 treadwear [Cool]
Never more than 10k Miles [Eek!]

Lead Foot I guess lol

--------------------
01 GT K&N FIPK Mac Prochamber Magnapack Cat-Back Steeda Tri-Ax Eibachs

RixSikCobra
¯
Member # 5058

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RixSikCobra  Ford pictures for RixSikCobra  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Hyperider:

Hey Rick, yup that was me waving at you at Treat. You going home from work? Anyway I ordered the Sumitomo HTRZ 275X40X17 from Discount Tire on Monument Blvd. The $499.98 includes everything tax, mount and balance and even road hazard warranty. It's pretty good deal I did shop around. I dealt w/ this guy Brad, he said it's roughly $99.98/tire. Tire Rack USA has it for $88.89 per tire and that's without the s/h. Yeah, if you want that deal just look for Brad tell him what I told you. I've bought a lot of tires from them, they give you free rotation and balance the life of the tires too. Let me know it there's anything else you want to know.

Yeah, I though it was you. I saw a badass Cobra rollin' towards me and I figured it was you. Just got off duty and was headin' home.

I ended up going with Goodyears 295's rear, 275's front. I forget the name of them now, damnit. They are fairly soft and the tread looks totally killer, real meaty. 1100 out the door with all the bells and whistles from America's TC. I hope they can hook halfway decently, the 4# lower pulley and the MMS IRS kit and subframes are going on today and Jeff is gonna tune it next Thursday. Gotta stay outta boost for a week [Frown]

Seeya round, start modding that thing if ya haven't already [patriot]

[ September 22, 2005, 02:28 PM: Message edited by: RixSikCobra ]

--------------------
2004 Terminator
Torch Red Vert
Built,Ported,Cammed,Juiced

Posts: 2120 | From: Pleasanton | Registered: Nov 2004  |  :
Hyperider
¯
Member # 5936

I ended up going with Goodyears 295's rear, 275's front. I forget the name of them now, damnit. They are fairly soft and the tread looks totally killer, real meaty. 1100 out the door with all the bells and whistles from America's TC. I hope they can hook halfway decently, the 4# lower pulley and the MMS IRS kit and subframes are going on today and Jeff is gonna tune it next Thursday. Gotta stay outta boost for a week

Seeya round, start modding that thing if ya haven't already

Oh ok, I also forgot you got 18 inch rims. Goodyears are really good tires too, you really get what you paid for. More mods eh. That's cool. I hear yah can never stop. Yeah, I'm starting to save up for my own mods too. Probably start with the Bassani x-pipes w/ cats to go with my cat backs, then lowering springs, then pulley and chip. Right now all it's got is the Steeda CAI and the Bassani cat backs. Hey I'm down for a Dublin meet, let me know! [patriot]

--------------------
04 Cobra

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com