Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Good rear disc brake conversion kit

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Good rear disc brake conversion kit
kuku93
¯
Member # 14014

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kuku93  Ford pictures for kuku93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What are good rear disc brakes to buy for a 87 foxbody 31 spline.
LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LXjames  Ford pictures for LXjames    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can do cobra rear brakes with north race car brackets like I did, or turbo coupe brakes which I believe still require the same bracket, or possibly an svo rear end. There's also the 93 cobra brakes but you stay 4 lug with that. That's your "fox length" options. You can also swap in a whole 94-98 rear end and be 5 lug rear disc. You will add a .75 of track width on each side so it's all what you want to do. I personally bought a whole 97 cobra rear end, then found some fox length disc brake moser axles AND nrc brackets at a buddies shop and bought them.

--------------------
On Point Motorsport prez.
King Lx

Posts: 4761 | From: Pittsburg CA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
93 interceptor
¯
Member # 9457

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93 interceptor  Ford pictures for 93 interceptor    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by LXjames:
You can do cobra rear brakes with north race car brackets like I did, or turbo coupe brakes which I believe still require the same bracket, or possibly an svo rear end. There's also the 93 cobra brakes but you stay 4 lug with that. That's your "fox length" options. You can also swap in a whole 94-98 rear end and be 5 lug rear disc. You will add a .75 of track width on each side so it's all what you want to do. I personally bought a whole 97 cobra rear end, then found some fox length disc brake moser axles AND nrc brackets at a buddies shop and bought them.

Just to add to this, if you want to save money you can cut the brackets on the 94-98 rearend instead of buying the north race brackets. I went that route on my 93 coupe and have no problems. This is all of course if you want to stay "fox length" with the 5-lug swap.

--------------------
1993 Ex-chp
" Drive it till da wheels FALL OFF and then SOME!!!

kuku93
¯
Member # 14014

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kuku93  Ford pictures for kuku93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

I already have purchased the 5 lug 31 spline kit from LMR I just want some good rear brakes for canyon use. Are there any good brake kits out there that comes with everything
LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LXjames  Ford pictures for LXjames    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by kuku93:
quote:

I already have purchased the 5 lug 31 spline kit from LMR I just want some good rear brakes for canyon use. Are there any good brake kits out there that comes with everything
Ok so you'll be doing the same driving style as me, I plan on a 4 pot 14" kit up front and probably some aggressive pads on the rear cobra brakes with dimpled and slotted rotors. It's all about bias front to rear and how aggressive of a pad. Of course rotor size and piston quantity and size matter for head dissipation and clamping force. Cobra rear brakes are already 12" I believe or just shy but no much. I think cobra rear is a great single purchase item unless you get a front and rear kit then you could look into Baer or brembo stoptech etc

--------------------
On Point Motorsport prez.
King Lx

Posts: 4761 | From: Pittsburg CA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
kuku93
¯
Member # 14014

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by kuku93:
quote:

Ok so you'll be doing the same driving style as me, I plan on a 4 pot 14" kit up front and probably some aggressive pads on the rear cobra brakes with dimpled and slotted rotors. It's all about bias front to rear and how aggressive of a pad. Of course rotor size and piston quantity and size matter for head dissipation and clamping force. Cobra rear brakes are already 12" I believe or just shy but no much. I think cobra rear is a great single purchase item unless you get a front and rear kit then you could look into Baer or brembo stoptech etc
Okay thank you!

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com