Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » how to check if coils are bad. non ford

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: how to check if coils are bad. non ford
NvrGoFullRetard
CAFords OG
Member # 1633

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NvrGoFullRetard  Ford pictures for NvrGoFullRetard  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Mazda protege 5 2003.
How do i check if a coil is bad. I replaced the spark plugs and wires. The hesitates to go from a stop. And before anyone ask ive replaced the fuel pump a year or 2 ago also.

--------------------
"formally 4.6 eatin gm's"
white 97gt n/a 320rwhp/325rwtq
01 sierra rcsb lsx 408 (murdered out)
03 ecsb sierra 6.0 on 22's
2011 Tahoe

Posts: 2759 | From: PITTSBURG/FAIRFIELD | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
NvrGoFullRetard
CAFords OG
Member # 1633

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NvrGoFullRetard  Ford pictures for NvrGoFullRetard  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Anyone

--------------------
2011 Tahoe

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Is it tripping a fault code with a misfire or just stumbling?

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
SacStangDriver
¯
Member # 8304

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SacStangDriver  Ford pictures for SacStangDriver    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
swap the coil from one cylinder to another. if the misfire code comes up on the cylinder you just put it to. you know its bad.

--------------------
Need sidework done at great prices? I work on all makes and models from engine work to gears. Check engine light problems too. 916 912 3493

Posts: 1217 | From: sacramento | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
Adam5.0
¯
Member # 6995

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adam5.0  Ford pictures for Adam5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The best way to test a coil is with a lab scope. Assuming you don't have that you can test the resistance with an ohm meter. You would have to figure out the specs of the primary and secondary side

--------------------
want something old and japanese

Posts: 1609 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Aug 2006  |  :
Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Renzo  Ford pictures for Tom Renzo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If the coil was bad you would get a SES light with a misfire code. If memory serves me that is a waste fire setup. Either way do you have a SES light and codes

--------------------
I spend money i don't have. Building cars i don't need. To impress people i don't know.

NvrGoFullRetard
CAFords OG
Member # 1633

Yes it had a random missfire code cylinder 1. P301 i believe. I changed the plugs and wires. Now it has a hesitation when you leave from a complete stop. I know these motors are garbage but its basically a commuter car.

--------------------
2011 Tahoe

hidnn0s
¯
Member # 13845

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn0s  Ford pictures for hidnn0s    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Not a crappy car, good beater! Swap cyl 1 coil and see if code follows to a new cylinder. If the misfire doesn't change cylinders and the spark plug isn't loose (check) then do a LD/Comp test on cylinder 1

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com