Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Velocity Builds

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Velocity Builds
Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Renzo  Ford pictures for Tom Renzo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I watch Velocity all the time and i am amazed at how fast they build those cars. They must only last paint wise for a couple of years. They do not bake out the plastic or let it settle. That is very important and naturally they are all professionals. Or maybe not all are professionals? Dont get me wrong they build some great stuff and not knocking them . But why is it every time they first try and start the engines they never start the first time. Fire spews out of the carbs and endless cranking. Then they dig in to the engine like army ants . They pull the valve covers check the valve lash talk to each other then finally figure out the Distributor is in wrong. They fix it during the commercial and all is good in the world. I personally have an ongoing bet with people that my engines start on the first crank. Me and my dad used to do this all the time after a rebuild. It just puzzles me that all these professionals can not have a first time start on a fresh engine. Just something i noticed not being critical but just makes me laugh a lot. Your thoughts gentleman

--------------------
I spend money i don't have. Building cars i don't need. To impress people i don't know.

70stang351w
¯
Member # 9948

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 70stang351w  Ford pictures for 70stang351w    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I noticed that was watching gas monkey yesterday and they put an ls3 in a 68 camaro and had to modify the oil pan. and they where talking about how its just gonna be plug and play theyve done this before but then the crank was hitting the windage tray and took a good size chunk of metal out of it and they just cleaned up the windage tray and bolted it up and it was good to go within an hour guess they werent concerned about the rest of the metal that went through the motor already

--------------------
1996 GT VERT /32v MOD - SOLD
1970 Mustang Coupe M-Code 351w

Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Renzo  Ford pictures for Tom Renzo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I saw that you never do that without first checking it by rotating it before you install the pan. That is typical amateur for sure. And i was watching FOOSE and they were trying to start up a camaro small block gen 2 and flames were coming out of the carb 6 Feet high. When they were cranking it the guy giving it gas was standing back from the carb. When the flames came out he turned to chip and said that is why i stand back. WHAT. He was anticipating it to happen. So this must be a regular occurrence. Not that Foose is a genious to say the least. But the engine builder was there and some other guy was setting the valves. You would think the engine builder would have done that at the shop before delivering the engine. Or try and start it during a commercial and then get the bugs out before going live. Very amateur at best and i laugh like crazy every time i see it. have a great evening Tom

--------------------
I spend money i don't have. Building cars i don't need. To impress people i don't know.

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Renzo:
I saw that you never do that without first checking it by rotating it before you install the pan. That is typical amateur for sure. And i was watching FOOSE and they were trying to start up a camaro small block gen 2 and flames were coming out of the carb 6 Feet high. When they were cranking it the guy giving it gas was standing back from the carb. When the flames came out he turned to chip and said that is why i stand back. WHAT. He was anticipating it to happen. So this must be a regular occurrence. Not that Foose is a genious to say the least. But the engine builder was there and some other guy was setting the valves. You would think the engine builder would have done that at the shop before delivering the engine. Or try and start it during a commercial and then get the bugs out before going live. Very amateur at best and i laugh like crazy every time i see it. have a great evening Tom

LOL. Try to start it during a commercial? You know those shows aren't live right? Every second is recorded, so it's not like the production crew yells out, "Okay, we're at commercial. Everyone take 5." They edit everything in post production and add stuff like that to add drama to the show.

Also, why is this post in Tech Talk? It should be in General.

[ 2014-10-12, 06:01 PM: Message edited by: wilit ]

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
92_5.0
¯
Member # 7624

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92_5.0  Ford pictures for 92_5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by wilit:
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Renzo:

LOL. Try to start it during a commercial? You know those shows aren't live right? Every second is recorded, so it's not like the production crew yells out, "Okay, we're at commercial. Everyone take 5." They edit everything in post production and add stuff like that to add drama to the show.

Also, why is this post in Tech Talk? It should be in General.

+1 its all edited to add drama lol. Cool shows if you can get past some of the fake stuff.

--------------------
Infineon/Sears point? same difference!
11.8 @ 115 mph @ Sac Raceway
411 rwhp 402 trq (old set up)
540 rwhp 517 rwtrq (new set up)
ET's to come

stangin'
¯
Member # 514

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangin'  Ford pictures for stangin'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i just can't believe you you believe everything that happens is real, lol. it's a show and each episode must have some kind of story line.
Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Just asked thats all. Seems like they can not start on the first crank is embarrassing. Not show business. Just me

--------------------

Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Entertainment. Thats it and thats all

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com