Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » car turned off while driving

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: car turned off while driving
Stangn5oh
¯
Member # 10875

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stangn5oh  Ford pictures for Stangn5oh  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Got the 89 mustang gt running a week ago, my girl takes it to work sometimes with no issues, other than running a bit hot.

So i dropped her off , got a coffee got back in and it would crank over but not start..
I killed my optima yellow top trying to start it,.
1. I dont smell gas
2. I hear the fuel pump prime.
3. i have a toggle switch for fan connected to battery aswell and its correct

I get a very quick jump, and take off like,a bat outta hell keeping the rpms higher w/ 3g alt.
5mins in it turns off, cranks over but wont start, push start did not work either.
Waited 30min to cool off then it started and ran fine .

Any ideas???
Im thinking
1.coil
2.distributor
3. Fuel pump

Oyea i have a msd coil and recently bought a used msd distributor

--------------------
88 lx
17 Renegade turbo
18 Compass 4x4

Hit the gasser, go faster, all u heard was dual exhaust n flowmasters.

Posts: 1643 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Apr 2011  |  :
93ex chp
¯
Member # 9016

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93ex chp  Ford pictures for 93ex chp    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Tfi module maybe
Stangn5oh
¯
Member # 10875

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stangn5oh  Ford pictures for Stangn5oh  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
^^^^thats what i thought, at first ,thd ignition module on the distributor but i thoight those are like a fuses in a way like when they go out they go out, and here,and there acts up

--------------------
88 lx
17 Renegade turbo
18 Compass 4x4

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
MSD distributors suck, especially a used one!

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18535 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
93ex chp
¯
Member # 9016

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93ex chp  Ford pictures for 93ex chp    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sure do. My old 89 did the same exact thing with an msd dist. Swapped it for a stock one and ran perfect after that. No need for an msd dist
quote:
Originally posted by NEIGHT:
MSD distributors suck, especially a used one!

Stangn5oh
¯
Member # 10875

Ok ill look into the distributor.

Also running all stock "smog motor" i also bought a used oem h pipe from ford only used 6times to smog then taken off, but was stored with taped inlet/outlets

--------------------
88 lx
17 Renegade turbo
18 Compass 4x4

1fastmach1
¯
Member # 10137

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1fastmach1  Ford pictures for 1fastmach1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
check your computer my boys did the same thing swap it for a good one and see if it fixs it

--------------------
REDLINE MOTORSPORTS CC EST 2011
1993 CHP sold
2004 mach 1 408 Windsor n20 fed
R.I.P. JORGE GUTIERREZ JR
6/13/1982- 11/05/2013

Posts: 2592 | From: clawwwitter to 7th st | Registered: Jul 2010  |  :
Stangn5oh
¯
Member # 10875

Update!!!!!
I found my
Ground wire from battery to the motor was not tightened at the motor...
So i replaced positive and negative battery cables and tightened.

My green wire that inserts into the coil would not stay clicked in and would come out with a touch of a finger...
I pinched the connecter with pliers so it tightened meanwhile until i replace the connector and ill replace the coil just because.

And just to mess with the overheating problem i just took out the thermostat...

I havent drove the car yet but it stayed cool at idle for 15 min. Then i shut it off

--------------------
88 lx
17 Renegade turbo
18 Compass 4x4

cemelevu
¯
Member # 10601

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cemelevu  Ford pictures for cemelevu    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just make sure you actually run a thermosat. computer controlled cars need to read certain temps inorder to run correctly.
Stangn5oh
¯
Member # 10875

quote:
Originally posted by cemelevu:
just make sure you actually run a thermosat. computer controlled cars need to read certain temps inorder to run correctly.

Yea forsure, im goanna be running more rich with it being removed.
I just removed it just to see if that was the problem, going to be putting a factory temp thermostat replacement ...this is my smog set_up

--------------------
88 lx
17 Renegade turbo
18 Compass 4x4

FOXX5.0
¯
Member # 9094

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FOXX5.0  Ford pictures for FOXX5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Had this same prob with my 95 it would turn off while driving only after it was warmed up and wouldn't turn back on till it was cold ended up being the pip sensor in the distributor i guess it acts up when warmed up.hope this helps

[ 2013-08-29, 07:26 PM: Message edited by: FOXX5.0 ]

Stangn5oh
¯
Member # 10875

Ok another update....
I believe the problem is fixed.

I drove the car for about 45 min without dying on me, no overheating, and no problems re-starting it...

It ran a bit too cool, so I'm definetly putting a t stat in

1. The turning off randomly was the green wire connecting to the coil was loose.
2. The battery light turning on was the negative cable being loose on the block side.
3. The overheating was my t stat stuck closed.

I do have idle, and check engine light problems, but I'll start a new thread
Thanks cafords for all your input it was greatly appreciated and learned how to test couple things

--------------------
88 lx
17 Renegade turbo
18 Compass 4x4

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com