Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Tie Rod going bad?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Tie Rod going bad?
tye
¯
Member # 12847

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for tye  Ford pictures for tye    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Raised the car up and held the tire at the 3 and 9 o'clock position and tried rotating it and there was a little play. However, if I lifted up from the bottom of the tire, or pushed from the 12'oclock position on the tire, the wheel/hub cambered inwards 1/4 - 1/2 an inch. This did not take a lot of force at all, i could lift or push with one hand and it would move. Is this a tie rod issue?
Posts: 18 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2013  |  :
5.0 LsX
¯
Member # 10017

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0 LsX  Ford pictures for 5.0 LsX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sounds like a bad hub/bearing possibly

--------------------
91' Notch

tye
¯
Member # 12847

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for tye  Ford pictures for tye    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Here is a video where you can see the movement and hear the clunking noise:

Clunking - YouTube

Clunking 2 - YouTube

KevinK
Tech Mod
Member # 9234

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KevinK  Ford pictures for KevinK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check your wheel bearings. If they look ok, then just tighten then per Ford procedure.

[ 2013-06-21, 11:57 AM: Message edited by: KevinK ]

Posts: 200 | From: San Mateo, CA | Registered: Jun 2009  |  :
tye
¯
Member # 12847

Update to this, so I climbed under the car while the wheel was being shook. Look at these new videos, the bottom of the strut is moving as the wheel is shook. Also, when turning the steering wheel, when the clunk sound was felt, the bottom of the strut moved. If i put my hand on it I could feel the vibration in the strut whenever the clunk was felt by the person turning the wheel. If I held pressure on the tire/wheel while the turning of the wheel was being done, it never clunked. Once i let off, it was back. Does that sound like a wheel bearing still, or does that sound like the bolts holding the strut to the hub arent tight enough, though they felt pretty damn tight.

Clunk 3 - YouTube
Clunk 4 - YouTube

5.0 LsX
¯
Member # 10017

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0 LsX  Ford pictures for 5.0 LsX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
looks like the strut was hitting the lower ball joint nut?
either bearing/hub or ball joint

--------------------
91' Notch

fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fredfifty  Ford pictures for fredfifty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
did you torque down those strut bolts? i think they are 125-140 ft/lbs iirc i may be wrong but its up there

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
IM A NOOB, EXCUSE ME. THANKS.
92 LX Coupe 5.0 CARB'd BOLT-ONS SMOG LEGAL
62 Rag Impala

tye
¯
Member # 12847

quote:
Originally posted by 5.0 LsX:
looks like the strut was hitting the lower ball joint nut?
either bearing/hub or ball joint

It doesnt hit it, just hard to tell in the video. How can I test the ball joint, when looking at it during the tests I have done, there is no visable movement in the ball joint at all

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com