Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » very little oil through two pushrods and ticking noise?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: very little oil through two pushrods and ticking noise?
Farrell
¯
Member # 10801

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Farrell  Ford pictures for Farrell    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My 5.0 started making a ticking noise i could hear at an idle starting a few seconds after start up and it would increase with rpms until i coudlnt hear it over the motor at about 2500. i've heard rod knock before it it really doesnt sound that loud or bad, i can barely hear it at all inside the car.

First thing i did was pull each plug one by one on that side to see if it was an obvious rod, it made no difference. I then took a stethascope and put it all over the motor and couldnt really hear it much at all except when i was on the valve cover. took the cover off and started it up, all the rockers look to be acting normal but i could feel the tick through one of them. pulled the two rockers for that piston and the plug, started it and the sound was gone. Switched the rockers and put it back together, sound is the same as last time. i sat watching it for a bit and then i noticed it was pumping next to no oil out of those two pushrods (they were clean with open passages, i checked) but the other six rockers had puddles forming.

Any ideas on what the sound might be or what is causing it to not pump oil up through just those two pushrods? i assume the problems are connected.

Valves? cam? something else?

[ June 28, 2012, 11:10 PM: Message edited by: Farrell ]

--------------------
Learn as if you'll live forever, live as it you're going to die tomorrow - Ghandi

Posts: 287 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
707iiii
¯
Member # 10923

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 707iiii  Ford pictures for 707iiii    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds like those lifters are not pumping up.
Posts: 327 | From: Lost Coast | Registered: May 2011  |  :
Farrell
¯
Member # 10801

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Farrell  Ford pictures for Farrell    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Didn't eventhink about that... .. I assume that would give me the issue with nit getting oil up the pushrod too?
707iiii
¯
Member # 10923

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 707iiii  Ford pictures for 707iiii    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Oil has to go through the lifter to get to the push rod, so if for whatever reason the lifter isn't getting oil neither will the pushrod, rocker, etc. If they won't pump up even after fully warm, it looks like you may need to pull the intake to investigate.
Posts: 327 | From: Lost Coast | Registered: May 2011  |  :
Farrell
¯
Member # 10801

Makes sense, thanks for the advice. Ill pull the intake this weekend and see what it looks like in there

--------------------
Learn as if you'll live forever, live as it you're going to die tomorrow - Ghandi

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com