Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » coil springs

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: coil springs
flores24v
¯
Member # 10586

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for flores24v  Ford pictures for flores24v    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So i have a question on cutting the coils on the springs. How much does the car drop cutting a half of a coil? What about cutting a whole coil? If anyone knows what the estimated drop I'd really appreciate it. Its on a 97 cobra.
Svt Tony
¯
Member # 9959

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Svt Tony  Ford pictures for Svt Tony    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Paisa de Michoacan just get after market not worth cutting stock ones too much bouncing off. 50 resto have em for a bill sve ones.

--------------------
" u wanna play u gatta pay "

racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well there two types of springs, a progressive rate and specific rate spring. If it's a progressive rate spring and you measure the full length of the spring and you want to lower it an inch you cut half inch less of the full length, so it's a 0.5:1 ratio. If its a specific rate spring and you want to lower it an inch you cut an inch less of the full length, so it's a 1:1 ratio. I think I remember stock mustang springs are a progressive rate springs.

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Posts: 20750 | From: Concord & Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
grab n go
¯
Member # 9372

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for grab n go  Ford pictures for grab n go  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dont do it.I just cut my springs in my 94 50 and it is way to bouncy.Its all over the place.Buy some used lowering springs.Well worth the money and time.Just my 2.
Farrell
¯
Member # 10801

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Farrell  Ford pictures for Farrell    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
fox bodies have a dead coil on the shock, meaning the bottom (front) and top (rear) coil has another coil sitting flat against it. Don't cut more than that coil, use a cutting disc and keep the spring cool. If you do a coil and one of the two isolators it gives you about an inch.

--------------------
Learn as if you'll live forever, live as it you're going to die tomorrow - Ghandi

Posts: 287 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
SmallBlock Speeder
Banned (again)

I play the
skin flute

Member # 11220

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmallBlock Speeder  Ford pictures for SmallBlock Speeder    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Like they said above don't do it they bounce around waaaaay too much like a rice rocket. Just buy some even used ones off the board would work

--------------------
Another hate'n troll bites the dust.

Alex aka SmallBlock Speeder aka 351SVO aka tTOP302 aka SHO@lex aka SHOalex. Long time CAFords troll and hater trying to start drama as usual. A picture of this over achiever. Now go and cry to your homeboys about how you were banned because of discrimination and racism, forgetting to mention your five trolling accounts on here :rolleyes:

A big plastic monkey pointing a finger at your little shriveled pecker? Seriously?

Wow. Just wow. And we thought the monkey pic was bad!

Does your boyfriend know you're cheating on him with the shirtless guy above?

Using a blue toy guitar to attack the guy stealing your boy toy?

Anyone offended by the anti-ghetto sign please never visit CAFords.com again. You won't be missed!

Anyone else with a fake account care to speak up?

Didn't think so.

85staNg302
¯
Member # 9450

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 85staNg302  Ford pictures for 85staNg302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yup ..I told em already ..their wayy to bouncy on my fox ..
Posts: 1561 | From: sacramento | Registered: Sep 2009  |  :
flores24v
¯
Member # 10586

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for flores24v  Ford pictures for flores24v    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for the input guys. I know its a stupid thing but I've already have lowering springs on my car, not sure of the brand or how much they lower the car. There is still like 1/2 of an inch or maybe less between tire and fender all around. So I just want to cut those stock springs I have and drop it more, just to get rid of that gap. I know its stupid but I just want so see my car lowered more [Big Grin] I don't DD it, I drive it at the most 3 times a month and that's just so it don't sit in the garage. Eventually I would take them off and put the lowering ones back on.. [patriot]
SmallBlock Speeder
Banned (again)

I play the
skin flute

Member # 11220

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmallBlock Speeder  Ford pictures for SmallBlock Speeder    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Did you remove the isolators?

--------------------
Another hate'n troll bites the dust.

Alex aka SmallBlock Speeder aka 351SVO aka tTOP302 aka SHO@lex aka SHOalex. Long time CAFords troll and hater trying to start drama as usual. A picture of this over achiever. Now go and cry to your homeboys about how you were banned because of discrimination and racism, forgetting to mention your five trolling accounts on here :rolleyes:

A big plastic monkey pointing a finger at your little shriveled pecker? Seriously?

Wow. Just wow. And we thought the monkey pic was bad!

Does your boyfriend know you're cheating on him with the shirtless guy above?

Using a blue toy guitar to attack the guy stealing your boy toy?

Anyone offended by the anti-ghetto sign please never visit CAFords.com again. You won't be missed!

Anyone else with a fake account care to speak up?

Didn't think so.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com