Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Any Ford techs? Need help with trouble code

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Any Ford techs? Need help with trouble code
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My 2006 Escape 2.3 4WD with 110k miles is popping a P0420 code. I replaced both O2 sensors and put fresh plugs in it, but the code keeps tripping. It doesn't stutter, misfire or run bad at all. It still gets the same 22-24mpg as it did when when we bought it new.

Any ideas on something else (cheap) that might be tripping the code? I was just pricing the cat and OMG. I sure hope it comes with some anal lube for what those things cost.

[ December 03, 2011, 08:55 PM: Message edited by: wilit ]

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The cat an done an went killed it self
SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWSN95  Ford pictures for SLOWSN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Basically o2s and the monitors are working together to determine what's going thru the exhaust. The computer keeps and eye on the switch rates of both the o2s and monitors. The post-cat readings are supposed to be significantly differnent from the pre-cat readings since the cats are supposed to reduce the amount of pollution going into the atmosphere. That code is trying to tell you that you have a bad cat. Very likely that you may need a new one, but get it checked out before you run into conclusions. If in need of a new cat, do not buy aftermarket unless you wanna buy a new one in a couple years

[ December 04, 2011, 09:31 PM: Message edited by: SLOWSN95 ]

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

Posts: 2214 | From: 510/east bay | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
ShelbyCobra
¯
Member # 10901

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ShelbyCobra  Ford pictures for ShelbyCobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You're gonna need a cat most likely.

--------------------
Shelby

- 1995 Ford Mustang GT
- 1965 Ford Mustang Fastback

Posts: 21 | From: San Leandro, CA | Registered: May 2011  |  :
Venomousnotch
¯
Member # 8695

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Venomousnotch  Ford pictures for Venomousnotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by ShelbyCobra:
You're gonna need a cat most likely.

+1 Definetely your gonna have to replace the catalytic converter...PO420-Catalytic converter below efficiency threshold...Replace the catalytic converter and call it a day.. [patriot] [patriot]

--------------------
🏁•2004 MUSTANG SVT COBRA•🏁

"WHEN THE WHINING STARTS,IT MEANS JUSTICE IS ABOUT TO BE SERVED"..

Posts: 7604 | From: *NORTHERN*KILLA4NIA* | Registered: Oct 2008  |  :
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SLOWSN95:
Basically o2s and the monitors are working together to determine what's going thru the exhaust. The computer keeps and eye on the switch rates of both the o2s and monitors. The post-cat readings are supposed to be significantly differnent from the pre-cat readings since the cats are supposed to reduce the amount of pollution going into the atmosphere. That code is trying to tell you that you have a bad cat. Very likely that you may need a new one, but get it checked out before you run into conclusions. If in need of a new cat, do not buy aftermarket unless you wanna buy a new one in a couple years

Yeah, both o2 sensors are reading almost the exact same. I threw the scanner on my new Jeep and saw what the sensor outputs should be and the Escape is way off. Sucks cause the cat is integrated to the manifold and its like $750 from the dealer.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
MikeD.
¯
Member # 8060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MikeD.  Ford pictures for MikeD.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by wilit:
quote:
Originally posted by SLOWSN95:

Yeah, both o2 sensors are reading almost the exact same. I threw the scanner on my new Jeep and saw what the sensor outputs should be and the Escape is way off. Sucks cause the cat is integrated to the manifold and its like $750 from the dealer.
750 [Eek!]

--------------------
1999 FRC Vette
12.77 @ 110

Posts: 2854 | From: Vacaville Ca, 707 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think cats have a longer warranty than the powertrain because of some law, I would look into it if I was you.

otherwise I found this with a quick ebay search for 2006 escape cat -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DORMAN-674-830-Exhaust-Manifold-W-Cat-/390352913759?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2006%7CModel%3AEscape&vxp=mtr&hash=item5ae2d8c55f

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWSN95  Ford pictures for SLOWSN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
tousleyfordparts.com

http://tousleyfordparts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getJointLocator&siteid=214771&chapter=§ionids=7,2489&groupid=60222&make=10&model=Escape&year=2006&catalogid=1&displayCa talogid=0

Posts: 2214 | From: 510/east bay | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
I think cats have a longer warranty than the powertrain because of some law, I would look into it if I was you.

otherwise I found this with a quick ebay search for 2006 escape cat -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DORMAN-674-830-Exhaust-Manifold-W-Cat-/390352913759?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2006%7CModel%3AEscape&vxp=mtr&hash=item5ae2d8c55f

I believe the federal mandate is the cat has to be warrantied for 80k miles. I'm at 110k [Frown]

I've got a buddy with a hook-up so i'm getting everything I need at a decent price.

[ December 13, 2011, 10:28 AM: Message edited by: wilit ]

--------------------

coupedup
¯
Member # 9987

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for coupedup  Ford pictures for coupedup    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey willit

If your still having troubles with the Escape PM WickedMotorsports , He's a ASE ford master tech from around my area and is way cool to deal with.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com