Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » adjusting rollor rockers

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: adjusting rollor rockers
ROK5.0
¯
Member # 8589

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ROK5.0  Ford pictures for ROK5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have some 1.7 rollor rockers fom crane cams that I bought used and I'm not really sure of the best way to instal them. The parts include: the 1.7 rollor cockers, a star head bolt, and I believe what is called the rocker guide or gridle not really sure. I've watched sum youtube videos but they all seem to show the ones with poly lock which I don't have so can anyone shed sum light on the situation for me plz?
blown95svt
¯
Member # 8893

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for blown95svt  Ford pictures for blown95svt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So you have the pedestal mount not the stud mounts? In this case you adjust them by using shims under the pedestals. You will rotate the cylinder to tdc. Tighten the rocker arm down while using 1 finger to roll the push rod back and forth. When you can't roll it, that is zero lash and your rocker arm bolt should tourqe down between 1/4-1/2 turn. If it takes more than 1/2 turn add a shim and recheck. Depending on your setup you may need pushrods. Each car is different.

--------------------
95 cobra blown 331 gr40 suspension
***NEED QUALITY WORK FOR HALF THE PRICE? I DO SIDE JOBS! PM FOR DETAILS***
www.norcalmotorcompany.com

Posts: 1434 | From: roseville | Registered: Jan 2009  |  :
ROK5.0
¯
Member # 8589

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ROK5.0  Ford pictures for ROK5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Okay I understand so far but how do I know if I need shims or a push rod? I don't have the shims that come with the kit is their a place that I can get them?
blown95svt
¯
Member # 8893

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for blown95svt  Ford pictures for blown95svt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by ROK5.0:
Okay I understand so far but how do I know if I need shims or a push rod? I don't have the shims that come with the kit is their a place that I can get them?

It's hard to say with out the car in front of me. You'll know if yours are too short. With the cylinder at tdc and rockers with no shims, the rocker will rock up and down. I wouldn't do more then 2 thick shims each. I believe a machine shop would have em. I have bought them from summit as well too.

--------------------

ROK5.0
¯
Member # 8589

Ok I got that but what are my tourque specs. And if I use 1 shim for one roller rocker will I have to use one for them all or is it going to be different for each one?
blown95svt
¯
Member # 8893

You should be able to set up 1 intake and 1 exhaust and use the same for each on 1 head. You will want to do the same procedure on the other head. I believe it's 18lbs for the rocker arms may want to double check.

--------------------

ROK5.0
¯
Member # 8589

Okay I got it but correct me if I'm wrong after I get to zero lash if it takes me more than a 1/2 turn to reach 18ftlbs of tourque then I need to add shims right?
blown95svt
¯
Member # 8893

quote:
Originally posted by ROK5.0:
Okay I got it but correct me if I'm wrong after I get to zero lash if it takes me more than a 1/2 turn to reach 18ftlbs of tourque then I need to add shims right?

Exactly! 1/4 turn for performance. Maybe a little noisy but not super loud. 1/2-3/4 turn for quiet.

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com