Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Stock Block questions???

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Stock Block questions???
8lbCoupe
¯
Member # 11416

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 8lbCoupe  Ford pictures for 8lbCoupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm new to the board lookin for some help on my build.. So here I go I have a low mile stock 5.0 motor no problems at all and I was wondering if I do a H,C,I with a On3 turbo kit wit that be to much for the block to stand?? Any helpful input is appreciated

[ November 10, 2011, 01:00 PM: Message edited by: 8lbCoupe ]

--------------------
"HEAVY DOSAGE"

Sydewayz_Stan
¯
Member # 10217

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sydewayz_Stan  Ford pictures for Sydewayz_Stan  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
More than likely it will be enough to split the block

--------------------
-90 Vert-SOLD
-91 Notch-SOLD
-2000 Explorer 5.0-SOLD
-72 Maverick-SOLD
-2004 GT, vortech V2 si, 10 psi-
-2002 F150 supercrew-

Posts: 3432 | From: 707 vallejo/richmond 510 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  :
1fastmach1
¯
Member # 10137

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1fastmach1  Ford pictures for 1fastmach1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
it should hold just keep the boost low

--------------------
REDLINE MOTORSPORTS CC EST 2011
1993 CHP sold
2004 mach 1 408 Windsor n20 fed
R.I.P. JORGE GUTIERREZ JR
6/13/1982- 11/05/2013

Posts: 2592 | From: clawwwitter to 7th st | Registered: Jul 2010  |  :
Sydewayz_Stan
¯
Member # 10217

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sydewayz_Stan  Ford pictures for Sydewayz_Stan  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
And o yea welcome to cafords

--------------------
-90 Vert-SOLD
-91 Notch-SOLD
-2000 Explorer 5.0-SOLD
-72 Maverick-SOLD
-2004 GT, vortech V2 si, 10 psi-
-2002 F150 supercrew-

Posts: 3432 | From: 707 vallejo/richmond 510 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  :
Pumpkin_Notch
TEAM PLATINUM
Member # 3946

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Notch  Ford pictures for Pumpkin_Notch  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Welcome to cafords

--------------------
TEAM PLATINUM
87LX: T-TOP PUMPKIN NOTCH
94N.C.F.GT: 418w
www.facebook.com/PLATINUM1320tv

Posts: 2790 | From: RICHMOND/sanpablo | Registered: Dec 2003  |  :
racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Anything over 450hp is pushing the limits of the stock block, but a turbo isn't as has hard as a blower would be on a motor, so you can get it to live longer. I have a stock block making 650hp with 14lbs and another stock block at 550hp with 11lbs, so far so good. Nice thing about a turbo is you can make great hp with the stock cam.

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Posts: 20750 | From: Concord & Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
8lbCoupe
¯
Member # 11416

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 8lbCoupe  Ford pictures for 8lbCoupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by racsirx:
Anything over 450hp is pushing the limits of the stock block, but a turbo isn't as has hard as a blower would be on a motor, so you can get it to live longer. I have a stock block making 650hp with 14lbs and another stock block at 550hp with 11lbs, so far so good. Nice thing about a turbo is you can make great hp with the stock cam.

What's some of the stuff u did to your short blocks to get the to hold that 550hp u mentioned

--------------------
"HEAVY DOSAGE"

racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The 550hp block is just freshened up stock one, the 650hp is a cemented block with stronger 28oz crank, eagle rods and SRP pistons to a 306 with a stock cam and no girdles.

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

8lbCoupe
¯
Member # 11416

quote:
The 550hp block is just freshened up stock one, the 650hp is a cemented block with stronger 28oz crank, eagle rods and SRP pistons to a 306 with a stock cam and no girdles.

Ok well better question is like I stated I have a stock short block I'll be running a out the box set of th edelbrock E street heads also I'll be running the short runner victor efi intake and as far as cam I might leave it stock since u say turbo's like them will this combo split my block and possibly how much go can I expect wit the on3 kit??

--------------------
"HEAVY DOSAGE"

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A spot on balance job is critical to keeping them together.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

quote:
Originally posted by 8lbCoupe:
quote:

Ok well better question is like I stated I have a stock short block I'll be running a out the box set of th edelbrock E street heads also I'll be running the short runner victor efi intake and as far as cam I might leave it stock since u say turbo's like them will this combo split my block and possibly how much go can I expect wit the on3 kit??
I am assuming with a 70mm turbo? The victor intake might be too big, you can easily make 450 to 550 depending on boost.

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

8lbCoupe
¯
Member # 11416

Yeah I'm gonna go wit the 70mm that's in the base kit on3 offers and as far as the intake I hear it might be a bit much cuz the short runner but I jus really like the look of them is there a way I could pull it off wit that intake the heads I mentioned a stock cam and the 70mm turbo wit a tune on pump gas and keep the block alive????

--------------------
"HEAVY DOSAGE"

racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Well you might not see the full benefit of that intake unless you run higher boost. The victor intake is a great intake for high rpm or high boost but a turbo has a low rpm power band. I was shifting mine at 5200rpm when I ran 9s with 14lbs also with a short runner intake.

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

8lbCoupe
¯
Member # 11416

When u break it down like that I understand so with that being said how would that setup perform on the street and when u mention boost u say low I was thinkin something like 8lbs hence the "8lbcoupe" I'm not lookin to amaze at the track I jus really want a street car that can line up up and hold its own aginst other typical not so extreme supercharged foxbodies

--------------------
"HEAVY DOSAGE"

egobreaker5.0
¯
Member # 11085

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for egobreaker5.0  Ford pictures for egobreaker5.0  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
When u break it down like that I understand so with that being said how would that setup perform on the street and when u mention boost u say low I was thinkin something like 8lbs hence the "8lbcoupe" I'm not lookin to amaze at the track I jus really want a street car that can line up up and hold its own aginst other typical not so extreme supercharged foxbodies

you'll be good as long as u get a good tune and stay around 8-10 lbs..

--------------------
1992 5.0 Lx Hatch Full Boltons 14.0 @ 99 (Sold)

2005 Dodge Srt-4 Full boltons/91oct 12.8 @ 108

2004 Cobra Ported/pullied/tuned

racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

quote:

You will be fine, also no need to go higher than 3:55 gears, turbos don't like a lot gear like a blower does.

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

8lbCoupe
¯
Member # 11416

quote:
quote:

You will be fine, also no need to go higher than 3:55 gears, turbos don't like a lot gear like a blower does.
I get the impression u know your stuff when it comes to turbo/ fords I'll probaly bug u every now and again for pointers lol [worship]

--------------------
"HEAVY DOSAGE"

REDLIGHTING
¯
Member # 11296

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for REDLIGHTING  Ford pictures for REDLIGHTING    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ya he does. [patriot]

--------------------
1992 coupe YSI, DART,
225 TFS HIGH PORTS
04 mystichrome convertible

2006 GMC sierra slt crew

racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

I know a little, I just spent a lot of time working on my 70mm turbo kit so i could get into the 9s, I don't mind helping out.

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

2BlueGeeTees
¯
Member # 4702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2BlueGeeTees  Ford pictures for 2BlueGeeTees    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Machine work is the key to keeping the stock block together andthe amount of money it costs tothe average Joe sometimes isn't worth it. Like John said spot on balance. Radius oil passages. Remove casting flash. Stud the block. And hope to god the block likes you!
Posts: 2316 | From: Vacaville | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com