Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Mass Air Problem

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Mass Air Problem
Built88LX
¯
Member # 10758

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Built88LX  Ford pictures for Built88LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My car starts up and runs for a few minutes then dies. sometimes it starts right back up, other times cranks over but wont fire.could it be my mass air or possibly my computer going out and how can I test them to find out for sure? sorry for such a long post im a lil frustrated at this point
Posts: 2390 | From: $acramento | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
Built88LX
¯
Member # 10758

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for Built88LX  Ford pictures for Built88LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Can I use brake cleaner to clean my mass air or what should I use?
1fastmach1
¯
Member # 10137

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1fastmach1  Ford pictures for 1fastmach1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
mass air cleaner only messed my pro-m usin brake cleaner

--------------------
REDLINE MOTORSPORTS CC EST 2011
1993 CHP sold
2004 mach 1 408 Windsor n20 fed
R.I.P. JORGE GUTIERREZ JR
6/13/1982- 11/05/2013

Posts: 2592 | From: clawwwitter to 7th st | Registered: Jul 2010  |  :
dunrite
¯
Member # 9861

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for dunrite  Ford pictures for dunrite    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my engine did that also now comes the silly stuff that happened, first I had a bad hall sensor after I replaced that the engine started ran fine then quit after 20mins. Then began a bunch of testing to discover after someone suggested that I was running out of gas. Sure enough, I had installed a new custom tank with pump and I put 2 gallons of gas in it but only 1 gallon was usable. I had assumed I had plenty of fuel cause there was 40lbs of pressure. I added 3 gallons and it runs fine every since. I tested the hall sensor and never could tell if failed or not but it was bad.
Built88LX
¯
Member # 10758

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Built88LX  Ford pictures for Built88LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by dunrite:
my engine did that also now comes the silly stuff that happened, first I had a bad hall sensor after I replaced that the engine started ran fine then quit after 20mins. Then began a bunch of testing to discover after someone suggested that I was running out of gas. Sure enough, I had installed a new custom tank with pump and I put 2 gallons of gas in it but only 1 gallon was usable. I had assumed I had plenty of fuel cause there was 40lbs of pressure. I added 3 gallons and it runs fine every since. I tested the hall sensor and never could tell if failed or not but it was bad.

Whats a bad hall sensor??? Im running a stock tank and pump im also confused about your post
Q8_Hatch
¯
Member # 11265

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Q8_Hatch  Ford pictures for Q8_Hatch  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The maf sensor is bypassed during cranking, so you might have another problem.
You could clean the maf using electronic cleaner from any hardware store and test it again, try to unplug the maf and see if it runs any better, do you have any codes stored in the ecu?

--------------------
410W, Canfeilds, Kooks, 3" exhaust, Jay Allen cam, Super Vic Jr EFI intake, 42lb inj, N2O, Tweecer R/T, Florida50 gauge cluster, TKO 600 and 3.73

Built88LX
¯
Member # 10758

Codes are as follows:code 14 erratic ignition signal code 41 lack of HO2S lean bank 1. and code 94 lack of HO2S lean bank 2. Not sure exactly what they mean but my car doesnt have the check engine light on when cars running but dies almost immediately after starting
coupedup
¯
Member # 9987

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for coupedup  Ford pictures for coupedup    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Call a Ford Tech and tell them the codes its throwing , either that or hit up someone with a code reader

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com