Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » why doesnt my coolant frm overflow suck back into radiator

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: why doesnt my coolant frm overflow suck back into radiator
707clone
¯
Member # 10342

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 707clone  Ford pictures for 707clone  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
so when my t-stat opens up an pushes the hot water out to the overflow tank y doesnt it get sucked back into the radiator??

--------------------
Maybe I should get drunk off my HATERADE elsewhere?

I was slow to take the hint, so I'm taking a break from CAFords for the rest of the month. Now excuse me while I enjoy some cereal. Mmmmm Mmmmm good. Who else wants to join me?

Lil Ric!
R.I.P CHARLIE HUSTLE!

91gt p heads,b cam,3:55s,exhaust
89 coupe just startin on him

Posts: 2614 | From: v a dubble | Registered: Sep 2010  |  :
Sydewayz_Stan
¯
Member # 10217

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sydewayz_Stan  Ford pictures for Sydewayz_Stan  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
it should when the motor cools off

--------------------
-90 Vert-SOLD
-91 Notch-SOLD
-2000 Explorer 5.0-SOLD
-72 Maverick-SOLD
-2004 GT, vortech V2 si, 10 psi-
-2002 F150 supercrew-

Posts: 3432 | From: 707 vallejo/richmond 510 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  :
707clone
¯
Member # 10342

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 707clone  Ford pictures for 707clone  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by sydewayzLX50:
it should when the motor cools off

stan wtf!! naw im playin! then how czn i explain whats goin on with my temp goin up!! air pockets in motor??

--------------------

I was slow to take the hint, so I'm taking a break from CAFords for the rest of the month. Now excuse me while I enjoy some cereal. Mmmmm Mmmmm good. Who else wants to join me?

Lil Ric!
R.I.P CHARLIE HUSTLE!

turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Man did you check for CCW rotation on your water pump? 86-93 5.0 right?

http://www.californiafords.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=025129

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
Sydewayz_Stan
¯
Member # 10217

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sydewayz_Stan  Ford pictures for Sydewayz_Stan  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
your overflow is working right, your car is just overheating. i personally think its your fan or water pump. im leaning more towards the fan though.

--------------------
-90 Vert-SOLD
-91 Notch-SOLD
-2000 Explorer 5.0-SOLD
-72 Maverick-SOLD
-2002 F150 supercrew-

Sydewayz_Stan
¯
Member # 10217

his water pump is being spun ccw, i cant say for sure if its a reverse rotation pump though

--------------------
-90 Vert-SOLD
-91 Notch-SOLD
-2000 Explorer 5.0-SOLD
-72 Maverick-SOLD
-2002 F150 supercrew-

turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
still has a headgasket or cracked head issue im about to bet money on it assuming all the rest of the coolant system is new.

Dan

--------------------

Sydewayz_Stan
¯
Member # 10217

even if its running like a champ and theres no mixing of water and oil?

--------------------
-90 Vert-SOLD
-91 Notch-SOLD
-2000 Explorer 5.0-SOLD
-72 Maverick-SOLD
-2002 F150 supercrew-

turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

quote:
even if its running like a champ and theres no mixing of water and oil?

Ya.

Did he have the coolant check for exhaust in it?

--------------------

SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWSN95  Ford pictures for SLOWSN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was about to say what Dan just said. Sounds like you got a bad head gasket and you have exhaust getting into your cooling system. With the car cold.. how long does it take for your upper radiator hose to get firm? If it gets firm almost instantly.. good chance thats your problem..
Posts: 2214 | From: 510/east bay | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
Sydewayz_Stan
¯
Member # 10217

the upper radiator hose doesnt get hard right away. it only really gets hard when its overheating. i dont know how to check exhaust in the coolant, but when i take the radiator cap off i dont hear any combustion or exhaust noises. how do you check that?

--------------------
-90 Vert-SOLD
-91 Notch-SOLD
-2000 Explorer 5.0-SOLD
-72 Maverick-SOLD
-2002 F150 supercrew-

707clone
¯
Member # 10342

i dnt have any oil mixin with water and the car runs fine it just does it in traffic sumtimes and by the way on the freeway its fine! dan if u can explain how it can b a blown headgasket!

--------------------

Lil Ric!
R.I.P CHARLIE HUSTLE!

Sikwidit-blumaxx88
¯
Member # 11046

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sikwidit-blumaxx88  Ford pictures for Sikwidit-blumaxx88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Lol

--------------------
SikwidiT cc
1988 5.0

707clone
¯
Member # 10342

quote:
Originally posted by RacerX:
Lol

lol at what?? when it happens to yo car lol at that! [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Lil Ric!
R.I.P CHARLIE HUSTLE!

coupe5oh
¯
Member # 10411

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for coupe5oh  Ford pictures for coupe5oh    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
but when i take the radiator cap off i dont hear any combustion or exhaust noises. how do you check that?

this made me lol..but if you can start the car with the radiatorcap off and coolant doesnt go gushing out then you most likely dont have exhaust gasses getting into your cooling system via a blown head gasket..but the only way you can know forsure is to use this tool...

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&sugexp=tshc&cp=12&gs_id=b&xhr=t&q=combustion+leak+tester&qscrl=1&nord=1&rlz=1T4ADBS_enUS291US292&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&ion=1&b iw=1280&bih=565&wrapid=tljp1314722523075014&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=5273924839465899478&sa=X&ei=8BJdTqDLG8O1sQLW9pwQ&sqi=2&ved=0CEkQ8gIwAA#

[ August 30, 2011, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: coupe5oh ]

--------------------
R.I.P Willie Guzman (5ltrsvt)
96 4.6- H/C/I 5.3 LS swap
95 5.0- SOLD
94 5.0- SOLD

CobraCoupe
¯
Member # 7233

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CobraCoupe  Ford pictures for CobraCoupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
go to a smog shop or a shop that has a smog analyzer and ask them if you could have them sniff the cooling system(overflow bottle, or radiator) with the caps off and watch for how much HC/CO content is in the coolant that will tell you if exhaust is getting in the cooling system....

--------------------
1965 Mustang convertible
2004 Ford Lightning #0537

turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

quote:
Originally posted by CobraCoupe:
go to a smog shop or a shop that has a smog analyzer and ask them if you could have them sniff the cooling system(overflow bottle, or radiator) with the caps off and watch for how much HC/CO content is in the coolant that will tell you if exhaust is getting in the cooling system....

This is exactly what you need to do.

--------------------

707clone
¯
Member # 10342

quote:
Originally posted by turbo50:
quote:
Originally posted by CobraCoupe:

This is exactly what you need to do.
will do!

--------------------

Lil Ric!
R.I.P CHARLIE HUSTLE!

707clone
¯
Member # 10342

forgot to mention i burped the radiator yesterday an drove it around for a while yesterday got on it,let it idle for like 15-20 mins and it didnt overheat! drove it around today a bit hard an it didnt overheat again!

--------------------

Lil Ric!
R.I.P CHARLIE HUSTLE!

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com