Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Need help with a BBF 390

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Need help with a BBF 390
Turbizzy
¯
Member # 5620

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Turbizzy  Ford pictures for Turbizzy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So my dad just picked up a 68 F100 with a 390 and it has several oil leaks im trying to fix. Main one being from the intake and valve covers. I tried replacing the intake gaskets but im having hella trouble lining up the intake bolts to the heads, it seems as though the intake gaskets are too thick and i can't line up the bolt holes. Anyone ever run into this?

Also the distributor is hella hard to remove and install, like the housing is too thick for the block. Anyone know the ignition timing spec?

Thanks.

nasty93
¯
Member # 8935

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nasty93  Ford pictures for nasty93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i thread in long studs or bolts with heads cut off and loosely thread them into front and back hole of each head. then you can slide on intake gaskets and they will stay put.and then install intake manifold and your holes should line up...
Posts: 464 | From: windsor ,ca | Registered: Feb 2009  |  :
Turbizzy
¯
Member # 5620

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Turbizzy  Ford pictures for Turbizzy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thats a good idea, does it actually work? It seems like its the front and rear outer bolts that are the most pain in the ass.

Another thing i found was that it has an EGR but the intake gaskets i got don't have ports cut out for the egr ports. Its like not like it has to be smogged or anything but should i leave it that way or should i get the correct gaskets?

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com