Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » intermittent miss help(new info!)

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: intermittent miss help(new info!)
87redgt
¯
Member # 9176

Ford Icon 4 posted      Profile for 87redgt  Ford pictures for 87redgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just recently built a 306 for my 87 gt. its been converted to mass air, has a trickflow stage 1 cam, 24lb injectors, gt40 heads, gt40 upper and lower intake, and a cobra mass air meter.
my problem is that it has an intermittent miss. its almost as if its firing in the wrong order, it happens very randomly. one day i could drive the car for an hour without any problems and then it'll miss really bad causing it to bog and sometimes slow down for up to a minute then it'll suddenly go back and drive like normal. then the next day it'll miss more than running right. it doesnt have a pattern to it or anything it just randomly does it on and off.
it has new spark plugs and wires, cap and rotor, and the distributor and coil are both a year old.
Any ideas on what it could be?

[ March 22, 2011, 07:36 PM: Message edited by: 87redgt ]

nasty93
¯
Member # 8935

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nasty93  Ford pictures for nasty93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if it was my ride id check codes,check timing with a light,check for vacuum leaks,proper fuel pressure,clean mass air meter and double check all wires n plugs.just my two cents..
Posts: 464 | From: windsor ,ca | Registered: Feb 2009  |  :
87redgt
¯
Member # 9176

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87redgt  Ford pictures for 87redgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The mass air is brand new. I pulled the codes and these are what I got: 15,23,67,10,29,41,66,91.
Egocentric
¯
Member # 9529

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egocentric  Ford pictures for Egocentric    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It sounds like a MAF problem, new doesn't always mean good!

--------------------
08 G37S
72 C10 Custom
R6

quote:
ain't no one tell me what to do. - NEIGHT

Posts: 1712 | From: NoOneTellMeWhatToDo-Neight | Registered: Oct 2009  |  :
87redgt
¯
Member # 9176

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87redgt  Ford pictures for 87redgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
its been doing it a lot more often now, to the point of not being able to drive it. its also popping through the intake and backfiring. does this sound like it could be an o2 sensor issue? i've had the car for 3 years and they've never been replaced.
87redgt
¯
Member # 9176

its been doing it a lot more often now, to the point of not being able to drive it. its also popping through the intake and backfiring. does this sound like it could be an o2 sensor issue? i've had the car for 3 years and they've never been replaced.
nasty93
¯
Member # 8935

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nasty93  Ford pictures for nasty93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
double check your timing with a light
Posts: 464 | From: windsor ,ca | Registered: Feb 2009  |  :
87redgt
¯
Member # 9176

quote:
Originally posted by nasty93:
double check your timing with a light

yeah its still at 14 degrees. its just weird because it started only missing a couple times per drive and it progressively got worse to where now its not driveable
87redgt
¯
Member # 9176

tried to work a little on it today. its not the o2's. now if its out of gear and i give it full throttle it'll pop through the intake once then rev up. when it gets to around 1500rpms it'll sputter and cut out a little throughout the rest of the rpms.
tribal3579warrior
¯
Member # 5663

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for tribal3579warrior  Ford pictures for tribal3579warrior    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check your mass air sensor, wires and ECU. What year wiring harness did you use? What year is the ECU from?
Pumpkin_Notch
TEAM PLATINUM
Member # 3946

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Notch  Ford pictures for Pumpkin_Notch  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Mine does the same thing everyones in a while [Confused]

--------------------
TEAM PLATINUM
87LX: T-TOP PUMPKIN NOTCH
94N.C.F.GT: 418w
www.facebook.com/PLATINUM1320tv

Posts: 2790 | From: RICHMOND/sanpablo | Registered: Dec 2003  |  :
Pumpkin_Notch
TEAM PLATINUM
Member # 3946

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Notch  Ford pictures for Pumpkin_Notch  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Any update

--------------------
TEAM PLATINUM

Secnd2nun64
¯
Member # 1431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Secnd2nun64  Ford pictures for Secnd2nun64    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would think it would be a vacuum leak based on what your talking about. It would be a good idea to change out all the vacuum lines if they are original.
87redgt
¯
Member # 9176

no idea what year the wiring harness was from, it was converted to mass air before i got it and all the hoses are fine. it was okay before i put the 306 in. it sat for about 4 months during the process. basically re-used everything from the 302 with the exception of a new mass air meter. it ran fine for about 50-100 miles before it gradually started getting worse to the point of it not being driveable. it does it with the mass air unplugged also. i gave up on it for now, it was getting to frustrating lol.i don't even know where to start.
CHP2981
¯
Member # 9240

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CHP2981  Ford pictures for CHP2981    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Someone else has similar problem. When I did my conversion in my 87 I forgot to change the MAP sensor from the speed density, it still plugged in but you have to use the mass air one and block off the intake side with one of those rubber plugs. It still ran but I had all kinds of backfiring it's been a wile sense I fixed it but if you still have a vac hose coming from it, it's not the correct one. Hope I helped you.

--------------------
No half steppin

Pumpkin_Notch
TEAM PLATINUM
Member # 3946

did a lil reading and it could be a bad map sensor and there free at pick n pull [Wink]

--------------------
TEAM PLATINUM

Egocentric
¯
Member # 9529

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egocentric  Ford pictures for Egocentric    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Actually, please check ignition coil. I went through trials and tribulations diagnosing mine, it was ignition coil.

--------------------
08 G37S
72 C10 Custom
R6

quote:
ain't no one tell me what to do. - NEIGHT

Posts: 1712 | From: NoOneTellMeWhatToDo-Neight | Registered: Oct 2009  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com