Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » aftermarket suspension for my 01 GT need help....

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: aftermarket suspension for my 01 GT need help....
ISP89LX
¯
Member # 8949

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ISP89LX  Ford pictures for ISP89LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
looking to upgrade the suspension on my 01 BULLIT, just wondering whats good out there for coilovers as my daily driver but still with good handleing, or whats a good lowering spring with some heavy duty adj struts...would preffer a coilover set up. but still trying to maintain a budget...would also love some feedback from those with the similar car and there suspension experiences with coilovers or lowering springs...also looking to remove my quad shocks due to running a 315 tire in the rear...any feedback would be highly appreciated...thanks cafords and members. [patriot]

[ March 14, 2011, 07:37 PM: Message edited by: ISP89LX ]

--------------------
89LX
Turbo50built!!!
Wait, he jacked my shit!!!
"Dan will make It rite" THIEF!

Posts: 2997 | From: Nowhere to be found. | Registered: Feb 2009  |  :
ISP89LX
¯
Member # 8949

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ISP89LX  Ford pictures for ISP89LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB

[ March 14, 2011, 07:36 PM: Message edited by: ISP89LX ]

--------------------
89LX
Turbo50built!!!

70mach351
¯
Member # 7528

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 70mach351  Ford pictures for 70mach351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
maximum motorsports makes a good product. you definetely get what you pay for. I just upgraded to h&r super sport springs, strange adjustables and adjustable LCA's in teh back. motor is apart right now so cant say how it handles. but H&R makes a quality spring if you decide not to go coil over. Maximum motorposrts does not recomend rear coil overs for the the street as they do not last long. what is your budget, that may help.

--------------------
70 Mach 1 gettin a make over
2001 Ford F250 Crew Cab 7.3

ISP89LX
¯
Member # 8949

quote:
Originally posted by 70mach351:
maximum motorsports makes a good product. you definetely get what you pay for. I just upgraded to h&r super sport springs, strange adjustables and adjustable LCA's in teh back. motor is apart right now so cant say how it handles. but H&R makes a quality spring if you decide not to go coil over. Maximum motorposrts does not recomend rear coil overs for the the street as they do not last long. what is your budget, that may help.

Thanks for the advice bro, that sounds like a good set up you got there...I wouldn't mind doing h&r also I hear lots of good things about them...ima try to keep it under 1k but will see what happens might end up spennding a lil more [Big Grin]

--------------------
89LX
Turbo50built!!!

1sickGT
¯
Member # 9276

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1sickGT  Ford pictures for 1sickGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have some MM sub frames brand new [Big Grin]

--------------------
**R.I.P Willie Guzman 5LTRSVT**

2015 Mustang GT
2015 Harley Davidson iron 883

71MercGT
¯
Member # 4305

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 71MercGT  Ford pictures for 71MercGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am running blistein hd all 4 corners, and h&r ss as well. Rides solid and handles when I push it. You can run 315s just fine without removing the quad shocks, as long as the backspacing is good. I have the 03 cobra 10.5s in the rear with no prob
SF Coupe
¯
Member # 1810

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SF Coupe  Ford pictures for SF Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

Never heard this before. The original poster should call maximum motorsports before taking this advice.
70mach351
¯
Member # 7528

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 70mach351  Ford pictures for 70mach351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ask for Jason. He said you will eat up shocks, rear coil overs are great but wear easily going in and out of driveways an over speed bumps

--------------------
70 Mach 1 gettin a make over
2001 Ford F250 Crew Cab 7.3

ISP89LX
¯
Member # 8949

quote:
Originally posted by 71MercGT:
I am running blistein hd all 4 corners, and h&r ss as well. Rides solid and handles when I push it. You can run 315s just fine without removing the quad shocks, as long as the backspacing is good. I have the 03 cobra 10.5s in the rear with no prob

nice, so far the h&r ss springs and blistein struts are in the lead...i appreciate the feedback bro... [patriot] , anyone else out there with some setups that would like to share there experience also.

--------------------
89LX
Turbo50built!!!

ISP89LX
¯
Member # 8949

quote:
Originally posted by 1sickGT:
I have some MM sub frames brand new [Big Grin]

thanks for rubbing it in marcel lol jk...u trying to sell them or are they installed in your car?

--------------------
89LX
Turbo50built!!!

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what are your goals with the car? Daily driver that is lowered? Weekend track day HPDE car that can also daily drive? Weekend straight line track car and daily driver?

Lots of -very- different options for each kind of setup.

a 300lb-350lb front coil over spring setup with koni adjustable struts is what I'd recommend for a daily driver / weekend HPDE track day car.

In the rear you don't need coil overs if you run MM Adj. lca's, as you can change the ride height and corner balance the car with the spring perches. MM does recommend upgrading the rear shock mounts for daily drivers with coil-overs but I think that depends on the spring rate, and is something to ask MM tech line, IMO.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
ISP89LX
¯
Member # 8949

quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
what are your goals with the car? Daily driver that is lowered? Weekend track day HPDE car that can also daily drive? Weekend straight line track car and daily driver?

Lots of -very- different options for each kind of setup.

a 300lb-350lb front coil over spring setup with koni adjustable struts is what I'd recommend for a daily driver / weekend HPDE track day car.

In the rear you don't need coil overs if you run MM Adj. lca's, as you can change the ride height and corner balance the car with the spring perches. MM does recommend upgrading the rear shock mounts for daily drivers with coil-overs but I think that depends on the spring rate, and is something to ask MM tech line, IMO.

More of a daily driver, but still want it to handle good on turns...etc...

--------------------
89LX
Turbo50built!!!

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
a set of MM c/o's with 300 or 325lb springs in the front with bilstein struts would be great up front on a DD.

in the rear, talk to a MM tech for a good spring combo, but they typically don't recommend coil-overs until you have subframes, rear lca's, phb, and ta.

If you don't care about height adjustment as much, bilsteins all around with H&R Race, or Steeda Sport springs are a great combo for a daily driver that handles really well. Combine that with MM HD Adj. lca's in the rear, c/c plates in the front, and you'd have a great start.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
ZincYellow 281
¯
Member # 9865

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ZincYellow 281  Ford pictures for ZincYellow 281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
For my 01 I put M&M caster/camber plates, Hd LCR, sportline springs, eibach pro dampers. I'm very happy with my setup, I would recommend them. Next I'm putting my subframe connectors and rear upper control rear. Then after saving $ I will get a PHB, she's my DD.
ISP89LX
¯
Member # 8949

quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
a set of MM c/o's with 300 or 325lb springs in the front with bilstein struts would be great up front on a DD.

in the rear, talk to a MM tech for a good spring combo, but they typically don't recommend coil-overs until you have subframes, rear lca's, phb, and ta.

If you don't care about height adjustment as much, bilsteins all around with H&R Race, or Steeda Sport springs are a great combo for a daily driver that handles really well. Combine that with MM HD Adj. lca's in the rear, c/c plates in the front, and you'd have a great start.

yeah i don't mind the height adjustment for now, just working on driving her a lil better for the moment but still handle ok...

--------------------
89LX
Turbo50built!!!

ISP89LX
¯
Member # 8949

quote:
Originally posted by ZincYellowGt281:
For my 01 I put M&M caster/camber plates, Hd LCR, sportline springs, eibach pro dampers. I'm very happy with my setup, I would recommend them. Next I'm putting my subframe connectors and rear upper control rear. Then after saving $ I will get a PHB, she's my DD.

yeah things are a bit tite for me, so looking to get there at a steady pace also, gotta save some cash also [Big Grin] . so im feelin the route with some good springs and shocks...

--------------------
89LX
Turbo50built!!!

Sydewayz_Stan
¯
Member # 10217

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sydewayz_Stan  Ford pictures for Sydewayz_Stan  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SF Coupe:
quote:

Never heard this before. The original poster should call maximum motorsports before taking this advice.
griggs and mm both recommend against using rear coilovers, so i'll follow their advice.

--------------------
-90 Vert-SOLD
-91 Notch-SOLD
-2000 Explorer 5.0-SOLD
-72 Maverick-SOLD
-2004 GT, vortech V2 si, 10 psi-
-2002 F150 supercrew-

Posts: 3432 | From: 707 vallejo/richmond 510 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  :
Rio1999GT
¯
Member # 9231

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rio1999GT  Ford pictures for Rio1999GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ive had both set ups. H&Rs and Bilstein HDs all around, and right now im running all MM coil overs with flsfc, xd lca, and phb. All from Maximum Motorsports. i DDed with Both set ups and both were good... Coilovers being a little more stiff because of the spring rate

Both set ups are good, but I like the coilovers just cause lol

[ March 15, 2011, 06:43 PM: Message edited by: Rio1999GT ]

ZincYellow 281
¯
Member # 9865

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ZincYellow 281  Ford pictures for ZincYellow 281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by ISP89LX:
quote:

yeah things are a bit tite for me, so looking to get there at a steady pace also, gotta save some cash also [Big Grin] . so im feelin the route with some good springs and shocks...
I would have loved to do a coil overs set up, but it was out of my price range. You will be happy with a good set of shocks and springs. Along with all the other suspension upgrades.
SnakeBit
¯
Member # 8871

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SnakeBit  Ford pictures for SnakeBit    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ISP89LX:
quote:

I would have loved to do a coil overs set up, but it was out of my price range. You will be happy with a good set of shocks and springs. Along with all the other suspension upgrades.
+1 but I'm not sure how far you will get on $1000. I just threw this kit in and it handles ridiculously. The kit for your year is about the same price.

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_67&products_id=1248

[ March 16, 2011, 06:50 PM: Message edited by: SnakeBit ]

--------------------
91 Coupe full M/M suspension
Maier WideBody
331 356 RWHP 357 RWTQ
Tuned by TPS MotorSports

ddarkslayer
¯
Member # 10688

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ddarkslayer  Ford pictures for ddarkslayer    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
maximum motorsports are nice products but I recommend team z
Sonic96GT
¯
Member # 9594

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonic96GT  Ford pictures for Sonic96GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A lot of people run Q1A tubular k with c/o. Ive heard nothing bad about their tubular k with c/o is about $550 for the front kit.
DEVERO2
¯
Member # 6155

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DEVERO2  Ford pictures for DEVERO2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
on my 2002 GT I have Steeda coil over with tokico D-spec fronts with MM rear coil over with bilstiens, Lower shock mounts, lower control arms, Ford Racing uppers with poly bushings, Global west Subframes, front and rear strut tower braces,Eiback sway bars, MM caster/camber plates. Handles amazing, on the track, but is a little rough on the street. it can be Daily driven but it will take its toll over time. It was my DD up until tuesday when I bought a DD. It now will be on the street ocassionally and will see a lot of open track time.
Posts: 641 | From: sacramento | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com