Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » exhaust leak.......

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: exhaust leak.......
BlownSnake95
¯
Member # 10578

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlownSnake95  Ford pictures for BlownSnake95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ok so i have a exhaust leak from both headers. i pulled the driver side and put a new gasket on it ( fel-pro 1415) and tightened the collector good. it still leaks. could it be shitty headers or some thing wrong with the heads? the guy i bought the car from said they were JBA headers but i cant find a JBA tag any where on the car. i am guessing they are just some cheap ones. thanks guys

--------------------
95 White Cobra vortech V-1 s-trim, heads, cam, ported cobra intake, and other things

Posts: 54 | From: San Diego CA | Registered: Jan 2011  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
can you tell where the leak is coming from? Hard to fix it if you can't find it. JBA's are known to crack at the welds though.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
BlownSnake95
¯
Member # 10578

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlownSnake95  Ford pictures for BlownSnake95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
it sounds like it is coming from around the header flange or just below it? maybe the welds were all for primaries come together?

--------------------
95 White Cobra vortech V-1 s-trim, heads, cam, ported cobra intake, and other things

Posts: 54 | From: San Diego CA | Registered: Jan 2011  |  :
Driftking209
¯
Member # 10458

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Driftking209  Ford pictures for Driftking209    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I put that orange gasket sealer and a gasket to make sure they won't leak at all
Sydewayz_Stan
¯
Member # 10217

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sydewayz_Stan  Ford pictures for Sydewayz_Stan  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
its probably where the h-pipe bolts on to the headers mustangs always have that problem the bolts have to be tightened evenly and has to be pretty closely lined up or it leaks like crazy. back off the 2 nuts on each side from under the car and tighten them up evenly and TIGHT

--------------------
-90 Vert-SOLD
-91 Notch-SOLD
-2000 Explorer 5.0-SOLD
-72 Maverick-SOLD
-2004 GT, vortech V2 si, 10 psi-
-2002 F150 supercrew-

Posts: 3432 | From: 707 vallejo/richmond 510 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  :
fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fredfifty  Ford pictures for fredfifty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have the same problem. i found the leak, its right at the flange where the bend is. the crack is super small so if yours is there, youd have to look really close...and you could have someone hit the gas while you listen in on the header, that might help too
FOXX5.0
¯
Member # 9094

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FOXX5.0  Ford pictures for FOXX5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sydewayzLX50
yup wat he said. ima have to do that to my passanger side i hear a lil exhuast leak so off with the nuts and try to put them eavenly. it gets a lil annoying if u dont get it right and u have to keep doing it and doing it

[ February 24, 2011, 04:04 AM: Message edited by: SN95.0 ]

Sydewayz_Stan
¯
Member # 10217

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sydewayz_Stan  Ford pictures for Sydewayz_Stan  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SN95.0:
sydewayzLX50
yup wat he said. ima have to do that to my passanger side i hear a lil exhuast leak so off with the nuts and try to put them eavenly. it gets a lil annoying if u dont get it right and u have to keep doing it and doing it

yea its very annoying sometimes u just gotta stick with it & try different things

--------------------
-90 Vert-SOLD
-91 Notch-SOLD
-2000 Explorer 5.0-SOLD
-72 Maverick-SOLD
-2004 GT, vortech V2 si, 10 psi-
-2002 F150 supercrew-

Posts: 3432 | From: 707 vallejo/richmond 510 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com