Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Any First hand experience w/ 331 stroker, passing SMOG?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Any First hand experience w/ 331 stroker, passing SMOG?
mikeceli
¯
Member # 8389

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mikeceli  Ford pictures for mikeceli    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The 5.0 HO in my 1988 Lincoln Mark VII has 253,000 Miles. I want to rebuild it, to 331 CU IN.

I would like more low end/mid range, torque, for street driving. I am not willing to loose any factory features (like AC, cruise control, silenced air intake).

Has Anyone passed smog, w/ a 331? (I mean actually pass, not bribe) If so, please tell me about you build.

--------------------
God Bless America!

88 Mark VII LSC/00 Excursion Diesel/94 Thunderbird SC/01 Corvette/79 "Bandit" Trans Am/83 Cordoba

Posts: 33 | From: N. California, Sonoma County | Registered: May 2008  |  :
1fastmach1
¯
Member # 10137

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1fastmach1  Ford pictures for 1fastmach1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i had a 331 with a e-303 cam and gt40 -x heads had 8;6;1 compression and a holley sytemmax 2 intake had 24lb injectors with pro-m mass air, bbk shorty headers and a bassanni high flow cat x pipe passed the sniffer but sum times did not past visual inspection cus of the shiiny intake

--------------------
REDLINE MOTORSPORTS CC EST 2011
1993 CHP sold
2004 mach 1 408 Windsor n20 fed
R.I.P. JORGE GUTIERREZ JR
6/13/1982- 11/05/2013

Posts: 2592 | From: clawwwitter to 7th st | Registered: Jul 2010  |  :
SPECIALTY15***MM PERFORMANCE***
¯
Member # 2978

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SPECIALTY15***MM PERFORMANCE***  Ford pictures for SPECIALTY15***MM PERFORMANCE***    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
AS LONG AS YOU HAVE ALL THE SMOG EQUIMPENT ON IT IT WILL PASS..SMOG TECHS CANT TELL WHAT THE DISPLACEMENT IS.

--------------------
MM PERFORMANCE
916-993-9581

Posts: 861 | From: sacramento | Registered: Jun 2003  |  :
LQ9SN95
¯
Member # 7080

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LQ9SN95  Ford pictures for LQ9SN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
cats, right cam, and smog equipment should pass no problem

--------------------
http://www.fastgms-teamfast.com
http://www.facebook.com/aop.fresno?ref=ts&fref=ts
Lq9 swap
102 fast intake
Trick flow heads
T rex cam

Posts: 8031 | From: Fresno, Ca | Registered: Sep 2006  |  :
BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SPECIALTY15***MM PERFORMANCE***:
AS LONG AS YOU HAVE ALL THE SMOG EQUIMPENT ON IT IT WILL PASS..SMOG TECHS CANT TELL WHAT THE DISPLACEMENT IS.

^^^^^ this
threethirty1
¯
Member # 7814

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for threethirty1  Ford pictures for threethirty1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a 10.5 331, passed with the TFS stage 1 cam, bassani catted X, shorties.

Just make sure you have a good tune and a stock t-stat.

--------------------
1987 Black GT
factory zero option car

95331StrimVert
¯
Member # 6250

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for 95331StrimVert  Ford pictures for 95331StrimVert  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Pass no problem. Keep the smog equipment. do it.

--------------------
95331StrimVert

Posts: 398 | From: Martinez ca | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
mikeceli
¯
Member # 8389

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mikeceli  Ford pictures for mikeceli    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks, so far!

I'd like to rebuild the engine and pick up some LOW END torque. Maybe another 50-75 ft lbs. I'ts in a Lincoln and I want it to STAY a Lincoln. IE No racing, manually shifting, I want it quiet, smooth and reliable, like original.

88 Mark VII has 255,000 miles, never been apart, just WELL maintained.

I'm thinking forged 331 kit, valve job and mild port/blend job on OE iron heads (or NEW heads) possibly a mild cam.

But It must pass smog and retain the cruise control and everything else. I even want to retain the stock headers. I have some high flow mufflers, Walker,or other brand.

What say yous?

--------------------
God Bless America!

88 Mark VII LSC/00 Excursion Diesel/94 Thunderbird SC/01 Corvette/79 "Bandit" Trans Am/83 Cordoba

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by mikeceli:
Thanks, so far!

I'd like to rebuild the engine and pick up some LOW END torque. Maybe another 50-75 ft lbs. I'm thinking forged 331 kit, valve job and mild port/blend job on OE iron heads (or NEW heads) possibly a mild cam....But It must pass smog and retain the cruise control and everything else. I even want to retain the stock headers. I have some high flow mufflers, Walker,or other brand.

What say yous?

Unless you're going to spend $ to upgrade the torque converter, rebuild the transmission, and spring for a set of aluminum heads...put a stock 5.0 back into it and call it a day. If you want a combo that will pass NO problem, use this:

Coast High Performance kit 10666-SF-F331. Find a GREAT machine shop. Have them do the work and assembly.
Run a Powermax 2031 camshaft with hardened pushrods. Low duration, but it'll pull to 6000 no problem. Run 1.7 rockers (stud mount)
AFR 165 heads.
A set of smog-legal Shorty headers. Make sure the carb EO number is attached to them. MAC, JBA, and Ford Racing are just a few. Any Mustang versions will fit.
24lb injectors
65mm TB
70mm MAF
Run a Cobra Intake. Port-match the lower to the AFR ports.
New balancer and flywheel for the 331 28oz imbalance.
Underdrive pullies
High flow water pump
Alternator upgrade to 3G
High flow exhaust and high flow cats
Aluminum radiator

Enjoy.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
MauriSSio
¯
Member # 9943

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MauriSSio  Ford pictures for MauriSSio    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
besides what people have posted, make sure the car gets up to temp. A warmer car usually has a greater chance of passing the sniffer test (why does that sound gross?)
mikeceli
¯
Member # 8389

i FORGOT TO MENTION, my 88 Lincoln is Speed Density. The Lincoln cruise control runs through the PCM, so I am gonna have to stay w/ SD.

Will any of you guys sugestions work w/ SD, and pass smog?

--------------------
God Bless America!

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
i FORGOT TO MENTION, my 88 Lincoln is Speed Density. The Lincoln cruise control runs through the PCM, so I am gonna have to stay w/ SD.

Will any of you guys sugestions work w/ SD, and pass smog?

Run the stock cam and 19lb injectors, same combo.

Saying you want a 331 and sticking with SD is like saying you only go to the strip clubs because you like the lunch buffett. It sounds like a good idea, but it's pointless.
Without converting to Mass Air, you are severely limiting the potential of your combo.

[ January 07, 2011, 07:25 AM: Message edited by: JohnB ]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

mikeceli
¯
Member # 8389

Darn that SD!

I really want to increase the displacement because it equals more torque, my goal.

Also, for a little more than the cost of resizing rods, and balancing, I can get a balanced rotating assembly. (Since w/ 255,000 miles I firgre a rebore is probably needed).

SO, your recommending..... a set of AFR 165 heads, cam, upsize TB and air flow meter, and a rebuild? (I'm sticking w/ stock headers, as I mentioned)

I do not want underdrive pullies, or a louder exhaust.

I mentioned I want this to STAY a Lincoln, just more low end torque. I really wanted most of my upgrades to be INSIDE the engine. I'd be happy w/ 50-75 ft lbs more low end.

I do not want to comprimise serviceability w/ headers that don't fit/clear as well as OE.

I am looking for OLD FASHIONED POWER. As WHEN YOU COULD ORDER A FORD W/ your choice of a 302/351/390/428 and each ran with equal quiet, smoothness and reliability.

--------------------
God Bless America!

SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Throw some 373's in the rear and it will wake it up. just saw this & scroll down to racirx's post.

http://www.californiafords.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=023623;p=1#000005

[ January 08, 2011, 02:06 AM: Message edited by: SmokinLX ]

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

quote:
Also, for a little more than the cost of resizing rods, and balancing, I can get a balanced rotating assembly.
SO, your recommending..... a set of AFR 165 heads, cam, upsize TB and air flow meter, and a rebuild? (I'm sticking w/ stock headers, as I mentioned)

I do not want underdrive pullies, or a louder exhaust.

I mentioned I want this to STAY a Lincoln, just more low end torque. I really wanted most of my upgrades to be INSIDE the engine. I'd be happy w/ 50-75 ft lbs more low end.

I do not want to comprimise serviceability w/ headers that don't fit/clear as well as OE.

The 331 rotating assembly comes balanced...FREE..from CHP. I don't know where you get rods re-sized and a rotating assembly balanced and that equals a new assembly...it's 1/3 the cost, if that. Also, don't bother with heads if you're don't upgrade the headers. The ports won't match up and it will literally choke the exhaust.
And you can't upgrade a air meter you don't have...it's a SD car.

You may want to go with a stock 302 again. Otherwise, you're wasting parts...no offense.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

mikeceli
¯
Member # 8389

Thanks for the input.

Here in n cali, it runs $393 to mag, and resize 8 rods and balance the rotating assembly (plus new bolts).

I would get more VALUE for the money, buying a balanced, forged rotating assembly.

IF, I could get it to work w/ SD and cali's darn smog rules.

I have accepted needing some cali legal shorty headers.

I really like the idea of increasing torque through displacement. Because 1 displacement equals more torque. 2 Makes economic sense since I'll need an overbore anyway. 3 It is INSIDE the engine, where it won't complicate future work, by fitting poorly, like some speed parts do.

What say you?

--------------------
God Bless America!

lscstk
¯
Member # 5788

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for lscstk  Ford pictures for lscstk  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can add Mass Air and keep your cruise control, I believe the 1988 LSC has a stand alone cruise, but it is no problem to piggy back a second computer. 331 will pass smog as long as you have the smog equipment hooked up.

go here to this site it's free and you will find your linc brothers there, all your Mark VII questions will be answered as these guys have done it all to MK7, http://www.fordvschevy.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=60

[ January 16, 2011, 08:18 PM: Message edited by: lscstk ]

--------------------
3.73 gears-MAC cover-Turbo mufs-1 5/8 header-GT40p heaeds-TFS valve kit-SVO-1.6RR-BBK cat x-pipeand CAI-Cobra Intake-65mmTB, upgraded sway bar F/R

Posts: 258 | From: stockton ca | Registered: Jun 2005  |  :
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

quote:
Thanks for the input.

Here in n cali, it runs $393 to mag, and resize 8 rods and balance the rotating assembly (plus new bolts).

I would get more VALUE for the money, buying a balanced, forged rotating assembly.

IF, I could get it to work w/ SD and cali's darn smog rules.

I have accepted needing some cali legal shorty headers.

I really like the idea of increasing torque through displacement. Because 1 displacement equals more torque. 2 Makes economic sense since I'll need an overbore anyway. 3 It is INSIDE the engine, where it won't complicate future work, by fitting poorly, like some speed parts do.

What say you?

1. Find a new shop, you're paying too much.
2. Unless you're willing to upgrade everything, to include the exhaust, you're wasting your time. Put a fresh 302 in it and call it a day. Sticking a 331 or larger in it is pointless if you stick stock parts on it.
3. For what you want, you don't need a forged rotating assembly. You're staying NA, no cam, and it won't see 6500rpms even if you put it in neutral and pushed it off a cliff. Save your money and put it into other things, like a R&P swap as previously mentioned.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

cdog301
¯
Member # 5136

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cdog301  Ford pictures for cdog301    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
John B he obviously does not know you resided in Northern cali for a looong time!!!!!
and you have built just a few motors!
all I can say is wow! [Big Grin]

--------------------
1992 Notch
Dss Pro Bullet
Afr 165's
GT40 U/L
Bassani X w/cats
and other goodies!!!!!!!
I love MOSTLY MUSTANGS OAKLAND CA

Posts: 386 | From: Richmond CA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  :
mikeceli
¯
Member # 8389

Thank you all for your input. Since it sounds like I cannot acomplish my goals, w/ SD I will leave it alone until the engine fails.

--------------------
God Bless America!

lscstk
¯
Member # 5788

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for lscstk  Ford pictures for lscstk  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can go to the site I recommended and talk to the guys over there. many have went that route, yes you won't get the full benifit of the of the 331, but in the future all you need to do is add maf conversion, no problem, 9 out of 10 folks once they start adding mods they don't stop , so you will have your base to start with, its a sickness.

--------------------
3.73 gears-MAC cover-Turbo mufs-1 5/8 header-GT40p heaeds-TFS valve kit-SVO-1.6RR-BBK cat x-pipeand CAI-Cobra Intake-65mmTB, upgraded sway bar F/R

lscstk
¯
Member # 5788

You can go to the site I recommended and talk to the guys over there. many have went that route, yes you won't get the full benifit of the of the 331, but in the future all you need to do is add maf conversion, no problem, 9 out of 10 folks once they start adding mods they don't stop , so you will have your base to start with, its a sickness.

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com