Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » I'm venting. i think I'm getting rid of my Cobra...

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: I'm venting. i think I'm getting rid of my Cobra...
03RedfireSVT
¯
Member # 10069

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03RedfireSVT  Ford pictures for 03RedfireSVT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So my 03 Cobra has always had this ridiculously heavy clutch pedal, like HEAVY...where you have to hold on to the steering wheel to push it in, been like that since I bought it. So I got used to it and let it go, well the clutch started slipping, and I got that replaced and all related components, thinking that would fix my heavy pedal issue also. Well it didn't, they told me it must be my pedal assembly because that's the only stock thing left that's related to the clutch, that's makes perfect sense, I am NOT blaming the shop. Well, in the meantime, my rear end is dead and my focus switched and I got that thing rebuilt. I'm keeping my eyes open for a pedal assembly and I order it off EBay but NOW...my pedal decides that, its gonna throw my adjustment on my quadrant off and now my clutch is engaging on the floor, and if that isn't enough, something snapped and my pedal is on the floor, LOOSE...as in, what do you know Kev...it's not the pedal assembly!!!

So...sorry for venting, but I'm tired of spending money on crap that keeps breaking when I drive like a normal human being, I couldve had my Whipple, etc by now. So ALL replies/feedback/advice/suggestions/OFFERS are openly accepted.

[ December 27, 2010, 09:09 PM: Message edited by: 03RedfireSVT ]

--------------------
03 Redfire Cobra
AED Tuned
468rwhp/494rwtq

04 Buell XB12S

Posts: 205 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jun 2010  |  :
93ReefBlue5.0
¯
Member # 5780

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93ReefBlue5.0  Ford pictures for 93ReefBlue5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
do you have a stock cable and what quadrant/adjuster are you using?
Posts: 1535 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  :
Rio1999GT
¯
Member # 9231

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rio1999GT  Ford pictures for Rio1999GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was always read and hear from everyone that stock clutch cable is best. Also the Fiore clutch adjuster kit is one of the best
dubfive-0
¯
Member # 8965

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for dubfive-0  Ford pictures for dubfive-0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
funny I had the same problem on my old GT and man I never really drove for the same reason until I sold it... no one could ever tell me what it was

plus I ripped like 7-8 clutch cables.... I know clutch cables they looked like if I had cut them & kragens didnt know what the hell everytime to get my warranty replacement [Wink]

[ December 27, 2010, 10:19 PM: Message edited by: dubfive-0 ]

--------------------
1966 FALCON futura (sports coupe)
1991 five-0

SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWSN95  Ford pictures for SLOWSN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dont sell the car because of a heavy pedal. Its your cable. Get a new one and problem solved. I'd recommend a stock replacement. Reason for the cable going out is because its a metal cable inside a Teflon housing. The angle of the cable gets so tight that it can cause a groove inside the cable and get caught up. I'd also get an aftermarket clutch quadrant because that will eventually break especially with an aftermarket (heavy-duty) clutch.

All of that is a piece of cake to do. If you're in the bay area at all I could do that for you.

Posts: 2214 | From: 510/east bay | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
nasty93
¯
Member # 8935

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nasty93  Ford pictures for nasty93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
could be much worse like a blown up motor or some shit like that.. these cars are made to be worked on.
Posts: 464 | From: windsor ,ca | Registered: Feb 2009  |  :
86turbocoupe
¯
Member # 10454

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 86turbocoupe  Ford pictures for 86turbocoupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I do concur with slowsn95. He's right. Just get an oem cable and make sure the ends are lubed with white lithium grease. Oem is the best bang for ur buck. Or a nice steeda unit. Hope I helped. O btw I know cus I had the problem in my 89 untill the taiwaneese pos snapped while doing a burn out /donuts lol swapped in an oem.. done deal=)

--------------------
89lxhatch-rip
81 4cylinder swap-rip
86coupe- F303 1.7 RR bored and carb'd 309 5 lug mach1 brakeS DD FR500S bbk longtubes o/r h-pipe

SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWSN95  Ford pictures for SLOWSN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
www.tousleyfordparts.com

Basically half priced OEM parts..
find your cable and get it

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

[ December 29, 2010, 01:41 AM: Message edited by: SLOWSN95 ]

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

tgarlock
¯
Member # 8645

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for tgarlock  Ford pictures for tgarlock    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
When I had my 04 cobra I had a very heavy pedal as well, it turned out that the fork wasn't seated all the way in, I fixed it by releasing the cable and hitting the end with a rubber mallet in order to fully seat it. I reassembled it and it was great.
Posts: 257 | From: Fremont, CA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  :
SPECIALTY15***MM PERFORMANCE***
¯
Member # 2978

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SPECIALTY15***MM PERFORMANCE***  Ford pictures for SPECIALTY15***MM PERFORMANCE***    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
SOUNDS LIKE A CABLE TO ME

--------------------
MM PERFORMANCE
916-993-9581

Posts: 861 | From: sacramento | Registered: Jun 2003  |  :
MauriSSio
¯
Member # 9943

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MauriSSio  Ford pictures for MauriSSio    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i seriously thought all 03 cobras were like that. My bros. is like that as well.
SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

quote:
Originally posted by MauriSSio:
i seriously thought all 03 cobras were like that. My bros. is like that as well.

Nope, no car should be like that. That is the reason why so many foxbodies have the "ghetto lean" in the driver seat. Sometimes the stiff clutch can also result in cracking the floorboard as well believe it or not.

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

86turbocoupe
¯
Member # 10454

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 86turbocoupe  Ford pictures for 86turbocoupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yup it broke the back brace in my seat from that

--------------------
89lxhatch-rip
81 4cylinder swap-rip
86coupe- F303 1.7 RR bored and carb'd 309 5 lug mach1 brakeS DD FR500S bbk longtubes o/r h-pipe

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think we've all been there.

Sometimes when it rains it pours and the car hobby can get expensive and time consuming.

Sometimes you just have to step away from it, focus on other things, and it can help put things in perspective.

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Luke87GT:
I think we've all been there.

Sometimes when it rains it pours and the car hobby can get expensive and time consuming.

Sometimes you just have to step away from it, focus on other things, and it can help put things in perspective.

+1 [patriot]

Perfect reason for a second car. [burnout]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
2T0NE
Go 49ers
Member # 4216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2T0NE  Ford pictures for 2T0NE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Perfect reason to sell it to me [Wink]

--------------------
Originally posted by x Raelsmar x:
Can't wait till the Giants lose tomorrow night so all you Giants fans are forced to shut the fuck up.

Posts: 14676 | From: 760 carlsbad | Registered: Mar 2004  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com