Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » alternator help?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: alternator help?
OneFastHatch.
¯
Member # 9537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for OneFastHatch.  Ford pictures for OneFastHatch.  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
so i got a notch and after i bought it the alternator went out replaced both battery and alternator still the car ran on the battery i checked my wiring harness to find near the cables for the alternator some jankky fixing. took it to ford to see whats up and to find out they cant really fix the problem. only clean it which made my alternator work. problem has occured again. what shall i do?

--------------------
1991 fobra (slow)

93coupessp
¯
Member # 8418

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93coupessp  Ford pictures for 93coupessp    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Get some new plugs for the alternator and rewire it use the same guage wire which I think it's two 10g positives off the alt plug and one 12g wire off the stator. They all run across the radiator support with the headlight wiring harness and all three wires hit fusible links before they all land on the positive side from the batt on the starter solenoid driverside fenderwell If that's not the problem either ur fusible links are blown or your 20amp alt fuse under the dash is blown that is the green/red wire on the alt controls the reg.

--------------------
89 gt project
09 f250 diesel 605hp
14 cts-v
13 harley fxdb 103ci

OneFastHatch.
¯
Member # 9537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for OneFastHatch.  Ford pictures for OneFastHatch.  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
how can i test for the fusible link? im not very good with electrical parts on 5.0s

--------------------
1991 fobra (slow)

93coupessp
¯
Member # 8418

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93coupessp  Ford pictures for 93coupessp    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just get a voltage tester and see if you have more than like 12.5 volts at the starter selenoid if u do the alt is working and no fusible links are blown

--------------------
89 gt project
09 f250 diesel 605hp
14 cts-v
13 harley fxdb 103ci

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com