Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » smog test results?? (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: smog test results??
quicksilver91
¯
Member # 9034

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for quicksilver91  Ford pictures for quicksilver91  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
can anyone help me with what i have to do to my car to get it to pass from the results of the smog test.

Thanks, Mike

http://yfrog.com/epscan0004ggj

[ August 24, 2010, 11:43 PM: Message edited by: quicksilver91 ]

Sydewayz_Stan
¯
Member # 10217

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sydewayz_Stan  Ford pictures for Sydewayz_Stan  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well...
hc could be high from incomplete combustion may need a tune-up (plugs, cap, rotor, wires)
nox could be high from bad egr system or smog pump system
and was the check engine light on?
might want to check the egr or o2 sensors for bad codes.
there is some stuff i'm missing someone else will fill in im sure.

--------------------
-90 Vert-SOLD
-91 Notch-SOLD
-2000 Explorer 5.0-SOLD
-72 Maverick-SOLD
-2004 GT, vortech V2 si, 10 psi-
-2002 F150 supercrew-

Posts: 3432 | From: 707 vallejo/richmond 510 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  :
quicksilver91
¯
Member # 9034

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for quicksilver91  Ford pictures for quicksilver91  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yes check engine light is on
quicksilver91
¯
Member # 9034

Thanks anyone else have any ideas??
copcar
¯
Member # 10113

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for copcar  Ford pictures for copcar    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You are going to have to find out the cause of the check engine light. EGR delete? O2's? Pull codes and post them.

--------------------
12.37@ 109.34.NA 894DA Old Nitto 555 DR's Gt40 irons. B cam/1.7's, All emissions equipment on the car, stock air box. UPR catted X pipe.

BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
can you post a biger pic
quicksilver91
¯
Member # 9034

You should be able to zoom i'm when u open it, I'll try to post a bigger one.
alexdel209
¯
Member # 9239

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for alexdel209  Ford pictures for alexdel209    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if you just wana pass smog a cat will do it the cat will cut down the nox and hc. if you want it to run clean and pass smog do o2 sensors and a cat
quicksilver91
¯
Member # 9034

It has a stock hpipe,I believe one of the cats are bad, so that may be a problem and I haven't checked the o2s yet.
alexdel209
¯
Member # 9239

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for alexdel209  Ford pictures for alexdel209    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah your nox is high because ur cats are weak ur hc could be from bda o2s and weak cats put new o2s on there and good cats ur garanteed pass
quicksilver91
¯
Member # 9034

I have a bassani x with high flowcats in good condition, I've heard that it will pass from ppl, but when I called bassani they said that it won't pass ca smog emissions is this true?? O2s will be next
Sydewayz_Stan
¯
Member # 10217

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sydewayz_Stan  Ford pictures for Sydewayz_Stan  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
it could be the cats, what led me to believe that you should check other things first is this:

1) cats are more expensive (unless you find a deal),
2) the carbon monoxide was in acceptable range which is the main gas that cats convert (i think),
3) bad cats dont cause a check engine light

like suggested above, find the source of the check engine light first, then move on from there, the fix for that might solve your problem.

--------------------
-90 Vert-SOLD
-91 Notch-SOLD
-2000 Explorer 5.0-SOLD
-72 Maverick-SOLD
-2002 F150 supercrew-

quicksilver91
¯
Member # 9034

And I do that by hooking up a scanner to it..??
Sydewayz_Stan
¯
Member # 10217

this may help:
diagnosing high emissions

--------------------
-90 Vert-SOLD
-91 Notch-SOLD
-2000 Explorer 5.0-SOLD
-72 Maverick-SOLD
-2002 F150 supercrew-

alexdel209
¯
Member # 9239

bad cats would cause i check engine light for cat efficincy. and yeah cats are most expensive but seeing how you are failing and are borderline nox and hc thats what its going to be
Sydewayz_Stan
¯
Member # 10217

yea either rent/borrow a scanner, or take it to a shop. i cant see it being that expensive for the shop to just TELL you what codes it is.

--------------------
-90 Vert-SOLD
-91 Notch-SOLD
-2000 Explorer 5.0-SOLD
-72 Maverick-SOLD
-2002 F150 supercrew-

quicksilver91
¯
Member # 9034

Ok thanks alot guys I appreciate the info! I'll let u know how it goes
alexdel209
¯
Member # 9239

yeah just take it to a smog shhop tell the you have a chel engine light they should sacan it for you because they want you to come back for the smog and let us know what they say. im just speaking from expirience because i smog about 20 cars a day
quicksilver91
¯
Member # 9034

Ok will do, do u know by any chance if the xpipe with high flow cats will work or should I just fix the bad cat on the stock hpipe?
alexdel209
¯
Member # 9239

it can work sometimes its just that the hi flow cats arent as good as factory cats so it could pass if everything else is good
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by quicksilver91:
Ok will do, do u know by any chance if the xpipe with high flow cats will work or should I just fix the bad cat on the stock hpipe?

Should pass the sniffer but may not pass visual if the dude looks under the car.
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
copcar
¯
Member # 10113

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for copcar  Ford pictures for copcar    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Mine passes flawlessly, actually cleaner than a stock car, with the UPR catted X pipe. Bad O2's will show a code, not cats. pick up a cheap scanner from the auto parts store. They are a good investment if you plan on keeping the car.

--------------------
12.37@ 109.34.NA 894DA Old Nitto 555 DR's Gt40 irons. B cam/1.7's, All emissions equipment on the car, stock air box. UPR catted X pipe.

90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90GT510  Ford pictures for 90GT510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
autozone checks it for free
Posts: 1725 | From: East Bay/Dallas, TX | Registered: May 2009  |  :
SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWSN95  Ford pictures for SLOWSN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 90GT510:
autozone checks it for free

Auto stores legally are not allowed to check for codes unless there is an auto shop connected (ie: Pep Boys).

Definitely figure out whats wrong with the MIL and go from there. If you want to lower some emissions for when you smog again, you can throw some 91 octane in the tank, and right before you smog, drive on the freeway for about 10-15 miles, and just rev your car in neutral at about 3k rpms for a few minutes. The increased exhaust heat will help your cats work more efficiently.

Posts: 2214 | From: 510/east bay | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
Secnd2nun64
¯
Member # 1431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Secnd2nun64  Ford pictures for Secnd2nun64    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Here's something else you may want to look into. The state will help pay for repairs up to $500 if you can qualify. That should at least cover a diagnostic.

http://www.autorepair.ca.gov/80_BARResources/01_CAP&GoldShield/Factsheets/Website%20CAP%20FAQs.pdf

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com