Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Poor gas mileage!?!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Poor gas mileage!?!
SikWiditMke
¯
Member # 9699

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SikWiditMke  Ford pictures for SikWiditMke    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I don't understand, my car is basically stock minus a e-cam eddy intake,Mac cold air, shortys, and 3:73 gears.. Timing is set at 13. And tune up was recently done with new plugs, wires, cap and rotor, fuel filter, and cleaning of IAC and thottle body, and adjustment of tps sensor with a base idle reset. Previous owner has blocked off EGR coolant port.

And the only issue the car has is cold starts every morning. It's hunts for idle or sometimes stall until warmed up. I don't drive ignorant on the streets, just crusing. My drive consist of highway and streets. And I get about 200 to a full tank! Its killing me in the wallet. It has a "superchip" previous owner has installed and you guys have said to take it out!? Is there a process of doing this?

--------------------
90 GT *sold*
92 GT *sold*
90 Notchback *wrecked and sold*
93 Ex-CHP notchback *Daily driver*

Posts: 558 | From: El Sobrante/Vallejo | Registered: Jan 2010  |  :
90_STANG015
¯
Member # 8990

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90_STANG015  Ford pictures for 90_STANG015    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
mine is completely stock down to the air box. 5 speed with borla mufflers.... i drive streets and highways an i get about 200 to a tank. how do you dirve you car?fast, slow?

--------------------
RAIDER NATION

1990 GT (SOLD)
1988 LX DROP (SOLD)
1989 4 cyl Coupe (sold)
1998 SVT COBRA (SOLD)
1992 LX DROP
1994 GT
1995 Impala SS

SikWiditMke
¯
Member # 9699

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SikWiditMke  Ford pictures for SikWiditMke    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Driving it very considerate. On the streets I shift at 2500 getting it thru the gears always going the speed limit and on highway I'll always be driving at 65mph..

--------------------
90 GT *sold*
92 GT *sold*

66_5.0
¯
Member # 9974

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66_5.0  Ford pictures for 66_5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Mine gets like 150 to a tank..
All about ur driving

--------------------
1966 Mustang

SikWiditMke
¯
Member # 9699

I guess this is something I'm gonna have to live with... Just one of those things in owning a muscle car!!

--------------------
90 GT *sold*
92 GT *sold*

89 306
¯
Member # 9042

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89 306  Ford pictures for 89 306    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Wow that's some poor gas milage. I got a built 306 h/c/i nd I get 200 to a full tank som times a lil more wen I driv normally

--------------------
02 mustang gt...mods soon to come!

89 lx: 306. edelbrock. heads..ported gt 40 manifolds..and all that other good stuff.

------------------
The ant-ghetto sign is no joke. Degrade this forum with ghetto behavior and get the boot. Ghetto behavior such as street slang, no regard for education (spelling & grammar) and threatening others with violence has no place on CAFords.com. Please find another forum to demonstrate such behavior.

SikWiditMke
¯
Member # 9699

Dammit I knew something was wrong lol... Maybe I should ditch the stupid superchip on the ECM .. Then redo everything as in timing an idle stuff... Or should I take it aomewhere to get looked at?

--------------------
90 GT *sold*
92 GT *sold*

SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWSN95  Ford pictures for SLOWSN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
To me personally, I dont think there is anything wrong. When I used to have my hatch that had a 306 and an E cam, I used to get about 200 miles to the tank on mixed street and highway driving, 150 just on city driving.

If I were you, I'd pull some spark plugs and see how they look. If the prongs look black, that means you're running rich, white means lean and brown means you have a pretty good air/fuel mixture.

Posts: 2214 | From: 510/east bay | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
SikWiditMke
¯
Member # 9699

To me personally, I dont think there is anything wrong. When I used to have my hatch that had a 306 and an E cam, I used to get about 200 miles to the tank on mixed street and highway driving, 150 just on city driving.

If I were you, I'd pull some spark plugs and see how they look. If the prongs look black, that means you're running rich, white means lean and brown means you have a pretty good air/fuel mixture.

First thing I'm gonna do tomorrow is look at the plugs an then we shall go from there!!

--------------------
90 GT *sold*
92 GT *sold*

SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWSN95  Ford pictures for SLOWSN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Alright...hope everything goes well! [patriot]

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

Posts: 2214 | From: 510/east bay | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
Roman
¯
Member # 9945

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roman  Ford pictures for Roman  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
im lucky to get 160 170 before filling up.
SikWiditMke
¯
Member # 9699

Would exhaust leak cause bad gas mileage? Just left work and noticed I have a ticking sound on acceleration.. Same ticking sound I had a month ago but worst!?!

--------------------
90 GT *sold*
92 GT *sold*

5.7L EATER
¯
Member # 9451

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.7L EATER  Ford pictures for 5.7L EATER  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If the exhaust leak is before the o2 sensor then yes

--------------------
Trickflow hurst with the nitrous burst makes the sport coupe fly and the chevy boyz cry

SikWiditMke
¯
Member # 9699

Then that shit must be the culprit... The collectors don't have gaskets right? Just needs a good tightening hopefully

--------------------
90 GT *sold*
92 GT *sold*

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SikWiditMke:
The collectors don't have gaskets right?

Correct. Save yourself the hassle and do it right the first time though...remove the H/X pipe, clean the ball and sockets with 280 grit sandpaper, and apply a light coating of high temp sealant. You'll thank yourself with a leak-less system.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
SikWiditMke
¯
Member # 9699

This is a project I'm going to hit this weekend... Thanks johnB for the tip.. What kind of header gasket do you recommend? Right now it has some aluminum gaskets that previous owner put on.. Any good ones out there that wouldn't blow out? Headers are bbl shortys?

--------------------
90 GT *sold*
92 GT *sold*

SikWiditMke
¯
Member # 9699

Anybody have recommendations on some good header gaskets?

--------------------
90 GT *sold*
92 GT *sold*

Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
remflex is the finale answer for a good header gasket period
svfreerider87
¯
Member # 5748

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for svfreerider87  Ford pictures for svfreerider87  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i had the thick copper ones made by mr gasket, ended my exhaust leak problem once and for all.

--------------------
Dreamspeed Motorsports

Posts: 1685 | From: Sunnyvale | Registered: Jun 2005  |  :
SikWiditMke
¯
Member # 9699

posted July 08, 2010 12:27 PM                        
remflex is the finale answer for a good header gasket period
svfreerider87
¯
Member # 5748

posted July 08, 2010 12:59 PM                           
i had the thick copper ones made by mr gasket, ended my exhaust leak problem once and for all.

--------------------
Dreamspeed Motorsports
Posts: 1264 | From: Sunnyvale | Registered: Jun 2005  |  :

Where can I purchase these gaskets? Is it a online only item?

--------------------
90 GT *sold*
92 GT *sold*

Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ive had many problems with the copper ones, in many different ways. john at ljs in napa has the remflex ones.im sure u can get them somewhere else but not sure where, this is his number call him and pick some up. oh and by the way the remflex ones wont let the exaust bolts get loose and fall out either.ive never had any bolts fall out or any other problems on over fifty sets of this type of gasket. they are 45 bucks tho

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com