Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » STARTER STICKS WHILE ON

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: STARTER STICKS WHILE ON
5.0 CGS
¯
Member # 9567

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0 CGS  Ford pictures for 5.0 CGS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
SAME POSTING AS BEFORE THEN AGAIN SAME PROBLEM AS BEFORE MY 91 AUTO MUSTANG KEEPS STICKIN THE STARTER WHEN I CRANK AND ITS ON THE WEIRD THING THO IS WHEN I JUMP START IT BY THE STARTER SOLENOID IT STARTS FINE AND DOESNT STICK SO FOR RIGHT IM STARTING IT THROUGH SOLENOID BUT I NEED TO FIGURE OUT THE PROBLEM

CAN ANY ONE GIVE ME SOME INSIGHT MAYBE SOMEONE HAS BEEN THRU THE SAME PROB.

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ADVICE

--------------------
TEAM CGS

Stan G
¯
Member # 6226

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stan G  Ford pictures for Stan G    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just had the same problem and took my solenoid apart .

I found the relay inside the solenoid was sticking.

Napa had a replacement solenoid for ~ 20 .

--------------------
1985 RX-7, 347/T-5 , T/F T/W heads, typhoon intake, Tfs2 cam, pulleys, 2500 lbs .
3.63 rear gears , Megasquirt

Posts: 105 | From: Sun Coast , Florida | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
5.0 CGS
¯
Member # 9567

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0 CGS  Ford pictures for 5.0 CGS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i dont kno bro because i replaced that too and didnt seem to work or do you think maybe the brand has to do with it maybe non factory solenoids have weaker relays

--------------------
TEAM CGS

Stan G
¯
Member # 6226

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stan G  Ford pictures for Stan G    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just saw your other post... so you replaced the solenoid already..

Only thing you didn't replace was the battery and ground wires.

weak cables causes excess current and that can do weird stuff.

check if there is voltage on the solenoid magnet ./ starter lead ( the smaller wire ) with the ignition in the on position .

(I cant remember if it turns on by grounding or +12v)

[ June 24, 2010, 12:05 AM: Message edited by: Stan G ]

--------------------
1985 RX-7, 347/T-5 , T/F T/W heads, typhoon intake, Tfs2 cam, pulleys, 2500 lbs .
3.63 rear gears , Megasquirt

Posts: 105 | From: Sun Coast , Florida | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
5.0 CGS
¯
Member # 9567

well battery is new duralast but havent check ground wires so ill give a check tho

--------------------
TEAM CGS

SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Find a voltmeter and a friend.

If you have a stock starter: Remove the solenoid wire from the starter solenoid (the wire on the thin lug). Measure the voltage on wire using the voltmeter. It should be 0 volts. Have a friend turn the ignition key to the crank position and hold it there. The engine will not crank because the wire is disconnected from the solenoid. Measure the voltage. It should be ~12 volts. Have him release the key from the start position. The wire should go back to 0 volts. Try it a few times. If it works reliably, more likely the starter is the problem. Maybe the bendix, the internal part that pulls the starter gear back away from the flywheel is getting stuck.

If you still see 12 volts even after releasing the ignition key from the crank position, then it's a wiring problem between the ignition key and the starter solenoid.

If you don't have a voltmeter: Leave the solenoid wire that connects to the thin lug on the solenoid (ie don't disconnect it). Disconnect the heavy gauge wire on the starter solenoid that goes to the starter. Try turning the ignition key to the start position. You should hear the solenoid click in when the key is held in the start position and click off immediately after you release the key.

If you have one of those mini-starters, it's probably wired wrong.

Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
5.0 CGS
¯
Member # 9567

well i dont think it is my starter beacause i have another 5.0 and i changed the other 5.0s starter to the auto one and it still did the same thing. but i think youre right on the wiring or somewhere between ignition switch and solenoid because when i jump start from solenoid the starter dont stick but when i do it from switch it sticks and already replaced the igition cylinder so somewhere after that its stickting

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com