Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » NEED HELP ASAP!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: NEED HELP ASAP!
Pure Stang
¯
Member # 7251

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pure Stang  Ford pictures for Pure Stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok i got my rockers on and adjusted to what i was told to. The car is cranking over but slow. Battery is fully charged. I was told that i may be missing a ground wire? i do not remeber taking off a ground wire when i was taking off my manifold's. does anyone know of a ground wire that attaches to the intake manifold? or got an idea on what it could be? this shit pissing me off and im close to call it quits and part this bitch out. more trouble than what its worth. Any help would be great!!!

--------------------
HEART BREAKER

R.I.P Willie Guzman (5ltrsvt) you will be missed brother.
04/24/87 - 11/23/2012

90 lx 347 RIP
86 gt
89 lx- next project

Pure Stang
¯
Member # 7251

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pure Stang  Ford pictures for Pure Stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
and for the people that dont know it is a 90 5.0

--------------------
HEART BREAKER

04/24/87 - 11/23/2012

90 lx 347 RIP
86 gt
89 lx- next project

Secnd2nun64
¯
Member # 1431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Secnd2nun64  Ford pictures for Secnd2nun64    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The battery may be bad under load. Try swapping it out with another cars battery. Also clean your connections.
Pure Stang
¯
Member # 7251

already replaced it. same deal. cranks slow and the sound of the cranking does not sound normal

--------------------
HEART BREAKER

04/24/87 - 11/23/2012

90 lx 347 RIP
86 gt
89 lx- next project

Pure Stang
¯
Member # 7251

what happens if rockerrs are too tight?

--------------------
HEART BREAKER

04/24/87 - 11/23/2012

90 lx 347 RIP
86 gt
89 lx- next project

blown95svt
¯
Member # 8893

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for blown95svt  Ford pictures for blown95svt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If they were too tight it would crank faster, do to the loss of compression.

--------------------
95 cobra blown 331 gr40 suspension
***NEED QUALITY WORK FOR HALF THE PRICE? I DO SIDE JOBS! PM FOR DETAILS***
www.norcalmotorcompany.com

Posts: 1434 | From: roseville | Registered: Jan 2009  |  :
Pure Stang
¯
Member # 7251

k thx. it cranks slow but there is barley and compression. maybe because its cranking to slow? before the rockers the car ran.

--------------------
HEART BREAKER

04/24/87 - 11/23/2012

90 lx 347 RIP
86 gt
89 lx- next project

SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Does it crank fine without the spark plugs installed? If yes, then it's probably in the valvetrain setup. If it still doesn't crank with no plugs installed, it's something in the starter circuit.
Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
Secnd2nun64
¯
Member # 1431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Secnd2nun64  Ford pictures for Secnd2nun64    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Pull the valve covers and have someone crank it while you watch the valves operate. Make sure they are all going up and down. Have plenty of rags available so you dont squirt oil everywhere.

Maybe you should reajust the valves while your at it. Adjust them following the firing order to zero lash then 1/4 turn.

Pure Stang
¯
Member # 7251

been working on this thing all day. i think Its the valves not adjusted correctly. i loosened them up a little to see if it would crank over differently and definitly cranked over better. tomorrow im going to adjust them again and if i can get it running right.

--------------------
HEART BREAKER

04/24/87 - 11/23/2012

90 lx 347 RIP
86 gt
89 lx- next project

Secnd2nun64
¯
Member # 1431

Weird. Did you have them so tight that you were binding the valve springs? Better check your pushrods to make sure they are still straight.
Pure Stang
¯
Member # 7251

checked the push rods they look fine. im done working on this car. dont have the patience or the time. thx peeps for the help [patriot]

--------------------
HEART BREAKER

04/24/87 - 11/23/2012

90 lx 347 RIP
86 gt
89 lx- next project

i_am_handles
¯
Member # 6344

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for i_am_handles  Ford pictures for i_am_handles    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
might be the starter.. could need a better starter

--------------------
chevy driver but ill drive a coupe

Posts: 128 | From: middle of a intersection | Registered: Dec 2005  |  :
Stan G
¯
Member # 6226

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stan G  Ford pictures for Stan G    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Take a break ..

You can check your grounding easily by taking 1 jumper cable and run it from the negative bat terminal to the block.

--------------------
1985 RX-7, 347/T-5 , T/F T/W heads, typhoon intake, Tfs2 cam, pulleys, 2500 lbs .
3.63 rear gears , Megasquirt

Posts: 105 | From: Sun Coast , Florida | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1SLOWLX  Ford pictures for 1SLOWLX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
No point in giving up your to close to being done with it.

--------------------
Built Tuff with your stuff ;)

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com