Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » I'm getting code 96 (1988 5.0) what should I check

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: I'm getting code 96 (1988 5.0) what should I check
street_illegal_stang
¯
Member # 1554

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for street_illegal_stang  Ford pictures for street_illegal_stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just got my car back on the road after rebuilding the engine. I have less than 250 miles since rebuilt. ran the codes and got 96.

code 96- thermactor air system problem -right(passenger)side air flow will not bypass .or fuel pump (fp) circuit failure. or high speed fuel pump relay circuit failure.

the car has no cylinder head cross over tube for smog. it runs okay, but almost seems like it has a slight miss or something.

What should I check first?

Posts: 1276 | From: Long Beach C.A | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
street_illegal_stang
¯
Member # 1554

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for street_illegal_stang  Ford pictures for street_illegal_stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[Confused]
street_illegal_stang
¯
Member # 1554

nothing?

Today I was on the freeway passing a car in 4th gear under load-wot... felt like it was down on power/ loosing power as rpms climbed.
[Confused]

Stan G
¯
Member # 6226

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stan G  Ford pictures for Stan G    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
according to
http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/index.php?p=48

Code 96 is :

Fuel pump secondary circuit failure. The EEC did not sense battery voltage on the Fuel Pump Monitor circuit.

My car ran fine with the same code.

So if your fuel pump is working, I think you have to look elsewhere for you problem.

Pull the codes again and see what you get now.

Are your cats and the air diverter valve still there ?

Lack of proper air control to the cats will cause them to clog up.

--------------------
1985 RX-7, 347/T-5 , T/F T/W heads, typhoon intake, Tfs2 cam, pulleys, 2500 lbs .
3.63 rear gears , Megasquirt

Posts: 105 | From: Sun Coast , Florida | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
street_illegal_stang
¯
Member # 1554

quote:
Originally posted by Stan G:
according to
http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/index.php?p=48

Code 96 is :

Fuel pump secondary circuit failure. The EEC did not sense battery voltage on the Fuel Pump Monitor circuit.

My car ran fine with the same code.

So if your fuel pump is working, I think you have to look elsewhere for you problem.

Pull the codes again and see what you get now.

Are your cats and the air diverter valve still there ?

Lack of proper air control to the cats will cause them to clog up.

the cats and the air diverter valve not there.
The battery was disconnected for a day, reconnected it then drove it on the freeway. Ran the codes and I'm still getting the say code 96
and it runs okay but seems surge underload above 3000rpm . thank for replying the info Stan G

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com