Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » i think my oil pump went out.. help

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: i think my oil pump went out.. help
i_am_handles
¯
Member # 6344

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for i_am_handles  Ford pictures for i_am_handles    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i was driving the other day in my 88 coupe and my car started knocking i shut it off and then i went to start it again and it would run but it sounded and felt like iot was getting no oil to pistons.. help me out. what could it be? any ideas please feel free to post.. i apreciate it.. and is it hard to fix wats easiest way?

--------------------
chevy driver but ill drive a coupe

Posts: 128 | From: middle of a intersection | Registered: Dec 2005  |  :
Notch_notch
¯
Member # 8902

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Notch_notch  Ford pictures for Notch_notch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
samething on my coupe.. my rockers making noise sound like no oil... i have to pull out the engine out and remove the oil pan.. buy oil pump and one piece oil pan gasket.. it easy..

--------------------
How many fake accounts does one need? Make a fake account, get the ban. It's in the rules.

90FoX
FoX
Member # 1974

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90FoX  Ford pictures for 90FoX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Do 88 stangs have a oil pressure gauge in the instrument cluster? Check that if you have one. If it's all the way down you probably lost your oil pump. Or the sending unit could be bad. [Confused]
Posts: 5364 | From: Shooting Skeet | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Go buy a cheap mechanical oil pressure gauge at Kragens and hook it up. If you got oil pressure, it's not the pump.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
oil pumps don't "go out"

something else is wrong, drain the oil, pull the oil filter, cut it apart, and use a magnet to check it out for metal...

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
oil pumps don't "go out"

I've had one go out. The tolerances between the rotors and pump body got too loose and it just wouldn't build pressure once the oil got hot. At a cold start I'd have 40psi and once the engine got up to temp, I'd have 0psi at idle and 10psi at 2000rpm. I replaced the pump with a new one and never had a problem again.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
90FoX
FoX
Member # 1974

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90FoX  Ford pictures for 90FoX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by wilit:
quote:
oil pumps don't "go out"

I've had one go out. The tolerances between the rotors and pump body got too loose and it just wouldn't build pressure once the oil got hot. At a cold start I'd have 40psi and once the engine got up to temp, I'd have 0psi at idle and 10psi at 2000rpm. I replaced the pump with a new one and never had a problem again.
+1 My oil pump seized on me. The oil pump drive shaft ended up twisted like a staircase and snapped. Found it at the bottom of the oil pan

[ June 09, 2010, 04:35 AM: Message edited by: 90FoX ]

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 90FoX:
quote:
quote:
oil pumps don't "go out"

+1 My oil pump seized on me. The oil pump drive shaft ended up twisted like a staircase and snapped. Found it at the bottom of the oil pan
something else caused both of those failures.

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
oil pumps don't "go out"

And what would that be? Regardless of what caused the pumps to fail, the fact remains, oil pumps do "go out".

[ June 09, 2010, 01:36 PM: Message edited by: wilit ]

--------------------

90FoX
FoX
Member # 1974

I agree with wilit, we aren't arguing the cause of the pump failure. We're just saying oil pumps do fail. Whether that be because of an external issue or a problem with the pump is another issue. haha
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
oil pumps don't "go out"

And what would that be? Regardless of what caused the pumps to fail, the fact remains, oil pumps do "go out".
and the replacement will go out also unless the cause was resolved, usually pumps fail because of shit getting sucked up into them, or they run hot and seize up because the pickup tube screen gets blocked, etc.

kind of like resetting the CEL light - it's just going to come back unless you fixed the cause.

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

90FoX
FoX
Member # 1974

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
oil pumps don't "go out"

and the replacement will go out also unless the cause was resolved, usually pumps fail because of shit getting sucked up into them, or they run hot and seize up because the pickup tube screen gets blocked, etc.

kind of like resetting the CEL light - it's just going to come back unless you fixed the cause.

touche [Wink] Lucky for me, since I replaced mine it hasn't gone out. Either the cause is very slowly developing or I lucked out.
turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Anything mechanical can fail. An oil pump is just that, a pump. To say they dont fail is incorrect.

I think what BLIND is trying to get at is that he has probably never seen an oil pump fail on a mustang 5.0 (302) and neither have I.

It is always something else that causes the oil pressure issues and if the oil pumps DO fail you usually find pieces of rocker arm bearings or blocked pick up screens etc as he indicated.

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

quote:
Originally posted by turbo50:
Anything mechanical can fail. An oil pump is just that, a pump. To say they dont fail is incorrect.

I think what BLIND is trying to get at is that he has probably never seen an oil pump fail on a mustang 5.0 (302) and neither have I.

It is always something else that causes the oil pressure issues and if the oil pumps DO fail you usually find pieces of rocker arm bearings or blocked pick up screens etc as he indicated.

In the case of my failure, it was age. It was an original pump in a '68 302. I pulled it apart and checked it and there wasn't any marring or trash in the pan, pickup, or pump. I measured the rotors and checked it against the specs and they were way out. I replaced it, and put another 5k miles on it before selling the car. Never had any problems after replacing the pump.

[ June 09, 2010, 06:09 PM: Message edited by: wilit ]

--------------------

turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by turbo50:

In the case of my failure, it was age. It was an original pump in a '68 302. I pulled it apart and checked it and there wasn't any marring or trash in the pan, pickup, or pump. I measured the rotors and checked it against the specs and they were way out. I replaced it, and put another 5k miles on it before selling the car. Never had any problems after replacing the pump.
Cant argue with that. Ive just never personally pulled apart a 40 year old oil pump but it is mechanical and probably went out of tolerance.

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
i_am_handles
¯
Member # 6344

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for i_am_handles  Ford pictures for i_am_handles    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thanks everyone ur right its the oil pump. the rockers were type writin. but the oil pressure was down super low

--------------------
chevy driver but ill drive a coupe

Posts: 128 | From: middle of a intersection | Registered: Dec 2005  |  :
asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had a pump lock up on me and twist the drive. The pump was a Melling HV and was less than a year old. I pulled it and took it apart, there was a tiny chunk of metal that looked like a half of a thread stuck between the gears. I cleaned the pump up, put it back in with a new drive and it kept going like a champ for many years, I actually think its still in my buddies 71 Mustang to this day.

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
87TURBO
¯
Member # 9257

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87TURBO  Ford pictures for 87TURBO    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by dipped50707:
i was driving the other day in my 88 coupe and my car started knocking i shut it off and then i went to start it again and it would run but it sounded and felt like iot was getting no oil to pistons.. help me out. what could it be? any ideas please feel free to post.. i apreciate it.. and is it hard to fix wats easiest way?

take off passenger valve cover and turn it on and see if it trows oil

--------------------
turbo people

Posts: 403 | From: modesto/sanjose | Registered: Jun 2009  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com