Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » crossover tube on gt40 heads

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: crossover tube on gt40 heads
87 4spd GT
¯
Member # 9216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87 4spd GT  Ford pictures for 87 4spd GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So its time for me to put the new heads on my car which are Gt40's with a 43z3 aa casting and the 3 vertical bars on the front. Now my question is do I need to install the crossover tube in the back of the heads to be able to pass smog or is there a trick that everyone is doing to pass. I dont want to have any problems when I have to smog the car in the next couple of months.........

Once again all your help is appreciated......

--------------------
Putting a 'Playboy' brand g-string on your 'ol lady does not make her a Playmate

87 4spd GT
¯
Member # 9216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87 4spd GT  Ford pictures for 87 4spd GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
anyone.......?

--------------------
Putting a 'Playboy' brand g-string on your 'ol lady does not make her a Playmate

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Didn't your old heads have the cross over tube installed as part of the smog equipment?

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
87 4spd GT
¯
Member # 9216

yes it did but with the new heads there is the hole for the gases to exit into the crossover tube, but there is no holes for the tube to bolt up to it.......  -

[ April 25, 2010, 10:03 PM: Message edited by: 87 4spd GT ]

--------------------

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What's the casting number again? 43z3 is not right. Is it F3ZE-AA?

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
TubeSteakJohnson
¯
Member # 8967

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TubeSteakJohnson  Ford pictures for TubeSteakJohnson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The same question is posted up on The corral and Mustang forums with the same response from there too. Will not pass smog. Goodluck [patriot]
1FAST89GT
¯
Member # 5071

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1FAST89GT  Ford pictures for 1FAST89GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
take a pic of the other side of the head
Notch_notch
¯
Member # 8902

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Notch_notch  Ford pictures for Notch_notch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
take more picture both heads and we will explain... [Wink]

--------------------
How many fake accounts does one need? Make a fake account, get the ban. It's in the rules.

87 4spd GT
¯
Member # 9216

They look the same on all sides for both heads,  -

-

-

--------------------

87 4spd GT
¯
Member # 9216

Okay so after getting out and looking at these heads and my old ones I can clearly tell the difference in them....

Now correct me if I am wrong in my analogy. The thermactor system works as fresh air being delivered from the pump into the back of the heads from there it goes into the exhaust ports to be expelled out the exhaust. Fresh air mixed in makes for a cleaner exhaust. Correct?

Now I know the casting of these heads "F3ZE" are not smog legal for CA standards for not having the holes in the rear of the heads. Now I hear of guys telling stories about passing the sniffer with their o/r H or X on. So it is possible to pass the sniffer with these heads and more of just a way to make the thermactor setup look functional, since the downtube would still be setup supplying some air down the exhaust?

--------------------

phil a
¯
Member # 6951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phil a  Ford pictures for phil a    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It should pass the sniffer w/o the crossover tube, all else being equal. I would not count on it passing visual, as sometimes the refs can be pretty anal about things.
Posts: 1261 | From: toledo oh | Registered: Jul 2006  |  :
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

quote:
Originally posted by phil a:
It should pass the sniffer w/o the crossover tube, all else being equal. I would not count on it passing visual, as sometimes the refs can be pretty anal about things.

Yep, it'll probably pass the sniffer, but not visual.

--------------------

CAStang
¯
Member # 9568

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CAStang  Ford pictures for CAStang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It will pass the sniffer, it's the visual you need to worry about. As a matter of fact, I passed the sniffer last week with hollowed out cats. Go figure....
Posts: 351 | From: Santa Clara | Registered: Nov 2009  |  :
87 4spd GT
¯
Member # 9216

Thanks for all the responses. I figured it might not have any problems on the sniffer, but problems with the visuals always arise. They tried failing me once for my BBK CAI. But thats the same with everyone. So I am going to try and fab the crossover tube somehow to look functional.

Will let ya know. Thanks for the help.....

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com