Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Dumps or tails!! (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Dumps or tails!!
SikWiditMke
¯
Member # 9699

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SikWiditMke  Ford pictures for SikWiditMke    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm asking for just some personal inputs! my tailpipes hang low due to broken hangers! Was thinking of just cutting them right after they hump over the rear end! kind of like drift patrols exhaust( shown in the pics on his recent post) or right after the mufflers. My setup is bbk shorties bassani catted xpipe and 40 series flows! Any input on sound and personal experience is appreciated! looking to tackle this tomorrow. Thanks

--------------------
90 GT *sold*
92 GT *sold*
90 Notchback *wrecked and sold*
93 Ex-CHP notchback *Daily driver*

Posts: 558 | From: El Sobrante/Vallejo | Registered: Jan 2010  |  :
Shabbyblue
¯
Member # 9132

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shabbyblue  Ford pictures for Shabbyblue    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I love dumps. They give the car a deeper tone and you lose some weight. I had flows with tailpipes and was not happy with the sound the muffler shop then said they could be turn-downs on the car and it sounded a lot better. I wouldn't but turn-downs on a LX though because they don't look right without tailpipes.

--------------------
Shawn Green

SikWiditMke
¯
Member # 9699

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SikWiditMke  Ford pictures for SikWiditMke    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I love dumps. They give the car a deeper tone and you lose some weight. I had flows with tailpipes and was not happy with the sound the muffler shop then said they could be turn-downs on the car and it sounded a lot better. I wouldn't but turn-downs on a LX though because they don't look right without tailpipes.

--------------------
Shawn Green

Hey bro I appreciate your input, did ubhave them dumped rite at the mufflers? And were your turndowns at a angle or straight down? Also any fumes from having dumps! Oh yea and I agree an lx won't look just rite. Good thing I got a gt thanks

--------------------
90 GT *sold*
92 GT *sold*

Shabbyblue
¯
Member # 9132

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shabbyblue  Ford pictures for Shabbyblue    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had them going straight down no fumes. I have had them on two cars. If they are down right you shouldn't have any fumes, as long as the tips are going toward the ground, but a lot of people say that they smell fumes when they get turndowns. So,either I can't smell are the person that installs mine knows what they are doing. You should be fine though as long as they are facing down toward the ground. The smog guys don't like going under the ground trying to find them though.

--------------------
Shawn Green

Shabbyblue
¯
Member # 9132

The tips extend a little at the muffler and then go down. So, yeah they are basically at the muffler.

--------------------
Shawn Green

SikWiditMke
¯
Member # 9699

Seems like a plan!! For smog is it required to have pipes, reason I ask is cuhz smog an registration is due! they only need a smog test only! Cuhz if so then I guess I mite have to hold it off!

--------------------
90 GT *sold*
92 GT *sold*

Shabbyblue
¯
Member # 9132

They'll smog it. They only people that won't are the real strict ones, but you have to go a little ways under the car to put the pipes on. Just tell them you were in an accident are something and the pipes fell off. They might go for that, but most of shops will pass as long as you have cats and are not running long tube headers.

--------------------
Shawn Green

SikWiditMke
¯
Member # 9699

Cooo thanks bro u have been a great help!! I'm gonna tackle this job tomorrow and ill tell you how it goes

--------------------
90 GT *sold*
92 GT *sold*

STANGBOY
¯
Member # 7868

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for STANGBOY  Ford pictures for STANGBOY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
tailpipes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,with dumps u just get a deep rumble sound and with the tail pipes u get more tone to it

--------------------
1986 mustang notchback

she's good from far but far from good

BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Shabbyblue:
They'll smog it. They only people that won't are the real strict ones, but you have to go a little ways under the car to put the pipes on. Just tell them you were in an accident are something and the pipes fell off. They might go for that, but most of shops will pass as long as you have cats and are not running long tube headers.

mufflers an tail pipes are not part of the smog program the don't have to be on there for a smog test.but being a smog tech if a cars come in with dumps i will go over it with fine tooth comb
84SVOrick
¯
Member # 9039

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 84SVOrick  Ford pictures for 84SVOrick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Get tail pipes. Had dumps for a year and i hated all of the unnecessary noise, fumes depend on ur cars condition of door seals etc. Go to mustangexhaust.com to hear different sounds or try youtube.com. dont do dumps.

--------------------
Bay Area Stunnaz
RIP Jeannera "FOXY302"
10/29/87-10/9/10
1984 SVO 302 HCI a basic bitch
1986 GT FOXY302 stolen and totaled R.I.P.

Posts: 1928 | From: Vallejo CA | Registered: Mar 2009  |  :
SikWiditMke
¯
Member # 9699

So i tackeled it today and cut the pipes so that they dump right after the hump over the rear-end!! the sound is mediocore!! maybe its because i have a bassani catted x-pipe! but this is only going to be temporary. Gonna order some new mufflers and take it the shop and have them put new pipes! Any recomendations?
Im gonna post a video of how it sounds now once i figure how to?

--------------------
90 GT *sold*
92 GT *sold*

Shabbyblue
¯
Member # 9132

Get a H-pipe with cats and flows and it will be loud. That is what I had but it was to loud for me. If you have the "friendly smog" get a off road h-pipe with 40 seriers flow and dumps. It will sound like a big block from the 70's. I now have Borlas and it is ot a lot quiter. I guess you have to find out what sound you want. You will probably get people that will say they like both.

--------------------
Shawn Green

SikWiditMke
¯
Member # 9699

I had an off road H-pipe before! it was just 3 months ago when i met some dude that wanted a straight trade for the bassani-x. i just couldnt stand the fumes with the o/r. I loved the sound when i had the o/r. Now with the bassani the exhaust has quieted down alot!! In a couple months gonna redo the whole exhaust! O/R X with Flowmaster Delta series and Tails. I want to put a video on how it sounds now!! ill post a link for youtube in a bit!

--------------------
90 GT *sold*
92 GT *sold*

Ryan_LX
¯
Member # 7089

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryan_LX  Ford pictures for Ryan_LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB

[ March 03, 2010, 01:38 AM: Message edited by: RyanM... ]

--------------------
Jesus is king!

Ryan_LX
¯
Member # 7089

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryan_LX  Ford pictures for Ryan_LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
+1 for tailpipes, sound way better, and dumps get annoying in the car IMO. Dumps also attract to much unwanted attention. Just sayin [Big Grin]

Get some spintech pro-streets, just ordered some and they sound f'n nasty way better then flows(I had had 40 series flows b4) [patriot]

[ March 02, 2010, 12:38 AM: Message edited by: RyanM... ]

--------------------
Jesus is king!

SikWiditMke
¯
Member # 9699

Dang bro im pretty shure those spintech sound dope!! i was looking towards some dynomax race bullets!! people argue there glasspacks but in truth there a straight thru muffler!! what kind of mid-pipe u running!

--------------------
90 GT *sold*
92 GT *sold*

FOURPOINTSIX
¯
Member # 8302

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FOURPOINTSIX  Ford pictures for FOURPOINTSIX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by fasthatch:
quote:
Originally posted by Shabbyblue:

mufflers an tail pipes are not part of the smog program the don't have to be on there for a smog test.but being a smog tech if a cars come in with dumps i will go over it with fine tooth comb
YEAH I HAD MY BITCH SMOG WITH STOCK H PIPE N CATS

--------------------
{]LEGION510[}

Posts: 374 | From: EAST OAKLAND | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
89notch347
¯
Member # 9818

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89notch347  Ford pictures for 89notch347    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
pipes with spin tech  -
SikWiditMke
¯
Member # 9699

89notch347

What are you running? are u cammed? those mufflers are sick, just stupid expensive for my budget! ive decided im gonna spend my money towards a set of heads then ill worry about my exhaust! my bassani x and flows will do for now!! lol

--------------------
90 GT *sold*
92 GT *sold*

Ryan_LX
¯
Member # 7089

quote:
Originally posted by SikWiditMke:
Dang bro im pretty shure those spintech sound dope!! i was looking towards some dynomax race bullets!! people argue there glasspacks but in truth there a straight thru muffler!! what kind of mid-pipe u running!

yeah man they sound sick really unique sound to em..im runnin a bbk o/r x.. try to put up some vids when i get my pipes welded on. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jesus is king!

89notch347
¯
Member # 9818

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89notch347  Ford pictures for 89notch347    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i got 347 with afr 185 with custom cam probe industries long tubes H-pipe no cats
Sydewayz 24/7
¯
Member # 8725

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sydewayz 24/7  Ford pictures for Sydewayz 24/7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 89notch347:
pipes with spin tech  -

Thats one bad ass coupe

--------------------
Stayin Sydeways

warhorse58gt
¯
Member # 7702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for warhorse58gt  Ford pictures for warhorse58gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
tail pipes! have about the same set up as op.. and i would run it any other way! [patriot]

--------------------
WOLFPACK RACING

With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.

83gt 354ci sbf 9.40 @ 143
77 cobra 2 171ci 97hp of pure fury!

89notch347
¯
Member # 9818

quote:
Originally posted by Sydewayz 24/7:
quote:
Originally posted by 89notch347:
pipes with spin tech  -

Thats one bad ass coupe
Thanks still got long way to go.

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com