Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » I need some help or advice.....

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: I need some help or advice.....
87 4spd GT
¯
Member # 9216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87 4spd GT  Ford pictures for 87 4spd GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So I finished up with doing a "gt40"explorer intake upper and lower and putting in new injectors. I resolved my vacuum leaks and timing issue I had. Now after starting it and just letting it warm up yesterday it started making some crazy noise coming from the driver side valve area. So I decided to do a compression test to check the valves. So I pulled the upper intake off and also pulled the valve cover too. I noticed that I had some fresh oil on the upper to lower intake gasket. Also the #8 plug was saturated in oil too. Now #'s 5,6, 7 were all within 10psi of each other but only hitting 110 at best and #8 being about an 85psi. Now with that being said. Could it be possible that my gasket on the lower to head sprung a leak causing oil to bleed through the upper and lower and also to go into the intake of #8.

Please need any advice on this and any possibilities I should be working on so I can get this resolved. I hate not having my car RUNNING.

[ February 03, 2010, 03:56 PM: Message edited by: 87 4spd GT ]

--------------------
Putting a 'Playboy' brand g-string on your 'ol lady does not make her a Playmate

street_illegal_stang
¯
Member # 1554

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for street_illegal_stang  Ford pictures for street_illegal_stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah its possible but highly unlikely thats a problem. Sounds like you have blow by in that cylinder and those psi #'s indicate your rings are shot(thats if the valve train is setup correctly. Even in the intake wasn't installed, you would get the same compression numbers.

If you have a air compressor,rotate the crank till you no longer feel air rushing out the spark plug boss of cylinder#8. doing that gets you to TDC on #8. Plug in a fitting to the spark plug boss of cylinder#8 to connect the air compressor hose. turn on the air compressor and regulate the pressure below 100psi if possible. Then Listen for air leaks in the engine. if air in leakingfrom the breather(oil cap area) then you have bad rings. if it leaks from the intake or exhaust then your vavles arent sealing to well. this is a ghetto way to do a leakdown test, but it works..
BtW its a 14mm sparkplug thread, if you need the fitting. I just took one off my air die grinder

Oh yeah, what kinda of crazy noise ?

I read somewhere when doing a compression test, If the first revolotion (one crank)of the test doesnt jump up the psi close to max psi Right away then the rings are worn. To verify that test, shoot some marvel mystery oil into that cylinder and retest.That'll create a ring seal- If the psi then jumps up on the first crank,then for sure you have worn rings. But if no change after oiling, its likely a valve job needed.

[ February 03, 2010, 04:55 PM: Message edited by: street_illegal_stang ]

Posts: 1276 | From: Long Beach C.A | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
alot of very good worded info there!
87 4spd GT
¯
Member # 9216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87 4spd GT  Ford pictures for 87 4spd GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The noise sounds basically like it was coming from a valve or lifter problem. It would go away for a min or 2. And also when I gave a lil gas.

I figured that the psi numbers were a lil low but how bad are they and can they get me by until I can get a new motor or a rebuild in order?

Also when I pulled the plugs last the #8 never had any oil on it. So how can I have the ring problem in that cylinder just showing after I did the intake on it?

I did read before on doing the leak down test but no air compressor until I get it back from the father-in-laws.......

--------------------
Putting a 'Playboy' brand g-string on your 'ol lady does not make her a Playmate

street_illegal_stang
¯
Member # 1554

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for street_illegal_stang  Ford pictures for street_illegal_stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 87 4spd GT:
The noise sounds basically like it was coming from a valve or lifter problem. It would go away for a min or 2. And also when I gave a lil gas.

I figured that the psi numbers were a lil low but how bad are they and can they get me by until I can get a new motor or a rebuild in order?

Also when I pulled the plugs last the #8 never had any oil on it. So how can I have the ring problem in that cylinder just showing after I did the intake on it?

I did read before on doing the leak down test but no air compressor until I get it back from the father-in-laws.......

Oil on the plug is from either bad valve seals or worn rings(blow-by)
Is your oil pressure Low? maybe you have a sticky lifter. Did you recently adjust the rockers?
Ask around the board to see if somebody can
help you rebuild your engine or sell you a rebuilt one they have laying around. I've seen some sell on here for under $400... which is a bargin considering the cost of rings,bearings,and needed tools.

you can drive it as is like that If you dont mind it. but
I wouldn't spend any more money on bolt ons till you get rebuilt.

Posts: 1276 | From: Long Beach C.A | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com