Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Car Dies When Coming Out Of Gear.

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Car Dies When Coming Out Of Gear.
50 Deep
Jockin 03 Cobras
Member # 6216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50 Deep  Ford pictures for 50 Deep  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So its an 89 fox. 306 HCI. 30# inj and matching C&L. T-5 swap with auto computer.

What happens is when coming out of gear the cars rpm's drop like usual but on occasion will dip too low and die out. Car runs strong all through the rpm band and idles at about 900rpm. I've only gout about 30 miles on the maf and injectors so I'm not sure if the car is still learning how to meter the air or if its maybe the cam playing with the idle. When I had my 24# injectors it didn't really do it. Also was suggested to me that the automatic computers can somehow contribute to this issue. The IAC and all that is clean but I will be swapping in a spare one just to check. Maybe its something that can be tuned out?

So what do you all think? Just want to get some suggestions from others who may have had the same issues.

--------------------
Signature Wheel Ford Representative
Email: Terrance@Signaturewheel.com
Instagram: @Signature_Wheel_Mustang
Web: www.SignatureWheel.com

Posts: 6043 | From: sacramento | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
89bluenotch
¯
Member # 7454

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89bluenotch  Ford pictures for 89bluenotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My car has done the same thing probably twice in the last 8 months or so. I honestly think it's my C&L mass air, People either love them or hate them it seems like. I am going to change mine out asap

--------------------
-Gunnar
89 coupe
54 f100
R.I.P. SILVERLX

Posts: 1857 | From: HEALDSBURG | Registered: Feb 2007  |  :
50 Deep
Jockin 03 Cobras
Member # 6216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50 Deep  Ford pictures for 50 Deep  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah i have heard mixed reviews about them. i had a buddies C&L with my 24's and it ran fine, then i have a buddy with one and 42's and his runs good but is tuned. From what i understand the sample tubes just fool the maf so it adds more fuel. not sure if im cutting it too close with those 30's and it might be best to have it corrected in a tune.

--------------------

2BlueGeeTees
¯
Member # 4702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2BlueGeeTees  Ford pictures for 2BlueGeeTees    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I doubt the 30#s are too big and causing your stall. I would start with small things such as iac and tps. Where is your timing set at and what do the pugs look like. As far as the c&l I had many problems with them but not a stalling issue. Where is your base idle set at?
Posts: 2316 | From: Vacaville | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :
50 Deep
Jockin 03 Cobras
Member # 6216

IAC and TPS came with my TB. I will swap on my stock ones for comparison.

Timing is at 12. Idle set at 800-900rpm

--------------------

Jaejae5.0
¯
Member # 7958

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaejae5.0  Ford pictures for Jaejae5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my car used to do that all the time..some say it has something to do with the "vss" since your using an auto ecu like i do.. i just did a base idle reset and now its fine..lol

--------------------
1987 notchback h/c/i 302 & 70mm turbo SOLD

2000 camaro ss cam only

Posts: 4890 | From: the combustion chamber | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
2BlueGeeTees
¯
Member # 4702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2BlueGeeTees  Ford pictures for 2BlueGeeTees    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Your base idle is with the vacuum disconnected it should be around 500
Posts: 2316 | From: Vacaville | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :
50 Deep
Jockin 03 Cobras
Member # 6216

Which vacuum line are you disconnecting?

Jae what is a base idle reset? I haven't had to do that on any of my stangs before

--------------------

90FoX
FoX
Member # 1974

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90FoX  Ford pictures for 90FoX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 50 Deep:
Jae what is a base idle reset? I haven't had to do that on any of my stangs before

http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,1031.0.html

I've heard the same about auto computers...was this car an auto before?

Posts: 5364 | From: Shooting Skeet | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
Adam5.0
¯
Member # 6995

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adam5.0  Ford pictures for Adam5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I,ve had the same problem. try doing the base idle reset.

--------------------
want something old and japanese

Posts: 1609 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Aug 2006  |  :
50 Deep
Jockin 03 Cobras
Member # 6216

i will give it a shot tonight and see what happens. sounds like it could work. i have heard though that cars with auto computers and the 5 speed swap will have this problem

--------------------

Cstang5.0
¯
Member # 4925

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cstang5.0  Ford pictures for Cstang5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
i will give it a shot tonight and see what happens. sounds like it could work. i have heard though that cars with auto computers and the 5 speed swap will have this problem

i have ran an auto computer with a five speed in two cars and never had a problem with that. try the idle reset helps a lot. [patriot]

--------------------
88 VERT slow sold
89 coupe stock ; )
02 yukon
05 focus

50 Deep
Jockin 03 Cobras
Member # 6216

quote:
Originally posted by 90FoX:
quote:

http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,1031.0.html

I've heard the same about auto computers...was this car an auto before?

thanks for the link. yeah its was an auto originally.

Cstang50 i have heard of it happening to some and not to others. dunno if its actually the cause or what

--------------------

*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *EPIK*  Ford pictures for *EPIK*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My car was originally an auto & I never swapped out the ecu, but I have never had the issue. I am also running a C&L & have never had any issues with that either...

--------------------
=91 Notch:12.31@110 **Under Construction**
=05 CTS-V: 418rwhp/393rwtq=13.01@111

http://www.djepikmusic.com

djlopez916
¯
Member # 8787

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for djlopez916  Ford pictures for djlopez916  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my car does the same shit sometimes started after I put the C&L meter

--------------------
89 GT VERT work in progress
05 v6 stang
97 Ford expedition

djlopez916
¯
Member # 8787

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for djlopez916  Ford pictures for djlopez916  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

hmm LMK what the problem was cause my 50 was orginally a auto i did a 5pd swap but still running the auto ecu

--------------------
89 GT VERT work in progress
05 v6 stang
97 Ford expedition

50 Deep
Jockin 03 Cobras
Member # 6216

fixed it. set screw on the throttle blade was too far closed for the cam. After doing it i realize that i had done it before but didnt know the proper name. quick fix.

who wants to race now? [Big Grin]

Jaejae5.0
¯
Member # 7958

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaejae5.0  Ford pictures for Jaejae5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
fixed it. set screw on the throttle blade was too far closed for the cam. After doing it i realize that i had done it before but didnt know the proper name. quick fix.

race reggie [Wink]

--------------------

2000 camaro ss cam only

50 Deep
Jockin 03 Cobras
Member # 6216

quote:
Originally posted by jaejae:
quote:

race reggie [Wink]
Yeah....... tell that man to take off 2 of his plug wires and we got a deal. Or that little whistly thing.... how is he liking that torque arm?

--------------------

Jaejae5.0
¯
Member # 7958

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jaejae:
quote:

race reggie [Wink]
Yeah....... tell that man to take off 2 of his plug wires and we got a deal. Or that little whistly thing.... how is he liking that torque arm?
lol take off the whistly thing..haha..his car is alot more stable now..deff tell a diff

--------------------

2000 camaro ss cam only

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com