Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » How can i tell if a mustang has frame damage?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: How can i tell if a mustang has frame damage?
StrokHer
¯
Member # 9244

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for StrokHer  Ford pictures for StrokHer    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hi, My friend just bought a mustang and i was wondering how i can tell if it has frame damage?
Thanks!

[ November 20, 2009, 02:17 PM: Message edited by: 4.94919 Liter ]

Posts: 54 | From: Fairfield, Ca | Registered: Jun 2009  |  :
50/50
¯
Member # 1724

Ford Icon 8 posted      Profile for 50/50  Ford pictures for 50/50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you follow while he's driving and the car's at an angle. The frame's probably bent.

--------------------
Previously named: VenGeance, 5LiterFever, 50cal.

Drive safely. You wanna drive in it. Not DIE in it.

phildog
¯
Member # 1214

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phildog  Ford pictures for phildog    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Look along the frame rails for bent or crumpled sheetmetal. I usually start in the front, looking for missing rivets in the bumper cover, then the radiator support, both upper and lower, does the hood latch align well? Check the inner fenderwells, the the bottom sides of the front frame rails, the floor pans, the seat mounts, and of course the torque boxes for cracks, rips or poor repairs. Always check the jams for signs of paintwork, overspray, different colors, as that will alert you to pay extra attention to that area. Also look at the pinch welds under the rockers for big scars from frame rack clamps, as that is a sign of prior damage. Look for switched body panels as well, identifiable by the VIN stickers on them, to tell if the panel is original to that car. If not, start asking questions.

A straight, unmolested Mustang with original panels will always be a valuable commodity.

I am not a body man, so I am sure I have missed some stuff, but I am notoriously picky. [Big Grin]

StrokHer
¯
Member # 9244

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for StrokHer  Ford pictures for StrokHer    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How about visually? Any spots to look on the car? any signs? Im asking because it doesnt run at this moment.
StrokHer
¯
Member # 9244

thank you phildog, i left the reply screen open and didnt see your post
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
To add to Phildog, also check the trunk. Lift up the carpet and check the corners back and front for ripples.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
pop off the door sills and pull the carpet back between the doors, if it's been on a frame machine there will be claw marks on the floor under the carpets right along the frame rails from where they clamped it down.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
StrokHer
¯
Member # 9244

What if it has been on a frome machine? does that mean it was bent and is now fixed? or do they not always fix it?

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com