Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » rebuilding 5.0 short block

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: rebuilding 5.0 short block
SSF 50
¯
Member # 7219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SSF 50  Ford pictures for SSF 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Want 2 know about rebuilding a 5.0 short block,a good book or website or even some1 here expailning! I've done a lot of work on 50z, on motors i've done cam swaps , head swaps,changed freeze plugs, even changed rod & main caps bearings. i want 2 completly rebuild 1, so the things im not 2 sure about doing is the rings and cam bearings (if anything else LMK) and from what i know the rings r suppose 2 face a certain way, so all the help 2 face me in the right way would be great.
Sorry 4 the long story but hay i know there is a couple great peps on here that do it all the time so great place 2 ask [Big Grin] !
THANKS ahead of time [patriot]

--------------------
Never Ending List of 50z!!

"BAY AREA STUNNAZ"
Dude that 5.0 is not a 5.0 no way bro. It has to have a diff motor.

Jonny421Blaze
¯
Member # 9303

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jonny421Blaze  Ford pictures for Jonny421Blaze    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
There is a Ford Engine Overhaul Manual book from Haynes, or just use the Haynes manual. I rebuilt my 302 using these two books. The manual explains how to put in the rings. Cam bearings must be pressed in.

--------------------
Rebuilt '88 302. E303, BBK Cold Air, 70mm MAF, 70mm BBK TB, TF heads, Shorty BBK headers, Cobra Manifold, 19lbs. inj, M2300K brake kit.

Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
need a special too for the cam bearing which i got but dont let borrow.im putting a 383 chevy stroker together from scracth today if you wanna watch?its gonna have 11 pounds of boost.
turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SSF 50:
Want 2 know about rebuilding a 5.0 short block,a good book or website or even some1 here expailning! I've done a lot of work on 50z, on motors i've done cam swaps , head swaps,changed freeze plugs, even changed rod & main caps bearings. i want 2 completly rebuild 1, so the things im not 2 sure about doing is the rings and cam bearings (if anything else LMK) and from what i know the rings r suppose 2 face a certain way, so all the help 2 face me in the right way would be great.
Sorry 4 the long story but hay i know there is a couple great peps on here that do it all the time so great place 2 ask [Big Grin] !

You are half way there. Just be sure to experiment on your own car that way you dont have any people barking up your tree.

The rings always come with directions. You gap according to what the combination needs ie. all motor, boost/nitrous.

Get some good outside and inside mics from Summit they sell them cheap but they are decent enough to use.

Get "How to rebuild small block fords" used from amazon for about 8 bux. It will have all the main/rod journal specs and torque specs for stock application deals.

Get a ring filer from Summit. Get a 4.00-4.1.00 ball hone and just knock the glaze off.

I build motors all the time and you can come by and give me a hand if you are up for the drive and you will work for free.

Matter of fact Im building one this weekend.

Anything else you need feel free to PM me.

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
trickflow211
¯
Member # 8503

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for trickflow211  Ford pictures for trickflow211    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by turbo50:
quote:
Originally posted by SSF 50:

You are half way there. Just be sure to experiment on your own car that way you dont have any people barking up your tree.

The rings always come with directions. You gap according to what the combination needs ie. all motor, boost/nitrous.

Get some good outside and inside mics from Summit they sell them cheap but they are decent enough to use.

Get "How to rebuild small block fords" used from amazon for about 8 bux. It will have all the main/rod journal specs and torque specs for stock application deals.

Get a ring filer from Summit. Get a 4.00-4.1.00 ball hone and just knock the glaze off.

I build motors all the time and you can come by and give me a hand if you are up for the drive and you will work for free.

Matter of fact Im building one this weekend.

Anything else you need feel free to PM me.

i would love to come watch u some time, and learn a few things from you, my 5.0 is my 1st car so i want to learn how to do everything on it. i am in pittsburg so we are close.

--------------------
1990 Cobra Clone 421 Tq 420 Hp

Need General Contractor Services? 925-338-5422 serving East Bay Area over 20yrs

Posts: 2449 | From: Pittsburg/Sacramento | Registered: Jul 2008  |  :
SSF 50
¯
Member # 7219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SSF 50  Ford pictures for SSF 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thanks turbo50 4 the info and the offer 2 come help (which iz great cause thats the best way i learn iz hands on cause when i read i dont comprehend very good) i would like 2 come out this weekend but got some stuff going on LMK when u r doing another 1.

--------------------
Never Ending List of 50z!!

"BAY AREA STUNNAZ"
Dude that 5.0 is not a 5.0 no way bro. It has to have a diff motor.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com