Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » should i take off my thermostats 89 5.0

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: should i take off my thermostats 89 5.0
Notch_notch
¯
Member # 8902

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Notch_notch  Ford pictures for Notch_notch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my engine is getting hot about 1/4 temperature, i was driving on freeway going down a little... help me what kind of degree thermostats should i get 160-180-190 which is the best??

--------------------
How many fake accounts does one need? Make a fake account, get the ban. It's in the rules.

DARKSHO
¯
Member # 7446

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DARKSHO  Ford pictures for DARKSHO    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I dont think 1/4 is hot, 3/4 could be but a thermostat is cheep. Im running a 185 deg. and my car runs at 190 to 230 depending on how Im driving, if that doesnt work check your radiator it mite be partly pluged
1989lx5.0
¯
Member # 3699

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1989lx5.0  Ford pictures for 1989lx5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ya 1/4 isnt hot, also you might have better luck posting in the tech section. [Wink]

--------------------
1979 pace car

1985 svo

www.californiafords.com the better calfords

Posts: 552 | From: near fresno | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
No, do not remove your thermostat or your car will run like shit. I would run a 180.
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
89 306
¯
Member # 9042

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89 306  Ford pictures for 89 306    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB

--------------------
02 mustang gt...mods soon to come!

89 lx: 306. edelbrock. heads..ported gt 40 manifolds..and all that other good stuff.

------------------
The ant-ghetto sign is no joke. Degrade this forum with ghetto behavior and get the boot. Ghetto behavior such as street slang, no regard for education (spelling & grammar) and threatening others with violence has no place on CAFords.com. Please find another forum to demonstrate such behavior.

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the thermostat does not determine how hot or cold your engine runs, the radiator and fan and the running condition of the engine do.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
fastertoys1
¯
Member # 5270

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fastertoys1  Ford pictures for fastertoys1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 92stangLX:
No, do not remove your thermostat or your car will run like shit. I would run a 180.

i dont run a thermo in my car, runs just fine..
does take about 5 mins to warm up in the morning but what 20+ yr olds car doesnt?

Notch_notch
¯
Member # 8902

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Notch_notch  Ford pictures for Notch_notch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
No my temperature 1/2 above something like 2 clock.. I just change my waterpump.. You know

--------------------
How many fake accounts does one need? Make a fake account, get the ban. It's in the rules.

RAP66
¯
Member # 3360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RAP66  Ford pictures for RAP66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if it's an EFI motor the t-stat should be 190-195, the ecu is calibrated to work at that temp.

--------------------
91GT Kurgan Tuned:12lbs of boost 492.4 rwhp / 483.1 rwtq
http://killcarb.org/

www.fordstrokers.com

Posts: 893 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
sic70stang
CAFords OG
Member # 4347

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sic70stang  Ford pictures for sic70stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
why do people take out t stats....

--------------------
The anti-crew
1987 rolling safety violation.

Posts: 6940 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
Adam5.0
¯
Member # 6995

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adam5.0  Ford pictures for Adam5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
cars gonna run hotter without t stat. the t stat also regulates coolant flow to allow more time for heat transfer.
the stock temp gauge isnt the best thing to go buy. get an autometer gauge. you might not even have a problem

--------------------
want something old and japanese

Posts: 1609 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Aug 2006  |  :
SF Coupe
¯
Member # 1810

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SF Coupe  Ford pictures for SF Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Adam5.0:
cars gonna run hotter without t stat. the t stat also regulates coolant flow to allow more time for heat transfer.
the stock temp gauge isnt the best thing to go buy. get an autometer gauge. you might not even have a problem

Internet myth. More coolant flow yields better cooling. None of the guys I race with run t-stats. My car runs cooler on the track without a t-stat. However, they should be run on street cars. It keeps the engine at the proper operating temperature.
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SF Coupe:
quote:

Internet myth. More coolant flow yields better cooling.
Incorrect. It WILL run hotter overall. Unregulated flow will not cool as efficently as regulated flow. The fluid must be in the radiator "x" amount of time to cool, otherwise it will retain the heat, go through the engine again, and heat up even more.
FI cars are built to run at a certain temp. Changing that temp without adjusting said parameters in the computer will only make it worse.

If you have a temp problem, fix the problem...

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

Internet myth. More coolant flow yields better cooling. None of the guys I race with run t-stats. My car runs cooler on the track without a t-stat. However, they should be run on street cars. It keeps the engine at the proper operating temperature.
how far have you driven the car like that? It doesn't cool the fluid enough and the car will overheat if you drive it on a long trip. I bought a 5.0 a while back and the first long trip with it, it overheated on the freeway, dug into it and there was no thermostat, replaced it with a stock 195* thermostat and it never overheated again.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
SF Coupe
¯
Member # 1810

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SF Coupe  Ford pictures for SF Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Guys, I respect your knowledge on many things. But on this you're buying into an internet myth. I've spoken with race car engineers and a lot of guys at the track who race their cars. More flow in our cooling systems means better cooling. When I drive my car to the track it runs at 160-170* with the t-stat out on a 3 hour road trip. With the t-stat it ran at 180*. On the track the car runs at 195-210* depending on ambient temp. With the t stat it ran at 210-230*. Blind, what probably happened in your case was pump cavitation. Some pumps will cavitate if there is no back pressure in the system. Here are couple of pages, one from stewart components, who make thermostats!

http://www.stewartcomponents.com/tech_tips/Tech_Tips_3.htm

http://corner-carvers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29454&highlight=thermostat

http://corner-carvers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23746&highlight=thermostat

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
With regards to your links, none of them pertain to the issue at hand. Removing a thermostat is not the fix for a cooling issue...nor should it be the cause of a overheat condition.

Additionally, the links you posted are opinions, just as ours are. Be it a manufacturers website (which said nothing about running without a thermostat being beneficial) or another message board, it's still opinions. [Smile]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

SF Coupe
¯
Member # 1810

True, a t-stat is the way to go in a street application. However, your argument about dwell time is not based on anything but an old wives tale. The "opinions" in the linked threads and stewart's website are based on thermodynamic formulas that disprove the dwell time myth.
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

quote:
True, a t-stat is the way to go in a street application.

I'm glad you realized we're talking about a street car, not a race car. [Wink]

Dwell time, when referenced to a EFI setup, is not a myth... with regards to a street car. Proper operating temp/range is critical to the longevity and efficient operation of a street car.

C

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
True, a t-stat is the way to go in a street application. However, your argument about dwell time is not based on anything but an old wives tale. The "opinions" in the linked threads and stewart's website are based on thermodynamic formulas that disprove the dwell time myth.

I'd go with a 180 in your car, if it runs too cool it will stay in open loop and get SHITTY gas mileage..... ask me how I know.

Ok, we had a circle track car that was running hot with no thermostat. They make discs that go in place of a thermostat that restrict the flow, we added a med size one and it ran perfect. The water needs time to dissipate heat into the radiator or it won't cool the car, end of story.

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com