Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Bogging out

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Bogging out
CHP2981
¯
Member # 9240

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CHP2981  Ford pictures for CHP2981    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just added a Paxton 1220 SL on my stock motor. The only thing I've added is a MSD 6AL and Dist. This kit is made for stock motor 5-6 psi. At idle it's fine smooth, if I accelerate gradually it's also fine but if I slam my foot down it boggs and jerks like if can't drive a stick jerk. I just put the this thing in yesterday so I haven't really started asking anybody yet on what it may be. But if anybody been here done that and fixed it. Help a bro out so I won't have to search and replace things I don't need to replace (waste time and money) thanks for any help.

--------------------
No half steppin

84SVOrick
¯
Member # 9039

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 84SVOrick  Ford pictures for 84SVOrick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hows tha timing??? also did you advance the timing?

--------------------
Bay Area Stunnaz
RIP Jeannera "FOXY302"
10/29/87-10/9/10
1984 SVO 302 HCI a basic bitch
1986 GT FOXY302 stolen and totaled R.I.P.

Posts: 1928 | From: Vallejo CA | Registered: Mar 2009  |  :
CHP2981
¯
Member # 9240

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CHP2981  Ford pictures for CHP2981    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I didn't do anything to the timing yet. I'm not to good at timing i usually have my cousin time it because i always mess it up. but i drove it again to get more info on when and what it does. At 3500 RPM it boggs pings and a puff of smoke so i know when it pings its timing I hope. What should it be at with 5-6 psi ? Thanks again for any help. Oh I use 91 octane also and my spark plugs aren't new but they have about 5k or less miles.

--------------------
No half steppin

kennebellgt
¯
Member # 8395

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kennebellgt  Ford pictures for kennebellgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i had the same problem id hit the gas hard and it would buck me back and fourth in my seat, it ended up being my ignition coil. try that.

--------------------
just trying to fight the SN-95 demons

PS3 NAME- kennebellgt

Posts: 830 | From: Sacramento | Registered: May 2008  |  :
CHP2981
¯
Member # 9240

Thanks, I haven't changed that.
84SVOrick
¯
Member # 9039

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 84SVOrick  Ford pictures for 84SVOrick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Depending if u got a cam or not, but between 12 to 14 advanced.

--------------------
Bay Area Stunnaz
RIP Jeannera "FOXY302"
10/29/87-10/9/10
1984 SVO 302 HCI a basic bitch
1986 GT FOXY302 stolen and totaled R.I.P.

Posts: 1928 | From: Vallejo CA | Registered: Mar 2009  |  :
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check your fuel pressure. If it is correct and not dropping under load, go with an ignition related issue. Plugs should be stock, gapped at .034-.036. Edit: your timing should be at 8*.

My money is on a stock fuel pump that can't keep up.

[ September 20, 2009, 10:05 AM: Message edited by: JohnB ]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
CHP2981
¯
Member # 9240

This is basically the same set up I had on my other mustang but the other one I had timing set, new coil, and a 255 fuel pump and 24lb injectors so from what I'm hearing I need the same thing thanks fellas for you help it's much appreciated. And I'll thank you in person when I get a chance.
Mustang Guru
¯
Member # 4119

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mustang Guru  Ford pictures for Mustang Guru    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
fuel pump +1 bump

--------------------
1990 x-chp highway lil 302
1977 caprice classic 2dr.{Sold} 1988 coupe 4cyl dd{sold}

Posts: 1171 | From: Uptown Bound | Registered: Feb 2004  |  :
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
Check your fuel pressure. If it is correct and not dropping under load, go with an ignition related issue. Plugs should be stock, gapped at .034-.036. Edit: your timing should be at 8*.

My money is on a stock fuel pump that can't keep up.

Listen to johnb [Smile] also, give more details about your setup. Are you running an fmu, btm, etc?
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
CHP2981
¯
Member # 9240

I have the FMU that came with the kit I do have MSD 6AL and MSD dist. Everything is stock from intake to oil pan. I've ordered a 255 fuel pump and 24lb injectors so until then I'll adjust the timing and change the coil.

--------------------
No half steppin

68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 68dustin  Ford pictures for 68dustin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
better check that timming out... sounds like ur either running lean or gettting detonation

--------------------
"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction that I can keep, and if I do begin to slide, please dear God protect me and my ride!"

Posts: 3986 | From: neverland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  :
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by CHP2981:
I have the FMU that came with the kit I do have MSD 6AL and MSD dist. Everything is stock from intake to oil pan. I've ordered a 255 fuel pump and 24lb injectors so until then I'll adjust the timing and change the coil.

Before slapping any more parts on the thing I would figure out what the problem is [Smile] Start by checking fuel pressure.

BTW.. if you change injectors you will need ot get a new calibration disk for your FMU.

CHP2981
¯
Member # 9240

You know I tripped off that FMU because when I had the other set up I still had the same FMU with the 24s and 255 and I didn't know they were calibrated for specific injectors. I haven't got the stuff yet can cancel the order.

--------------------
No half steppin

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

quote:
Originally posted by CHP2981:
You know I tripped off that FMU because when I had the other set up I still had the same FMU with the 24s and 255 and I didn't know they were calibrated for specific injectors. I haven't got the stuff yet can cancel the order.

Like I said.. I would check your fuel pressure first. If it is off then first try adjusting it at the regulator.

Recalibrating the FMU isn't a big deal. You just need a disk from Powerdyne.

However, you should check basics before ordering more parts.

CHP2981
¯
Member # 9240

Well last week I tinkered the timing I did 8,10,12,14 and still bogged out then we disconected the MSD to see if there was something wrong with that still no change. Went and got a coil, still the same. This weekend I'm gonna get a fuel pump and see if that works. Most of you guys recomemended that in the begining. Then I'll get bigger injectors, adj reg. Etc. Anymore ideas?

--------------------
No half steppin

CHP2981
¯
Member # 9240

Well after my fuckin car falls off the jackstands and almost squashes me I put the 255 fuel pump in and it still does the same thing. What it does it seems like something is cutting off. Could the FMU be messed up or the MSD because like I said it feels like it has a rev. limiter the power just cuts off pings, and a puff of smoke. So the next thing I'm gonna look at is to make sure the FMU is hooked up rite and change the fuel regulater (another stock one) then change the plugs and make sure they are gaped rite. Any other ideas that I can look at or if I can't figure it out I'm just going to take it to a shop probibly someone here on cal fords.

--------------------
No half steppin

CHP2981
¯
Member # 9240

Well I changed the plugs gapped them to .034 and I added a CL meter for good measure and it still the same thing. I narrowed it down to it happens about a 1/3 of the time it hauls ass with no loss of power but the other 2/3 of the time it boggs looses power and bucks so hard the tires bark then pings and a puff of smoke. I'm looking to change the stock fuel regulater and after that maybe the injectors. If that don't fix it I'll be looking for a shop that will fix this freakin problem.

[ October 03, 2009, 11:45 PM: Message edited by: CHP2981 ]

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com