Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » loss of power with an O/R H pipe swap?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: loss of power with an O/R H pipe swap?
87 4spd GT
¯
Member # 9216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87 4spd GT  Ford pictures for 87 4spd GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Okay so recently I put on a new o/r h pipe when I put on some hooker headers. It seemed like afterwards the low end was gone but the mid range was better. So since I wanted the low end power back I put the stock H pipe back on and now no low end power still. Is this because the comp needs to calibrate and I have only driven it maybe 30 miles since I put the stock H pipe back on. Or is this because of the headers? Are the headers too big for what mods I only have..... CAI, u/d pullies, maf conv, Stage 2 shift kit, 3.73's and timing at around 12?

Any help is more than appreciated....

--------------------
Putting a 'Playboy' brand g-string on your 'ol lady does not make her a Playmate

LQ9SN95
¯
Member # 7080

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LQ9SN95  Ford pictures for LQ9SN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ya u probably have to much air flow for the lil mods that u have. u need a lil more back pressure

--------------------
http://www.fastgms-teamfast.com
http://www.facebook.com/aop.fresno?ref=ts&fref=ts
Lq9 swap
102 fast intake
Trick flow heads
T rex cam

Posts: 8031 | From: Fresno, Ca | Registered: Sep 2006  |  :
87 4spd GT
¯
Member # 9216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87 4spd GT  Ford pictures for 87 4spd GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well that's what I was thinking was a loss of back pressure especially with the no cats and than with the headers. But is it really that big of a difference where I cant light them up from the start? But mid range is good! And would it be a good time to install my gt40 intake and should that even everything out on it than?

--------------------
Putting a 'Playboy' brand g-string on your 'ol lady does not make her a Playmate

89 306
¯
Member # 9042

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89 306  Ford pictures for 89 306    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
check ur flanges make sure they are all tight and make sure one aint more tight than the other side

--------------------
02 mustang gt...mods soon to come!

89 lx: 306. edelbrock. heads..ported gt 40 manifolds..and all that other good stuff.

------------------
The ant-ghetto sign is no joke. Degrade this forum with ghetto behavior and get the boot. Ghetto behavior such as street slang, no regard for education (spelling & grammar) and threatening others with violence has no place on CAFords.com. Please find another forum to demonstrate such behavior.

87 4spd GT
¯
Member # 9216

well i pretty much checked those again with really not finding nothing wrong, but I would hear an exhaust leak if thats what you are referring too..

--------------------

Ty
¯
Member # 4920

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ty  Ford pictures for Ty  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
more than likely youve got a leak at the headers. go get some good gaskets and seal em up

--------------------
DRIVE FAST TAKE CHANCES
----------------------------
90 gt nothin special, just your average bolt ons...OUT TO PASTURE
69 fastback project car

87 4spd GT
¯
Member # 9216

after I installed them I went and checked all around the headers to feel for any exhaust escaping "leaks" but couldn't find anything. could a small leak create such a low end torque loss, or would the loss of back pressure be the problem?

--------------------

89 306
¯
Member # 9042

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89 306  Ford pictures for 89 306    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thats wat i meant sometimes u think they go on rite but might end up sideways..jus throwin it out there...

--------------------
02 mustang gt...mods soon to come!

89 lx: 306. edelbrock. heads..ported gt 40 manifolds..and all that other good stuff.

------------------
The ant-ghetto sign is no joke. Degrade this forum with ghetto behavior and get the boot. Ghetto behavior such as street slang, no regard for education (spelling & grammar) and threatening others with violence has no place on CAFords.com. Please find another forum to demonstrate such behavior.

87 4spd GT
¯
Member # 9216

looks like I may be getting under there in the next few days, so if everything is tight could the result of having not enough back pressure create losing that much torque. The torque is there when i shift to second it almost barks them. But from the start there is no spin from the tires like before I did the headers and H-pipe.

[ September 16, 2009, 06:53 PM: Message edited by: 87 4spd GT ]

--------------------

mrcoupe
¯
Member # 8912

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrcoupe  Ford pictures for mrcoupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
try bumping ur timing to 14.long as u dont hear no pinging u wanna get as much timing as u can out of it.

--------------------
03 termi

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 87 4spd GT:
Well that's what I was thinking was a loss of back pressure especially with the no cats and than with the headers. But is it really that big of a difference where I cant light them up from the start? But mid range is good! And would it be a good time to install my gt40 intake and should that even everything out on it than?

Sounds normal to me. You are trading the low end torque for the mid-range and top end power. If you want a balance then swap in an h-pipe with hi flow cats. You will pick up some more low end and still have a lot more power than the stock h-pipe.

If you want to keep the o/r pipe then put the GT40 intake on and you will pick up a bunch of power. Also, gears will help your low end torque if you don't already have them.

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
mrcoupe
¯
Member # 8912

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrcoupe  Ford pictures for mrcoupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 92stangLX:
quote:
Originally posted by 87 4spd GT:

Sounds normal to me. You are trading the low end torque for the mid-range and top end power. If you want a balance then swap in an h-pipe with hi flow cats. You will pick up some more low end and still have a lot more power than the stock h-pipe.

If you want to keep the o/r pipe then put the GT40 intake on and you will pick up a bunch of power. Also, gears will help your low end torque if you don't already have them.

+1 yes gears,biggest bang for ur buck [burnout]

--------------------
03 termi

2BlueGeeTees
¯
Member # 4702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2BlueGeeTees  Ford pictures for 2BlueGeeTees    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
He is already running a 3.73. I would play with timing a bit make sure u have no vacuum leaks. When was the las tune up so on and so forth.
Posts: 2316 | From: Vacaville | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :
87 4spd GT
¯
Member # 9216

I am going to go through next weekend and do a tune up on her with new wires cap and rotor, I just at the beginning of this year put some E3 plugs on so they should be fine. And possible play with the timing a bit.

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com