Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » spark plug help!! asap!! new question (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: spark plug help!! asap!! new question
89 306
¯
Member # 9042

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89 306  Ford pictures for 89 306    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i recently changed the head gaskets on my car and i changed every gasket from the heads up..
my problem is that i changed the wires and cap/rotor except the plugs cuz they were only about 2 days old...i start my car and the wires are grounding out with the head..so i got some new ones gaped them to .45 and its still the same causing my car to run lik a p.o.s!! what the hell can be causin this.... need ideas and sugggestions asap since this is my daily drver and need it for work...i appreciate the help

[ September 17, 2009, 11:42 PM: Message edited by: 89 306 ]

--------------------
02 mustang gt...mods soon to come!

89 lx: 306. edelbrock. heads..ported gt 40 manifolds..and all that other good stuff.

------------------
The ant-ghetto sign is no joke. Degrade this forum with ghetto behavior and get the boot. Ghetto behavior such as street slang, no regard for education (spelling & grammar) and threatening others with violence has no place on CAFords.com. Please find another forum to demonstrate such behavior.

89 306
¯
Member # 9042

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89 306  Ford pictures for 89 306    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ANYONE????!!!!!!

--------------------

89 lx: 306. edelbrock. heads..ported gt 40 manifolds..and all that other good stuff.

------------------
The ant-ghetto sign is no joke. Degrade this forum with ghetto behavior and get the boot. Ghetto behavior such as street slang, no regard for education (spelling & grammar) and threatening others with violence has no place on CAFords.com. Please find another forum to demonstrate such behavior.

Camara90
1%
Member # 134

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camara90  Ford pictures for Camara90  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what do you mean grounding out to the head? Dis you use Anti Seize? If you did it could have got on the electrodes and can cause issues.

--------------------
92GT,stock short block,9:1 TFS 170's,perf rpm,custom cam,1 5/8 shorties,C4 trans.
std. 356hp, 350tq
11.85@111.9mph on motor.

89 306
¯
Member # 9042

all the wires are sparking from what looks to be the tip of the wire to the plug or head not sure withch one but its causing my car to run very rough..this is the second time it happens and i dont know whats causin it..but i did use that antisieze stuff but i made sure to only put it on the thread part..

--------------------

------------------

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Do you have headers? Sounds like the boots are melting causing the arcing from the wire to the closest ground.

If that's the case, you can buy some boot protectors to keep them from melting.

http://www.kingsbornewires.com/category.sc?categoryId=100

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
89 306
¯
Member # 9042

yea i have bbk headers..this hasnt happenend bfor tho thats why it seems odd to me

--------------------

------------------

89foxstang
¯
Member # 5908

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89foxstang  Ford pictures for 89foxstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
usually when your wires start arcing out you need to change the wires because it will keep doing it , most of the time it happens because they get burnt by the headers other times they et oil on them and it slowly degrades until it sparks out. you could see if the boot protectors work but i would buy new wires and boot protectors. [patriot]
89 306
¯
Member # 9042

they are new wires and plugs msd cap and rotor all new!!!

--------------------

------------------

89 306
¯
Member # 9042

forgot to mention this is the second time this happens!!

--------------------

------------------

89foxstang
¯
Member # 5908

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89foxstang  Ford pictures for 89foxstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the plug wires dont look burnt or crispy at all? the spark plug wires can get toasted in a matter of minutes if they arent protected or routed properly.
89 306
¯
Member # 9042

nop i checked everysingle one not burnt cracked or oily i dont know what it is

--------------------

------------------

89foxstang
¯
Member # 5908

and the boots are arcing to the head? have you tried some dielectric grease on the top of the spark plug to get the resistance down? its a long shot but im surprised thats whats happening without any burnt or cracked boots
asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You could have the metal clip that connects the wire to the plug pushed too far one way or the other allowing it to arc. Make sure that all metal is well inside the boot. The spark is following the path of least resistance and its seeing the headers as a better place to go than the end of the plug so its gotta be a wire problem.

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
89 306
¯
Member # 9042

ill check them even tho they are brand new..i had the ford racing wires with new plugs and it did the same.. any other ideas u guys have????

--------------------

------------------

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
how does the engine ground look?

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
84SVOrick
¯
Member # 9039

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 84SVOrick  Ford pictures for 84SVOrick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
are you sure u got the rite firing order???

--------------------
Bay Area Stunnaz
RIP Jeannera "FOXY302"
10/29/87-10/9/10
1984 SVO 302 HCI a basic bitch
1986 GT FOXY302 stolen and totaled R.I.P.

Posts: 1928 | From: Vallejo CA | Registered: Mar 2009  |  :
SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blind:

I would try running a jumper cable from the negative side of the battery to some bracket attached to the heads and see if the arcing goes away.
Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SteveL:
quote:

I would try running a jumper cable from the negative side of the battery to some bracket attached to the heads and see if the arcing goes away.
That's a good idea, I didn't think of a grounding issue.

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
89 306
¯
Member # 9042

i will try that..the engine is missin the ground from the firewall to the head on the lft side .....but its wierd cuz i had the car for two years and none of this was a ptoblem

--------------------

------------------

50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50Reasons  Ford pictures for 50Reasons    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

thats what i was going to say sounds like the car is looking for ground is the ground hooked to the back of the head is the batt ground hooked to the body?

--------------------
50Reasons Car Club President
Daniel/50Reasons
http://youtu.be/n_UkDg_F4MQ
https://youtu.be/066xRvxKy-g

Posts: 9483 | From: Sacramento Ca | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
89 306
¯
Member # 9042

its missing that ground...wat wire do i use for ground??.. lik the bttery cable or any anything

--------------------

------------------

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 89 306:
its missing that ground...wat wire do i use for ground??.. lik the bttery cable or any anything

go to kragen/etc and pick up some battery cables that have bolt holes on the ends, then ground from -

-battery to swaybar mounting bolt on drivers side subframe
-same swaybar bolt to engine, either use a bolt off the p/s, a/c, or an empty bolt hole in the front of the drivers side head

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
89 306
¯
Member # 9042

i did that and its still running a lil rough..i dont know what the heel is wrong with it but at this point im ready to give up on the whole car..any wana buy it?
[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------

------------------

CHP2981
¯
Member # 9240

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CHP2981  Ford pictures for CHP2981    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I see your using Edelbrock heads are you using the longer plugs because I didn't and couldn't figure it out why it ran like shit. Then I read that you need the longer plugs because the stock type don't go in enough.

--------------------
No half steppin

89 306
¯
Member # 9042

i used the the same ones it had on the but new ones...didnt have a problem before

--------------------

------------------

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com