Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Connecting AOD and 302

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Connecting AOD and 302
Jonny421Blaze
¯
Member # 9303

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jonny421Blaze  Ford pictures for Jonny421Blaze    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm a noob, so sorry if this sounds dumb. I have just completed rebuilding my 1988 mustang's 302 and transmission. Before I put the engine back into the motor I would like to connect the Tranny and Motor. My question is, what is the proper procedure of connecting the AOD to the Engine? I Put the torque converter in. Where do I go from here. Thanks for any help.

--------------------
Rebuilt '88 302. E303, BBK Cold Air, 70mm MAF, 70mm BBK TB, TF heads, Shorty BBK headers, Cobra Manifold, 19lbs. inj, M2300K brake kit.

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
slide the trans onto the back of the engine and bolt the bellhousing to the block, it helps to wiggle the trans around to get the splines to line up

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Adam5.0
¯
Member # 6995

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adam5.0  Ford pictures for Adam5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Make sure to fill the converter with ATF before you bolt them together

--------------------
want something old and japanese

Posts: 1609 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Aug 2006  |  :
Jonny421Blaze
¯
Member # 9303

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jonny421Blaze  Ford pictures for Jonny421Blaze    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Now what do I do with the torque converter and the flywheel or flex plate? The bolts on the converter does not extend far enough into the flex plate. Is it ok to pull converter forward? Then screw them down? Thanks.

--------------------
Rebuilt '88 302. E303, BBK Cold Air, 70mm MAF, 70mm BBK TB, TF heads, Shorty BBK headers, Cobra Manifold, 19lbs. inj, M2300K brake kit.

turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Put the starter indexing plate on then bolt the flexplate to the crankshaft.

Insert the converter into the trans making sure it seats on the front pump tabs.

Install onto back of block via dowel pins and run the bolts tight.

Then spin the converter around and pull it forward to line up the converter bolt holes in the flexplate with the converter itself.

Install the converter bolts and you will see the converter move forward some more than likely.

If it is jammed tight and not wanting to spin freely it probably has an issue like covnverter off of the pump splines or bur on the hub flange on the crankshaft side.

Then install your dust plate shield and starter.

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
Jonny421Blaze
¯
Member # 9303

I would like to thank you all for your help!!!!! I got it installed no problem. Now if you guys have any tips on installin the Engine and Tranny into car to drive shaft. I would appreciate the help> Thanks

--------------------

turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Drop the driveshaft rear flange then slide it back a bit.

Use a cherry picker to lower the motor/trans into the engine bay.

Kind of a tight squeeze to get motor/trans into the engine bay of a 5.0 but it is easily done.

I always remove the radiator to do this.

--------------------

fam_lace
¯
Member # 8565

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fam_lace  Ford pictures for fam_lace    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i got a b&m 2500 stall for that car 100 bucks

--------------------
rip matt i love u cuz
351w h/c/I street car

BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
jack the rear of the car up it a hella easier that way
Jonny421Blaze
¯
Member # 9303

Thanks again for all of your help. I got the engine in last night with no problems next is getting all the sensors and the vacuum lines in correctly. If anyone has any diagrams, I would appreciate that. I wish I could uplaod some pics for ya'll but it won't let me do that. Sorry [Confused]

--------------------

Jonny421Blaze
¯
Member # 9303

P.S. I have a cobra manifold. is there any difference in the sensors and/or vacuum lines?

--------------------

turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

All the diagrams you need. Cobra intake will make no difference on vacuum outputs you need.

http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/

--------------------

Jonny421Blaze
¯
Member # 9303

Thanks turbo u have been very helpful. [patriot]

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com