Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » rear axle bearings

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: rear axle bearings
VENOMUS PONY 5.0
¯
Member # 7785

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for VENOMUS PONY 5.0  Ford pictures for VENOMUS PONY 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
they are making some noise i think its time to replace i was told that i would need a "side hammer" is there any other way to pull them out. plus would like autozone have something that i can rent out.

--------------------
If You Want More Inches - Stroke It!!!
Mystery stang in the works..

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
autozone/kragen/harbor freight can rent/sell you a slide hammer.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
S351-R
CAFords OG
Member # 1605

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for S351-R  Ford pictures for S351-R    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by VENOMUS PONY 5.0:
they are making some noise i think its time to replace i was told that i would need a "side hammer" is there any other way to pull them out. plus would like autozone have something that i can rent out.

The axle bearings are an interference/press fit. A slide hammer with the proper bearing puller attachment is the easiest way to pull them. Check the axles where the bearings ride on also for any galling.

[ July 23, 2009, 03:08 AM: Message edited by: S351-R ]

Ken
¯
Member # 9328

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken  Ford pictures for Ken    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It's really easy to screw up the new bearing seal, if you try to beat the new bearing onto the axle.
I highly recommend using a press. If you don't have one, bring it to a shop that does. Good luck.

Ken

--------------------
08 Shelby GT #1292
05 F-150 STX
66 Mustang 2+2

Captain Obvious
¯
Member # 7842

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain Obvious  Ford pictures for Captain Obvious    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
how do you use a shop press to install a axle bearing?
that must be one huge press.
just use a hammer and the old bearing race to drive the new bearing in.

[ July 23, 2009, 11:05 PM: Message edited by: 91fox ]

--------------------
It's NOT illegal. It's just frowned upon, like masturbating on an airplane.

Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hes confused witha 9 or 8 inch rear end.nothing goes on fox axles. but do check the axles for bearing wear, if so they sell a bearing axle fix kit they call it something else. but i dont remember, but it relocates the bearing out past the axle more.some people say they dont like it, and they leak but ill run some black atv around the housing before install. never leak then.or u can buy new axles is the alternative.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com