Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » gt40 exploder intake install?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: gt40 exploder intake install?
87 4spd GT
¯
Member # 9216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87 4spd GT  Ford pictures for 87 4spd GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So I picked up an explorer intake with internal egr and a 1" spacer about 6 months ago. Now I am going to be installing this soon. Now is there is anything I should prepare for before I dig in. I am pretty good with mechanics, but this is my first STANG so its pretty new to me. I have researched a little on the install for this but I am still baffled on the routing of the vacuum lines and the ACT. Some have said they left it sitting on the intake with no problems, some have said they put in in their air intake tube or the #5 boss after being tapped. What works best? Also current mods are under-drive pullies, headers, o/r h-pipe, flows, stage 2 shift kit and 3.73's. Should I notice a big difference with this install and should I go with the spacer or not? thanks in advance!

--------------------
Putting a 'Playboy' brand g-string on your 'ol lady does not make her a Playmate

89 306
¯
Member # 9042

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89 306  Ford pictures for 89 306    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the vacumm lines could be plugged up if u wish u dont really need them plus if something is wrong u know its not a vacumm leak [Big Grin]
but other than that it should be an easy install and the spacer if u really dont need it dont use it just make sure he bottom of the upper and top of lower manifold ports match

--------------------
02 mustang gt...mods soon to come!

89 lx: 306. edelbrock. heads..ported gt 40 manifolds..and all that other good stuff.

------------------
The ant-ghetto sign is no joke. Degrade this forum with ghetto behavior and get the boot. Ghetto behavior such as street slang, no regard for education (spelling & grammar) and threatening others with violence has no place on CAFords.com. Please find another forum to demonstrate such behavior.

87 4spd GT
¯
Member # 9216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87 4spd GT  Ford pictures for 87 4spd GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Now if I plug up all these vacuum lines will I still be able to pass emissions? Any problems with that? And yes everything seems to match up just fine with the manifolds. Only reason I would use the spacer is to help with the torque I lost when I removed the cats....

--------------------
Putting a 'Playboy' brand g-string on your 'ol lady does not make her a Playmate

89 306
¯
Member # 9042

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89 306  Ford pictures for 89 306    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
im not too sure about the emissions part..what kind of exhuast are u running?? u dont lose much torque (if any is lost) when removing the cats..although ur exhuast will be a bit louder..as long as ur not runnig straight pipes u dont got to worry about losin torque

--------------------

89 lx: 306. edelbrock. heads..ported gt 40 manifolds..and all that other good stuff.

------------------
The ant-ghetto sign is no joke. Degrade this forum with ghetto behavior and get the boot. Ghetto behavior such as street slang, no regard for education (spelling & grammar) and threatening others with violence has no place on CAFords.com. Please find another forum to demonstrate such behavior.

87 4spd GT
¯
Member # 9216

well I am running the hooker super comp headers, with an o/r h-pipe and flows. I was told that with that combo, with not many other mods that I would lose some of my bottom end torque? Not enough back pressure?

--------------------

89 306
¯
Member # 9042

well pretty much the flows have some back pressure that evens it out..if u did "lose" any torque u gain it all back at higher rpms so no worries...i have bbk headers o/r h pipe any dynomax bullets the bullets are a straight through design..no power lost and actually gained power over my previous 2 chamnberd borlas..although alot louder now...

--------------------

------------------

87 4spd GT
¯
Member # 9216

Ya it seems its the bottom that was lost a bit but higher up much better. So will the spacer help or is that a waste?

--------------------

89 306
¯
Member # 9042

honestly i wouldnt use it..only time ive seen people use it is for clearance issues..if u have all the clearance you need id say put it to the side and go on with ur install

--------------------

------------------

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the vacuum lines are needed for smog and the vent controls on your dash, without vacuum to the vent controls only your defrost vents will blow air (hot or cold), the manifold supplies the vacuum to the vacuum tree, and supplies vacuum to your fuel pressure regulator.

you can't just cap them all off and expect it to run right [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
89 306
¯
Member # 9042

dude this guys is running a o/r h pipe with no cats!! so by that im assuming he doesnt worry about the smog part..and u cud cap them off and run right jus keep the ones u need and ull be fine...

--------------------

------------------

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 89 306:
dude this guys is running a o/r h pipe with no cats!! so by that im assuming he doesnt worry about the smog part..and u cud cap them off and run right jus keep the ones u need and ull be fine...

and what will be done for the manifold vacuum supply for the vacuum powered brake booster, or the fuel pressure regulator?

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

87 4spd GT
¯
Member # 9216

I still have the stock cats which I plan on just swapping when it comes time to renew. I know the intake supplies vacuum to the vacuum tree and what I wanted to know is what ones can be plugged and what others are needed.....

--------------------

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

-large front vacuum port goes the EVAP canister on passenger frame rail, this is needed for smog and to vent the gas tank so it doesn't over pressurize (GOOD THING)

-large rear vacuum port goes to vacuum tree, this is required for cruise control, a/c, dash vent control, TAB/TAD air pump solenoid control, and brake booster
-another large rear vacuum port go to the PCV valve on the lower intake, this is required if you have the tube hooked up from your throttle body to the passenger valve cover, and required for smog

-small rear vacuum port goes to fuel pressure regulator
-another small rear vacuum port goes to EGR sensor, this opens the EGR at part throttle, needed for smog

I see no reason to plug any of them.

[ July 01, 2009, 10:04 PM: Message edited by: Blind ]

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

87 4spd GT
¯
Member # 9216

Thanks Blind, I check your car domain page and very nice build. i also saw you are from Camarillo. I was stationed at naval air weapon station back in 95-98, loved in there.

Thanks for the help. Appreciate it.

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com