Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 331 Stoker

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 331 Stoker
FRC_Kid
¯
Member # 8940

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FRC_Kid  Ford pictures for FRC_Kid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a bare block and plan on building a 331 out of it. I called my local speed shop and they told me $1500 minimum for any machine work. is that legit? plus if that true i may just go with a 306 instead. anyone know of some good shops anywhere in the bay???

--------------------
Pretend Racecar Driver- C5 FRC

Ford, GM, & Dodge is what I'm all about

Posts: 2578 | From: All over the Peninsula | Registered: Feb 2009  |  :
RAP66
¯
Member # 3360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RAP66  Ford pictures for RAP66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd have to say that sounds almost right, but I got my stroker as a long block so everything was included with the price. Have you called the other machine shops to compare pricing??

--------------------
91GT Kurgan Tuned:12lbs of boost 492.4 rwhp / 483.1 rwtq
http://killcarb.org/

www.fordstrokers.com

Posts: 893 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
LX347hatch
¯
Member # 8668

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LX347hatch  Ford pictures for LX347hatch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Fuk no bro thas way too much for machine work...juss call joes engine shop in concord ..great work bro.my cousin Had a block machined by him ..plastigauged all his work ..checked all bores ..and it was great work ..

[ May 28, 2009, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: 91silverbullet ]

Posts: 1416 | From: El Sobrante | Registered: Sep 2008  |  :
warhorse58gt
¯
Member # 7702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for warhorse58gt  Ford pictures for warhorse58gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
it all depends on how much they need to do to your block...and the cheapest price isn't always the best price...

--------------------
WOLFPACK RACING

With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.

83gt 354ci sbf 9.40 @ 143
77 cobra 2 171ci 97hp of pure fury!

1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1SLOWLX  Ford pictures for 1SLOWLX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you get what you pay for I learned the hard way. But never again will I take it somewhere that cheap just because I know what cheap means

--------------------
Built Tuff with your stuff ;)

threethirty1
¯
Member # 7814

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for threethirty1  Ford pictures for threethirty1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sounds about right..i got mine done locally too. Of course i supplied all my own parts.
I couldnt be more happy with my motor.

--------------------
1987 Black GT
factory zero option car

Adam5.0
¯
Member # 6995

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adam5.0  Ford pictures for Adam5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 91silverbullet:
Fuk no bro thas way too much for machine work...juss call joes engine shop in concord ..great work bro.my cousin Had a block machined by him ..plastigauged all his work ..checked all bores ..and it was great work ..

1500 sounds right. I dont know if I would trust a legit machine shop to use plastiguage, much more accurate ways to check clearances. You get what u pay for

--------------------
want something old and japanese

Posts: 1609 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Aug 2006  |  :
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 1SLOWLX:
you get what you pay for I learned the hard way. But never again will I take it somewhere that cheap just because I know what cheap means

Fuck yeah.. you get what you pay for. Honestly it should not cost much more in machine work to build a 331 than at 306. There isn't much clearancing that needs to be done for this setup.
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
LX347hatch
¯
Member # 8668

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LX347hatch  Ford pictures for LX347hatch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
R U TALKING ABOUT 1500 FOR THEM ASSEMBLING UR SHORTBLOCK?? THENIF THATS THE CASE THEN YEA THAS GOOD..BUT 1500 FOR JUSS MACHINING UR BLOCK AND YOU ASSEMBLING IS WAY TOO MUCH..IN MY OPINION..I ASSEMBLED A FEW SHORTBLOCKS THAT CAME FROM JOE AND BEEN GREAT
FRC_Kid
¯
Member # 8940

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FRC_Kid  Ford pictures for FRC_Kid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
they said 1500 just to machine it not assemble it. can some of you throw out some good machine shops? also how much should expect to pay to make my 302 into a 306

--------------------
Pretend Racecar Driver- C5 FRC

Ford, GM, & Dodge is what I'm all about

Posts: 2578 | From: All over the Peninsula | Registered: Feb 2009  |  :
turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So just to deck, bore/hone with torque plates,align bore, install new cam bearings and freeze plugs, tap oil galleys they wanted $1500??? WAY TOO MUCH.

Dont waste that kind of money on a stock block when you can make enough power, properly tuned, to split a stock block with factory hyper pistons.

Hell no!

[ May 29, 2009, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: turbo50 ]

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
94 N.C.F GT
TEAM PLATINUM
Member # 8722

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94 N.C.F GT  Ford pictures for 94 N.C.F GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Robs machine shop on industrial blvd 510 732 1909
Talk to rob jr cool dude

--------------------
TEAM PLATINUM
87LX:(D D) ORANGE coupe
94GT:(427) Its a BEAST on the streets but in the garage it stays ASLEEP. N/A

Posts: 1313 | From: RICHMOND/sanpablo | Registered: Oct 2008  |  :
LX347hatch
¯
Member # 8668

quote:
Originally posted by turbo50:
So just to deck, bore/hone with torque plates,align bore, install new cam bearings and freeze plugs, tap oil galleys they wanted $1500??? WAY TOO MUCH.

Dont waste that kind of money on a stock block when you can make enough power, properly tuned, to split a stock block with factory hyper pistons.

Hell no!

haha thas wut I said...that's like 600 worth of work tops
Nastysvt
¯
Member # 6431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nastysvt  Ford pictures for Nastysvt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you could try calling Dave's Machine Shop In Fremont. They have a pretty good rep..

--------------------
Built 98 Cobra
Built C6 Z06
Daily TBSS

Posts: 2575 | From: Valley to the Bay | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
NightmareB4Xmas_68
¯
Member # 6371

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NightmareB4Xmas_68  Ford pictures for NightmareB4Xmas_68    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 427 StRoKeR 94 GT:
Talk to rob jr cool dude

+1 cool ppl over there they did mine 4 a lil over 800. but u will hav to take em a rod piston and the crank so they can zero deck it. good luck [patriot]
Posts: 827 | From: OAKLAND,CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i charge 700 to tear down an assemble almost any v8 these 5.0 are buot the easiest they come the machine work to retro fit a 331 into a stock block is just a little clearancing the bottom of the clinder walls at the bottom where the crank an rods would hit, an as for actuaal machine work of the block i have here done locally who is a personal freind of mine who takes much pride in his work something that is getting rarer an rarer, u never know how much machining is actuall needed unless u machine shop tooled uped which none of us are, but i trust my buddy for sure an if u need it assemmbled that would be me the one stop shop, 1500 min and they havent seen your block yet that is no good, my buddy charges 100 to fully inspect an check for cracks an stuff just to tell u you u got somethin good to work with an what need to be done to do what u want to do, he does the maching an i do the assembling ive been doing this set up for bout 10 years same guy never no problems probable done close to 75 100 motors complete like this no problems! im in a rush to the swap meet u got any question call 707 297 0868
FLP
¯
Member # 9191

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FLP  Ford pictures for FLP    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 427 StRoKeR 94 GT:
Talk to rob jr cool dude

++++1

--------------------
If you build it DRIVE it...

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com