Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Fuel system issue, or tune issue?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Fuel system issue, or tune issue?
Reloaded83
¯
Member # 8647

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reloaded83  Ford pictures for Reloaded83    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My '04 Mach 1 currently has a "break in" tune using Sniper. The car is going to a dyno (as soon as I figure out who I'm taking it to) to be tuned, and I'll be switching to SCT. I want to make sure that the car is ready to be tuned. The car takes about 3-5 seconds of cranking in the morning before it actually starts. Also, with a mechanical fuel gauge hooked up, the car was idling around only 29 psi. It would drive fine out of boost, but lean out (17.1 or higher) if you stabbed the gas or if you went into boost. So I changed out the fuel pump as the Cobra pumps that were in there were used and I've had them for a year. After that, the car reacted much better. You could gas it without it leaning out like before. I took it out for a drive yesterday, and if you roll into the throttle, I could get it up to about 8-9 PSI with an AFR of around 12-12.2 But if you stab the throttle or go WOT from a roll, it would lean out the same way. Needless to say, the car hasn't been driven much due to the lean issue. And though the engine does have a warranty, I'd prefer not to have my car down for another few weeks while another engine gets put in. My question is, do I have something wrong in my fuel system? Are my injectors too large for the fuel pump setup I'm running? I've been advised that at this power level I should be fine with what I have and I personally know a Cobra running almost my exact setup (I think he has a 4lb lower, same upper), and making 480something on pump gas to the wheels with no problems.

Basically I want to make sure that it's just the current tune that is the problem so that when I do send the car out to be dyno tuned, I know it can be. I'm sure I'll leave out some important info, so I'll try and answer any questions as best I can.

Mods on the car currently:
'04 Cobra longblock
Mach 1 PCM
2.76 pulley
JLT high boost intake
63lb injectors
Cobra tank/NEW Cobra pump assy. as of two days ago
Boost-a-Pump (40 amp)
Sniper MAF
LFP heat exchanger
NGK TR6 plugs

My old set up was a stock Mach block with a 3.40" pulley and 39lb injectors with the used Cobra tank/pumps/no BAP. I never had a problem of leaning out before. Under WOT I was always around 11.8 and it started right up every time.

I'm still not totally sure where I want to take the car to get tuned, but I have heard a lot of good things about AED and I believe someone from that shop is here on the forums? So I may be getting ahold of them to see if they can take care of the car for me. Thank you for reading my novel and any help is always appreciated.

[ May 15, 2009, 11:23 AM: Message edited by: Reloaded83 ]

--------------------
2004 DSG Mach 1, '04 Cobra swapped. 422 HP / 453 TQ

Posts: 115 | From: Foster City, CA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  :
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
1st off, I wouldn't go under boost until you get a proper dyno tune. It sounds like you "should" have enough fuel. I would talk to a tuner about your fuel system setup and if they say it's cool then get it to the dyno and have it tuned before you blow your motor.
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
Reloaded83
¯
Member # 8647

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reloaded83  Ford pictures for Reloaded83    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Trust me, I haven't driven it in boost since it has leaned out. And the car has been sitting for about a week while I figure out where to take it. I definately understand that the engine could easily let go if I drive it while lean. [Smile]

Thanks for the reply.

--------------------
2004 DSG Mach 1, '04 Cobra swapped. 422 HP / 453 TQ

Posts: 115 | From: Foster City, CA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  :
SHOalex
¯
Member # 7720

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SHOalex  Ford pictures for SHOalex    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Who ever you decide to get the tune from ask them first they should be able to steer you in the right direction for sure

[ May 15, 2009, 05:27 PM: Message edited by: SHOalex ]

--------------------
BAM! POW! Right in the kisser.

94 N.C.F GT
TEAM PLATINUM
Member # 8722

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for 94 N.C.F GT  Ford pictures for 94 N.C.F GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A.E.D. IN SAC [patriot]

--------------------
TEAM PLATINUM
87LX:(D D) ORANGE coupe
94GT:(427) Its a BEAST on the streets but in the garage it stays ASLEEP. N/A

Posts: 1313 | From: RICHMOND/sanpablo | Registered: Oct 2008  |  :
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ive been using aj's tune shop in napa, dude is awsome and way helpfull way knowlegable on many systems 707 812 4195.he aint happy unless your happy type of person.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com