Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » TAKING OFF WEIGHT FOR 03 COBRA ANY SEGESTIONS

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: TAKING OFF WEIGHT FOR 03 COBRA ANY SEGESTIONS
03Sn8k3
¯
Member # 8170

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for 03Sn8k3  Ford pictures for 03Sn8k3    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i HAVE A 03 COBRA LOOKING TO REMOVE SOME WEIGHT OFF MY CAR BUT DONT WANT TO REMOVE EVERYTHING
ANY SEGESTIONS ON HOW TODO IT OR WAT TO REMOVE

[ March 26, 2009, 01:02 AM: Message edited by: 03svtsonic ]

--------------------
NO JK

Posts: 519 | From: Bay Area,Ca | Registered: Jan 2008  |  :
cobraracer46
¯
Member # 1142

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraracer46  Ford pictures for cobraracer46    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 03svtsonic:

Start by looking at the mirror. Are you over weight and out of shape?

--------------------
2001 SVT cobra convertible with a Viper T56, Fikse wheels, Griggs frame kit, roll bar, Vortech, 4:30 gears, brembo GT brakes and more.

Posts: 1172 | From: Woodside California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  :
SSSSIKH
¯
Member # 8397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SSSSIKH  Ford pictures for SSSSIKH    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you should have bought a honda, if you wanna strip your car, lol

--------------------
AED
WWW.AEDHP.COM

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Start by removing the passenger seat. Next consider a tubular front suspension w/ coilovers. Also, you can move your battery to the trunk for better weight distribution.
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
03Sn8k3
¯
Member # 8170

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03Sn8k3  Ford pictures for 03Sn8k3    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
DONT THINK I AM A WEIGHT TO THE CAR ONLY WEIGHT 135POUDS BUT DONT LIKE HONDAS THANKS FOR THAT

--------------------
NO JK

warhorse58gt
¯
Member # 7702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for warhorse58gt  Ford pictures for warhorse58gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
i HAVE A 03 COBRA LOOKING TO REMOVE SOME WEIGHT OFF MY CAR BUT DONT WANT TO REMOVE EVERYTHING

look at your car.. then everything you can live without.. dump it. carpet you stock seats, rear seats.. like i said everything you can live without.

--------------------
WOLFPACK RACING

With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.

83gt 354ci sbf 9.40 @ 143
77 cobra 2 171ci 97hp of pure fury!

phildog
¯
Member # 1214

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phildog  Ford pictures for phildog    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dump the A/C and the power steering too, that gets weight off the front, and makes it a lot easier to work around the motor. Second, put the battery in the trunk.

I would focus on the front of the car, as Terminators are pretty nose heavy, with the cast iron block and cooling for the blower.

Then go after anything that is not absolutely required to go fast:

inner bumpers
sound deadening
seats
stereo
switch to GT brakes in front
switch to skinnies up front
dump the HVAC box, and controls and all the assorted junk under the dash

The trade off is that now you just raped a car of most of its market value, except for a drag racer. But cutting weight is a cheap way to go faster!

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What we normally do is Swap out the IRS for a Solid. That's ~175lbs right there (depending on suspenssion choice).
Then:
Aluminum block vs Iron = 80lbs
Front tubular suspenssion = 35+lbs
Coil overs are a few lbs lighter as well.
Slicks & skinnies can be another 100lbs dropped depending on tires used.

This is about as far as we go with most 03/04 Cobras.
Of course you could go much further.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
03Sn8k3
¯
Member # 8170

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03Sn8k3  Ford pictures for 03Sn8k3    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
one question how would i get the bumper inserts
and how would the intercoler sit thats the only thing that suports it any segestions on how to
do it

--------------------
NO JK

03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
one question how would i get the bumper inserts
and how would the intercoler sit thats the only thing that suports it any segestions on how to
do it

The intercooler is under the supercharger [Wink] The heat exchanger is what is in the front bumper area. [patriot]

--------------------
2003 Redfire "AED" Cobra R.I.P

CPViolation
¯
Member # 6493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CPViolation  Ford pictures for CPViolation    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

Teksid Aluminum block. [Smile]
K-member, air, seats, sound system, rack and pinion power steering, IRS....
How far do you want to go with the weight removal?

[ March 28, 2009, 12:59 AM: Message edited by: CPViolation ]

Posts: 41 | From: Santa Clara, California | Registered: Feb 2006  |  :
03Sn8k3
¯
Member # 8170

I STILL DRIVE THE CAR DAILY SO I DONT WANT TO GUT MY CAR BUT DID REMOVE SOUND AND BACK SEATS IT FEELS BETTER AND I USE NITROGEN AIR ON THE TIRES DOES THAT HELP OR NOT I PROBLABLY TOOK OF ABOUT 110POUNDS OF THE CAR IS IT GOING TO MAKE A DIFFRENTS OR JUST WAISTING MY TIME PLEASE HELP [Smile]

--------------------
NO JK

Ty
¯
Member # 4920

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ty  Ford pictures for Ty  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
save yourself the hassle and buy a gutted fox roller and make that go fast

--------------------
DRIVE FAST TAKE CHANCES
----------------------------
90 gt nothin special, just your average bolt ons...OUT TO PASTURE
69 fastback project car

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com